Like a Phoenix from the Ashes, Who Wants to Render a Superhero?

Comments

• K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited October 2012

This Batman's got extra-meaty pecs. %-P And Wonder Woman's briefs also seem too... Well, you know...

A couple renders I did:

Battlescene1536x768.png
    1536 x 768 - 2M
    AvengerSquad98_1536x768.png
    1536 x 768 - 1M
    Post edited by K T Ong on
  • ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited October 2012

K T Ong said:
    This Batman's got extra-meaty pecs. %-P And Wonder Woman's briefs also seem too... Well, you know...

I figured Bats would have to have a well built upper body to do the heavy lifting he does and if you add the layer of kevlar/nomex and extra plating in the chest area, he would look really meaty.

As for Wondy's bikini bottom, I looked at the thongs from Ancient Greeks that females (and males! O.O) wore, and they are pretty skimpy, but nothing unusual by today's standards. Given that she was raised in that culture's traditions, it wouldn't bother her at all to wear such around, regardless of the carnal thoughts that doing so may elicit :)

While we're on the subject, here's another render of Diana. Again, credits to TerryMcG for the base Wondy costume, although materials and fitting with this outfit didn't work as well in DS as it does on Poser, so I had to modify it a bit. Not 100% satisfied, but it works well enough. Photoshop for a little overpainting and adjusting the lighting effects :)

Wonder_Womanlowres.jpg
    500 x 700 - 87K
    Post edited by Servant on
  • K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

I believe I know someone around here whose avatar happens to look a bit like Wondy, and who wouldn't exactly be pleased with the way you dress her. :)

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Hmmm? :blank:

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    Joequick said:
    Didn't notice I'd spun the eyeballs in opposite directions until after I'd completed the render. I wasn't going for comedy originally.

I love the shark guy! Very cool.

Joe you think your morphs will work in the poser conversions for genesis?

From what we've been told, If the files are in .duf format, they'll work in Poser. Since everything I'm working on right now has been passing through DS4.5 as I've been putting them together, they're all in .duf format. Muck and the Genesis Duckies aren't (being older), but they can be updated.

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

THOR - Heaven & Earth

thor_0001-copy.jpg
    821 x 1200 - 704K
    edited October 2012

made an attempt at sculpting my own hulk like full body morph for genesis. i think i need to redo the abdomen, in some poses i get a strong crease running across his stomach which leads me to think I scooted some of the mesh too far north or south.

tank2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 116K
    tank1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 98K
    Post edited by JoeQuick on
    edited October 2012

Joequick said:
    made an attempt at sculpting my own hulk like full body morph for genesis. i think i need to redo the abdomen, in some poses i get a strong crease running across his stomach which leads me to think I scooted some of the mesh too far north or south.

It looks great so far, but yeah, the midsection seems too... squat I guess is the word I'm looking for. How does it look when in a more extreme Hulk pose?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...OK, was messing around with Nata for Genesis last night and came up with this cutie...

red_rocket_post_2.jpg
    565 x 799 - 684K
    edited October 2012

The overall shape is nearly identical, but I repositioned where some of the polygons were in the abdomen and neck and got rid of the creases that had been forming. Looks like the fingers could be a bit thicker though.

TankTake2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 221K
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Anyone have an orange, rocky texture? Like a shader?

Thing.jpg
    783 x 881 - 100K
    edited December 1969

After looking at Joe's, I decided to up the size of the feet and hands but it looks a little off still to me.

Thing2.jpg
    783 x 881 - 108K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Nice Hulkster there, Joe. Are you using any helper morphs to get your shoulders to go down nicely like that? It was a really bugger for me to get the muscle morphs for Bruno to cooperate on the up and down arms dials. It was the only area that gave me that much hell. Still not tried to make a JCM yet. Still knee deep in ZBrush learning texturing right now... almost got something I like! ALMOST! lol

Nice shape there Robert! :-)

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    Anyone have an orange, rocky texture? Like a shader?

Look through JoeQuick's freebies, I believe he has made one for the Thing. You could use that. :)

edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    The overall shape is nearly identical, but I repositioned where some of the polygons were in the abdomen and neck and got rid of the creases that had been forming. Looks like the fingers could be a bit thicker though.

From where I'm sitting, the fingers are fine. You have greatly improved the stomach. It now looks muscular and the chest is looking good too but could be a bit more muscled too. Just a bit. I'd also try to get those legs to show more muscle definition. Two thumbs up so far, Joe! :)

edited December 1969

It looks like Joe's freebie is a texture map for Freak 3.

I was hoping on a shader but that is cool. I will figure something out.

If anyone finds a shader that can be modified, let me know.,

edited December 1969

Look again, he used it on F4, which means they should work on Genesis. :)

If I spot anything else, I'll letcha know. :)

edited December 1969

You're using zbrush now right RKane? Here's a brush Alpha.

thingbrush.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 105K
    edited October 2012

Autogroup your mesh. Ctrl click on the main body. Delete what is hidden. Auto group by uvs. Separate your figure into limb, face and torso groups.

Subdivide up to around 15 million, use the standard brush in dragdirect mode and set your alpha to be that image i uploaded above. Then you're just dragging that onto the figures surface in overlapping ways. You might have to adjust the brushes focus some to eliminate any hard straight edges on the outside rectangular borders of the brush..

Do this on your morphed mesh to avoid ugly stretching. If you're making a texture for an extreme morph, always paint it on to the morphed geometry (but don't tell that to the people who keep cranking out hideously amateurish stretched out textures at runtimedna).

Generate displacement maps for each of the three main groups once you're done (face, torso, limbs). In photoshop you can use gradient maps to make separate diffuse maps from your displacement maps. (you'd put orange at one end of the gradient map slider and black or brown on the other and slide them around until you get something that looks right. Then you save it as a preset so you can reuse it on the other two maps so they match)

example.jpg
    996 x 647 - 94K
    edited October 2012

Also, make sure to set the "overpainting", or whatever it's called, in the uv panel to something around 14 or greater to help eliminate seams in your textures. One of the textures I'd considered going with for Muck was one that was "thing like", but as you can see from this quick render he has a line that runs across his thigh. That's from not setting the uv overpainting high enough.

thinglikemuck.jpg
    800 x 800 - 248K
    edited December 1969

Question Joe... do you do full on textures in ZBrush or mostly just the morphs? I know that's probably a silly question since you just got through with your mini tutorial but one thing that is perplexing me... working on getting Bruno's skin, I'm about 90% there, very happy with the tones and some of the details but ... is there a way to keep a texture loaded but 'tint' it within ZBrush so I can keep with using the detail from the texture? I've tried just about every idea from using the alpha brushes (which didn't do squat for what I was after). With all the great works that come out of ZBrush I'm sure there is a way but I just can't figure it out. Watched a multitude of tutorials today and none of them touched on that.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Question Joe... do you do full on textures in ZBrush or mostly just the morphs? I know that's probably a silly question since you just got through with your mini tutorial but one thing that is perplexing me... working on getting Bruno's skin, I'm about 90% there, very happy with the tones and some of the details but ... is there a way to keep a texture loaded but 'tint' it within ZBrush so I can keep with using the detail from the texture? I've tried just about every idea from using the alpha brushes (which didn't do squat for what I was after). With all the great works that come out of ZBrush I'm sure there is a way but I just can't figure it out. Watched a multitude of tutorials today and none of them touched on that.

I'll adjust colors in photoshop using gradient maps or variations. Whatever you do, you have to do to all three maps, otherwise you'll get seams.

edited December 1969

Yea, I figured that PS was the solution but seems there should be a way in ZB considering all that it CAN already do! lol Thanks! :-)

edited October 2012

RKane_1 said:
    After looking at Joe's, I decided to up the size of the feet and hands but it looks a little off still to me.

I think this is on the right track. Maybe bigger arms, lats, and pecs. A wider waist and thighs might also be in order for Benjy Grimm. Thicker fingers, too. Is there a morph available to give him just 4 fingers and toes?

edited December 1969

The only masks I can think of that even remotely look like Hawkeye's are some of the masks for V4 (which can be refitted to anyone) in JoeQuick's freestuff in his ShareCG gallery. You could also try Heromorph download section. See if they have one.

edited December 1969

Just got around to purchasing Smay's new zombie textures. So far loving it, I turned Mr. Hyde into a zombie hulk :)

Next after this is definitely a resident evil render I think.

Interesting takes on Cap, Vision and Thor. Your whole render also looks very illustrative. You've done a good job getting the disparate textures and elements to all look a uniform style.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

Just got around to buying your Superhero pack for M4 and I have to say it is pretty damn awesome! Just been playing with it right now so I do not have anything worth showing yet. Did I see somewhere where you are doing an expansion pack for this and a V4 set as well, or am I just wishing I saw it?

edited December 1969

I could have swore I saw him making an expansion pack too. So far, he has only made some Super-Hero goodies for Golden Age Heroes in his freebies at ShareCG.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

I could have swore I saw him making an expansion pack too. So far, he has only made some Super-Hero goodies for Golden Age Heroes in his freebies at ShareCG.

Yeah I grabbed all of those when I heard about ShareCG, since I had plans on grabbing this set and I couldn't stand them being in my runtime with nothing to go with it. I am going to hve to break down and make something soon. Might have to try out a Punisher costume, or maybe a Deadpool.

edited October 2012

Joequick said:
    Just got around to purchasing Smay's new zombie textures. So far loving it, I turned Mr. Hyde into a zombie hulk :)

Next after this is definitely a resident evil render I think.

Interesting takes on Cap, Vision and Thor. Your whole render also looks very illustrative. You've done a good job getting the disparate textures and elements to all look a uniform style.

Thanks.

I've been experimenting with the Cap design for a little while now, so I've been jumping around with him.

Thor is influenced from the movies, and this version of Vision comes from an old, old arcade game I used to play at the mall in my area.

Does anyone still remember it?
    http://gamesdbase.com/game/arcade/captain-america-and-the-avengers.aspx

Total classic.

That was the Vision right after he was rebuilt and kept the look for most of the late 80s to mid 90s. Oddly, some artists drew him with bare feet (complete with toes).

On another note, your Captain America reminds me of his Nomad days http://www.forevergeek.com/wp-content/media/2012/04/Captain-America-Nomad-470x413.jpg and the bare chested Thor from Warren Ellis's run. Good times! :)

This discussion has been closed.