file saving time

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited December 1969 in The Commons

hello,

what I can`t understand.

saving a file with just my character Dixie and all hairdos (number is 3) and all the clothes (number is 15) (shown and hidden) lasts 1 hour or more

saving a file with the same character Dixie and all hairdos and all the clothes (shown and hidden) + the native village items (five tipis, sun lodge, sweat loge) + landscape items (hilly surround, floor from native village, 8 of Lisas dead bushes presets, two trees, a skydome, clouds + bird last less than 45 minutes (guess around 30)

can someone explain me how this can be?

Comments

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

What version? DS3 or DS4/DS4.5?

Usually the saving process shouldn't spend over 5-6 minutes on a simple character (with hairs, clothes etc.). A really complex scene with everything, including multiple persons, usually takes 7-10 minutes depending on how big the file is.

Another part is after saving to close DS and reopen a new session and load everything up. Should cut down on time as the cache is emptied.

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2012

i can say that 4.5RC1 is way faster at saving files than 4.1. 4.5RC1 isn't ready for "primetime" though, but I think you may see an improvement once it is finalized. Assuming you are on 4.1 right now. I can't related to DS3

Oh and may i ask what kind of specs do you have?

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Mr.Midnight, I've read that DS4 is a bit slower than DS3. But if that's true, and DS4.5 is faster that Ds4.1, then maybe DS4.5 is a bit faster (or equally fast) as DS3.

Hmmm, when they've fixed the forum/shop-issues, maybe they'll surprise us all with a finalized DS4.5 RC2? I hope so!

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

well it is not on the time itself, it is on the difference, a file that is much larger (much more items included) needs less saving time than a smaller file. that is what I can`t understand.

edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:
    well it is not on the time itself, it is on the difference, a file that is much larger (much more items included) needs less saving time than a smaller file. that is what I can`t understand.

Your first save is typically really slow in DS4. Typically characters save faster after that. Are you using a genesis character?

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:

Your first save is typically really slow in DS4. Typically characters save faster after that. Are you using a genesis character?

I am still working with studio 3 and v4.2

edited December 1969

not sure how it works in DS3, sorry