Xfrog Plant Sampler 1

callifcallif Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I’m a Poser 9 user and I purchased the Xfrog Plant Sampler because it says in the product info:
Compatible 3D Software: DAZ Studio, POSER, Bryce
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/xfrog-plant-sampler-1

Thought the trees would be in obj format but when I opened the ReadMe after installation it says:
Required Products: BRYCE 5.5.

The files are in .obp and .xfr format, so you can’t open them in Poser?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Yes, it does say in the Prodcut Features:

Features
    •21 Bryce Models (7 Species with 3 ages per species)

It looks like the Poser option is a mistake, so you can get a refund from Support.

Bryce 7 Pro is also free for the moment, and you could try them in it to see if you can export from Bryce 7 and Import to Poser that way?

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

I was wondering how well these would export out as obj from bryce to use in DS/Poser (DS in my case.) There are other Bryce objects I've wondered this about also.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

If I remember correctly, those are trans-mapped images on a plane or billboard.
    basically an image of the plant, on a transparent background.

They're pretty old now, (which is why it says Bryce 5.5) .. but probably still useful.
    They should be usable in any version of Bryce, and most other 3D programs. although you may need to create a plane in poser and adjust the size, then apply the texture maps and possibly Alpha maps if the images are not in TIFF or PNG format.

It's still much easier and less resource hungry than a modelled plant or tree.

There are a lot of plants, flowers, and grasses available for Daz Studio and Poser.
    Bryce and Carrara both have Plant creation tools to allow you to create most tree's and plants with a bit of practice and some patience.

Hope it helps :)

• callifcallif Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, it does say in the Prodcut Features:

Features
    •21 Bryce Models (7 Species with 3 ages per species)

It looks like the Poser option is a mistake, so you can get a refund from Support.

Bryce 7 Pro is also free for the moment, and you could try them in it to see if you can export from Bryce 7 and Import to Poser that way?

Even though it says Bryce Models in the info I trusted that the Poser option was correct…my mistake…
    Will try to get a refund, I have Vue installed so I don’t think I will have any use for Bryce.
    Thank you so much for your fast reply :D

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Gedd :)

It's not usually worth exporting out a tree or plant, from Bryce or Carrara, since they're both using a system of "virtual plants" and not real high polygon models,.. so when you convert that plant to a real model, you'll end up with something that you could only load a couple of trees into a scene before you had memory issues, or poblems moving around the scene.
    a single tree, with leaves, could easily exceed 100,000 polygons.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,141
    edited December 1969

Just as a matter of info, there are some free x-frog plant models available in a choice of formats from the x-frog website - see:
    http://xfrog.com/130-free-xfrogplants-now-available/
    Formats include OBJ (should be useable in Poser and DS) and also Vue.

edited December 1969

@contact

There were some billboard XFrog items for Poser in the store, but I don;t think these ones are just billboards, they are model trees.

The Billboards I have are called ps_ac1661b_XFrog_Basic.exe, and contain Poser prop files (PP2), but I think they may well have been vaulted by now. You could try a quick search in the store.

• callifcallif Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

MelanieL, JimmyC_2009 thank you for the tips!

3DAGE
    In the Sampler Pack I bought the texture files won’t show in the Poser library and there’s just one leaf per TIFF file. I’m to lazy to make my own tree that way :D

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited October 2012

Its not just sampler number 1. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/xfrog-plant-sampler-3 I bought sapler-3 because it says it is daz compatible... However, no luck. Its a bryce install.

I submitted a request in mantis bug tracker for the sampler I bought.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

Yes, there is an error in the description in the Store.

If you type in 'XFrog' in the Store search, there are loads of Billboard items which are all around $15.00, and come in the form of PP2 Poser files.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2012

Its not just sampler number 1. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/xfrog-plant-sampler-3 I bought sapler-3 because it says it is daz compatible... However, no luck. Its a bryce install.

Really this is not so much a bug, as wrong classification in the store. Not at all sure that action will be taken on a bug report, May be better to use the Zendesk system to report it, rather than the Mantis system.

AFAIK these are older products, and not likely to be changed now. A refund request would be in order.
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Really this is not so much a bug, as wrong classification in the store. Not at all sure that action will be taken on a bug report, May be better to use the Zendesk system to report it, rather than the Mantis system.

AFAIK these are older products, and not likely to be changed now. A refund request would be in order.

They do have website in their list of problem times in bugtracker. So that's what I used. .

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OK. There are unfortunately a few products which are Bryce only which have been wrongly categorised in the store. I surmise that whoever did the categorisation was confused and though they were OBJ, not realising that OBP is a Bryce specific format.

Hopefully someone will get round to redoing the ones that are wrong.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I normally use "Content Products" in the bugtracker, and under category "Web Page Issues". They usually fix them pretty quickly.