Ghost Illustrated Novel?

DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Two weird things...

When did daz become a store for illustrated novels??? Seems very weird and kind of hope that's not the direction Daz sales will go.... I see Daz as a content provider for MAKING stuff like illustrated novels... if I want illustrated novels there's a ton of other places to go to.

Second, it has no vendor at all which is very very strange.

My two cents.

I mean the story looks awesome TBO but I don't come HERE to buy that stuff. So weird!!!

Comments

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Yeah, DAZ informed me I could start selling some of my "1:72 scale WWII Die-cast Model Aircraft" next month.

I sure hope some of you artists are interested in my already made don't need to do anything model planes.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

you mean like physical models of stuff? that's just so weird and total change in the daz store.... no offense but doubt i would buy, unless daz offered the opportunity for us to get our own things made into physical objects..... >_<</p>

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

You kinda have to read between the lines when I post something.

edited December 1969

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh O.o

• BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

I guess it'll just be an addition... Renderosity also has a novel in the marketplace, but I don't think the stores will change into novelselling stores. Might be more of a 'look what you can do with what you can buy here' kind of thing for the companies and kind of a testrun for the people who made the novels.

edited December 1969

i dunno, i don't mind buyign books online... and as i live overseas i do tend to buy mostly digital books. But I go to book sites for that, such as ebooks.com, not to a 3D store. So just seems weird for me. If I'm here browsing the store I'm looking for 3D stuff and not going to buy a book. If its a test run to see if a vendor's book will sell well I don't think its a best indication of the book's selling power if its into what I consider the wrong market location.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

GHOST is by Archangel_Gabriel, a veteran and extremely talented member of the 3D community for many years, and I believe he wanted to make it available here because of all the products he used in it's creation and to show what can be done using 3D products to make a comic. He has worked on this project for years and the book also has audio, it's not a quick 3D webcomic like many others. Please don't be too quick to say that items like his don't belong here.

edited December 1969

GHOST is by Archangel_Gabriel, a veteran and extremely talented member of the 3D community for many years, and I believe he wanted to make it available here because of all the products he used in it's creation and to show what can be done using 3D products to make a comic. He has worked on this project for years and the book also has audio, it's not a quick 3D webcomic like many others. Please don't be too quick to say that items like his don't belong here.

I never implied that it wasn't quality, on the contrary I have seen some amazing things made with daz studio. I can also understand having a product to showcase what can be done with Daz. But most of us are here because we already know what Daz is for and what it can do. Furthermore, I feel that it would garner more attention outside of Daz and if it sold at a bookselling website may help bring readers to the Daz site instead of merely impressing Daz shoppers. I still stand by my assertion that each thing has its place, and I daresay that Daz is not a bookseller. Sorry! Politely put and hopefully respectfully received. :)

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,748
    edited December 1969

I think it is a great idea to have things like this in the store.
    It can really showcase to new people the potential this software has.
    It can inspire those of us who want to up our illustrating skills by seeing the work of someone who does great work.
    It can attract new people to the site to try out the software and buy products here, making things more profitable for the vendors who in turn can be more inspired to put out new and better products.

Plus....it looks like a great book!

I am all for seeing different kinds of products show up in the store...if they are related to products here.

Great idea!

edited December 1969

To each their own, I suppose. But if I was at a computer store shopping for parts, I wouldn't also buy washing machine, or groceries, or painting supplies, or books, or anything else.

That's all I'm trying to say, it feels very out of place. If it rocks your boat and you'd buy, cool... I'm only here for 3D stuff. If I want books I'll go elsewhere.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I don't mind buying ebooks but I don't buy ebooks without a preview. The first few pages at least. No preview, no sale. And Daz isn't the first place I'd be going to buy ebooks.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

I, too, was a little taken aback at first glance. Then I thought, "well, why not?" on the basis that I assumed that the majority of the content was created in/with DAZ-related products. Not really looked into the content/author but, again, assumed that it'd be high quality.

Amazingly, I too live overseas ... I wonder if they are the same seas or same side of said seas as you, Belovedalia :)

I could not live without being able to physically traipse around book shops - ok, slight exaggeration there! My local Waterstone sells calendars, should I boycott them as they do not only sell books? After all, it so hard to avoid buying them! ;) Yes, I'm teasing! I really doubt DAZ will be deluged with books for sale as I can only imagine just how much work goes into producing one - and that is not detracting from all the hardwork done by 3D modellers!!!!.

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    I, too, was a little taken aback at first glance. Then I thought, "well, why not?" on the basis that I assumed that the majority of the content was created in/with DAZ-related products. Not really looked into the content/author but, again, assumed that it'd be high quality.

Amazingly, I too live overseas ... I wonder if they are the same seas or same side of said seas as you, Belovedalia :)

I could not live without being able to physically traipse around book shops - ok, slight exaggeration there! My local Waterstone sells calendars, should I boycott them as they do not only sell books? After all, it so hard to avoid buying them! ;) Yes, I'm teasing! I really doubt DAZ will be deluged with books for sale as I can only imagine just how much work goes into producing one - and that is not detracting from all the hardwork done by 3D modellers!!!!.

LOL I suppose there are people who perhaps possibly strangely enough go to waterstone to buy a ...calendar. >_< heh. I personally go there to gaze upon the wonderful things I can't afford and walk out and go to another shop where i actually buy stuff.

Wait who am I kidding?? The only stores I frequent are the toddler shops, the pharmacy, the online clothing store where i buy my clothes, and Daz/Rendo/RDNA/Philosopher's Egg. And Ebooks.com and fictionwise.com and yeah that's about it!! Oh and Taiwanese Ebay for anything extra....

HAH.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    I think it is a great idea to have things like this in the store.
    It can really showcase to new people the potential this software has.
    It can inspire those of us who want to up our illustrating skills by seeing the work of someone who does great work.
    It can attract new people to the site to try out the software and buy products here, making things more profitable for the vendors who in turn can be more inspired to put out new and better products.

Plus....it looks like a great book!

I am all for seeing different kinds of products show up in the store...if they are related to products here.

Great idea!

I'm with Raw on this one it shows what can be achieved with Daz/Poser and would inspire other people to have a go. Just for the record I was one of the people who sold a graphic novel at rendo and how it would detract from a site I will never know.
  • ArchangelGabrielArchangelGabriel Posts: 1
    edited October 2012

Hi Folks,

I'm happy to see that GHOST is being discussed. Perhaps I can offer some light on things.

1. DAZ and I discussed this project for some time with regards to offering it in the market place. Yes, it's definitely out of the main focus for DAZ with respect to models. However without DAZ models the project would have taken a completely different direction. If you'll recall Dan Farr also created a book Mr. Finnegan's Giving Chest using his products. While I can't recall if it's still available on DAZ it is up at Amazon and elsewhere. Hence he was open to the idea. We both agreed that it puts a very positive spin on the versatility of DAZ original and offered products and that showing what can be done with DAZ products would be inspirational to others interested in promoting their work. Call it an experiment.

2. I've seen come concerns about not being able to preview the prose content, A fair complaint. SO, head on over to www.ghostnovel.com and you can preview book 1 BLOOD: [GHOST is 4 sections]. We're also releasing it 20 pages every two weeks there, you can read it in its entirety of you want to wait for 8 months for get to the end. However it'll give you an excellent place to sample it. To answer why would you buy it when it's free? A: it won't be up there forever and B: Why wait, I hoped that the price isn't prohibitive and that folks would take a chance on a complete novel for an inexpensive cost.

3. The format. Flipbook is a technology that works great on PCs, and a MAC version is inbound as well. With respect to ePub, or Ipad applications, GHOST is unique and would need to be released more like the Dark Knight Returns Graphic Novel rather than a straight prose book. Nooks, Kindles and the like don't like pages with graphic elements on every page such as GHOST, that's another hurdle . To formally answer the question, yes we're doing a version for iPad to be released though the iTunes store. The beta is still being tweaked and should be ready soon.

I'm happy to entertain questions and concerns, and I'm very happy that this project is finally seeing the light of day and literally decades of development and false starts.

All I can conclude with is thank you for your interest and I hope you take a chance on GHOST, I think you'll enjoy it.

Regards,
    Daniel

Post edited by ArchangelGabriel on
  • jade monkeyjade monkey Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

well, i think it's pretty cool having it on the site -- it's art, and this is an art site, right?

i remember seeing some of the Ghost character images on the daz gallery waaaay back when i first joined daz -- so congratulations to the creators for so many years of hard work finally coming to fruition!

i was actually going to pop it in the cart, but since i'm on a mac, i guess the current version won't work for me. :down:

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

I'm glad to see it here in the store and I would love to see others follow.

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited December 1969

I've got to say I think it is sort of strange to see a "finished product" in the store too, but then again, why not? I don't really see a conflict, and the book looks very cool. Besides, the creator seems like a nice person and I like to support personable vendors. Offering an e-book isn't really that different from offering a written tutorial. I wouldn't anticipate Daz suddenly flooding the store with an insane amount of digital books, but offering a few select works that really showcase the products used doesn't bother me. I've paid more for inspirational art and the book looks like a good read and great value.

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

I don't see any issue with having it for sale. What I would say, though, is that DAZ probably needs to seriously look into creating a separate storefront for gallery images for sale, comic books made using DAZ products as well as DVDs, etc. I think all of their tutorial stuff could fall under the same category, so why not?

Retail is retail, revenue is revenue.

So long as the thing that was created used DAZ in some way shape or form, I'd love to see a storefront full of that stuff.

But I agree -- it's off-putting when it's in the middle of a 3D figure search. Same way tutorial DVDs sold on DAZ appear in the same search.

And hey -- the more 3D artists have places to sell their stuff the better. DA has a pretty nice set up for people who want to buy prints. Why not DAZ?

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

Its a GREAT thing to see something like this in the store!

• LilwolffLilwolff Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

I saw the flipbook and was most curious, it caught my eye and interested me. I had no reservations of it being in the store here. I remember Mr. Finnegan's Giving Chest and would recommend it to those with children in their lives. It is wonderfully written, illustrated and has a great message.

I also remember Daniel (ArchangelGabriel) from way back on the forums as a very gifted artist and a nice guy if I recall correctly. How thrilling this must be for you to have a long project dream reach its goal. I will not say final goal because there is always so much more you can do with a good story.

As far as price, I thought it was a great price for an introduction to something that has not been seen here before. I for one will certainly buy it! I extend my congratulations to all involved and wish you a very fruitful future. :-) Jenny