Unnecessary Stress on DAZ Servers

Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
edited December 1969 in The Commons

It occurred to me that the fact we can't easily tell what files we need to download means we download a lot of files we don't need to, putting unnecessary stress on the servers. It seems it would be in DAZ's own interest to get the downloads clarified. It would definately help the customers and help relieve a lot of stress all around.

Comments

• stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Being a Digital content provider they should be aware of the need for largre bandwidth hosting. I agree there should be a better way to manage downloads however the site itself is having hiccups.

It look's like it may be a while before they sort these issues out unfortunately.:-/

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I still would love to be able to choose platform and file type like we used to. I'd also love to be able to do a single download of what I need, rather than click, save as, click save as.... etc.

• RedHeadLilithRedHeadLilith Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I agree there is need to be some filter we can use to decide what files we wish to download -need to download ,the fact now new files are updated to come with the meta data in one file gives some help in the amount of files needs to be download , it's great change they made

hope to see more improvements like this soon :)

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

The old site had a filter for platform type. It was another of those things that got lost. It never had file type because except for a very few exceptions, everything was installers.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

As I understand it downloads are still a work in progress untill the download manager thingy they are planning is implemented. Knowing it will be out at some point is the reason that you can't select to see only win or mac for example. Doing work that they know will be redundant at some point would be a poor use of time.

edited December 1969

this is good news - download manager . is it something will be inside the website or like for example many sites uses program that manage your downloads like Origin , Ea and others ..

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

this is good news - download manager . is it something will be inside the website or like for example many sites uses program that manage your downloads like Origin , Ea and others ..

From what I've heard about it:
    1) It will be optional
    2) It will be a stand-alone program that you download once
    3) It can just check for updates and download them if you want to install them yourself, or it can install them for you
    4) It only downloads the files that have changed, rather than the entire product

edited December 1969

Thanks for the great news fixmypcmike sounds exciting !