DS 4.5 questions/problems Move to Ground

larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
edited October 2012 in The Commons

Two new issues I haven't had prior to 4.5

I can't use the hotkey to move objects to the ground. I even changed the command in the preferences thinking it just didn't like CTRL D for some reason. Even when I changed it to CTRL Shift D it still will not work. It does work however if I spend the time going through the menu and select it that way.

SOLVED:How to I parent items to a Null parent without them moving? I used to have things positioned at different places, then parent them to a null so I can rotate them around in place. Can't do that anymore because they warp to the center!

Any ideas, thanks in advance.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Nothing should move when parenting to a null, but the Null will have a position at 0,0,0, and when the Null is selected, everything will rotate around that point.

You can now use the Group option instead in the Create Menu which DS never had before.

Ctrl+D works fine for me, what version of DS4.5 are you using?

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2012

yep what you are saying about the null is how i've used it in the past. if i didn't want to move around 0,0,0 i would move it. However now everything gets sucked into a black hole in the center.

Im on the stable release of 4.5.0.114

ill see about grouping-EDIT grouping works thanks

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

In the change parent dialog there is a "Parent in Place" option. This will parent the item without moving it. If, however, this is unchecked then the item will move to the location of the Parent.

Kendall

edited December 1969

In the change parent dialog there is a "Parent in Place" option. This will parent the item without moving it. If, however, this is unchecked then the item will move to the location of the Parent.

Kendall

I saw something like at one point and tried to find it again. But typically I drag things to the null in the scene tab, its a lot faster when parenting a ton of items. Or does that not count as parenting? either way Thanks I'll try to see if I can find that option again.

edited December 1969

ok i figured it out. That is terrible. So I can't drag a dozen items to a null like I used to. And you can't bulk change parent can you? Thanks kendall, I was able to get it to work one item at a time but that's not as easy as it used to be. I think its good that there is an option of how to parent, but don't make it more time consuming.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Drag and Drop still works as long as Parent In place is on. It's Global but I can not find it now either.

edited October 2012

Jaderail said:
    Drag and Drop still works as long as Parent In place is on. It's Global but I can not find it now either.

oh its global, let me try again then. maybe will work now that i did it manually

OK part one solved, thanks folks, I can now parent to a null and keep things in place. Also I can use groups.

So the solution is to move one item to a parent via the right click menu in the scene tab. Click the parent in place option. Then you can drag and drop a ton of items and they will retain their current positioning.

Now I just need to figure out my Ctrl-D drop to floor issue. Thanks again :-)

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Right click on an object, select "Change {item} Parent" It's 2nd from the bottom.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

oh its global, let me try again then. maybe will work now that i did it manually

OK part one solved, thanks folks, I can now parent to a null and keep things in place. Also I can use groups.

So the solution is to move one item to a parent via the right click menu in the scene tab. Click the parent in place option. Then you can drag and drop a ton of items and they will retain their current positioning.

Now I just need to figure out my Ctrl-D drop to floor issue. Thanks again :-)

^D works fine here on all of my "Windows" systems without any changes. Check to see if there's another Windows helper that's snatching ^D for it's own use.

Kendall

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Also, 4.5.1.6 is the latest non Beta release.

edited December 1969

^D works fine here on all of my "Windows" systems without any changes. Check to see if there's another Windows helper that's snatching ^D for it's own use. Kendall

I changed the hotkey to Ctrl Shift D and still no luck. Not sure what could be using Ctrl D or Ctrl Shift D for that matter. Not really sure how to see what hotkeys windows has assigned but It's worth looking up.

edited December 1969

Also, 4.5.1.6 is the latest non Beta release.

ugh, thanks...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

The Parent Items in Place menu option is still in the Scene pane's option menu, for me.

edited December 1969

^D works fine here on all of my "Windows" systems without any changes. Check to see if there's another Windows helper that's snatching ^D for it's own use.

Kendall

I changed the hotkey to Ctrl Shift D and still no luck. Not sure what could be using Ctrl D or Ctrl Shift D for that matter. Not really sure how to see what hotkeys windows has assigned but It's worth looking up.

If it is being caught in the input chain, most likely it isn't by Windows directly, but by some "helper" application that you have running. Look at any interface enhancers, screen recorders, popup managers, and the like... especially if you have IE running in the background. If you have any "bars" or plugins running in IE that want the keystrokes, then they'll get them before anything else.

Windows is a Single Event Queue OS so everything goes through the same series of checks before being given to the active window. If some service or event hook catches a specific event and removes it from the Queue, your active application will never see it.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Thanks Kendall, I turned off my nostromo pad which is really the only likely candidate but was mid render so I couldn't see if it worked. I definately never set anything up for Ctrl D or Ctrl shift D and I don't run IE ;)

I do have daz on a second machine so I'll try that as well tonight and see if it doesn't work there. Also I updated version to the latest to see if that would help with some issues I was having with Infinito sothat could help too.