DSON Importer vs. CR2 Exporter

ilnyneilnyne Posts: 29
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Was just wondering if anyone knew what the difference was between these two products?

DSON Importer for Poser and Genesis to Poser CR2

I saw a Youtube video of the CR2 exporter in action, and it looks pretty straightforward. It creates an actual Poser CR2, so I'd imagine then it should be easy to import that into Carrara, which is my main rendering app. From what I've heard though, the DSON Genesis stuff won't work right in Carrara (because it's script based? I have no idea why).

And yes, I know that I should be able to work with Genesis directly in Carrara, yadda yadda yadda. No. I prefer to do everything in Poser and then import to Carrara just to do the rendering. But I'm skittish about installing all this new stuff because last time I did that there were severe repercussions, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can before I take the plunge and upgrade everything.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited October 2012

The DSON Importer has the advantage that it can provide features which aren't available in a Poser .cr2, such as alternate UV maps and Catmull-Clark Subdivision.

ETA: It also doesn't require DS.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • ilnyneilnyne Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

Gotcha. Okay, so sounds like for what I'm doing, I'll probably do well to pick up the Genesis to CR2 product, because I definitely need something that's going to behave like a normal Poser file when I'm working between programs!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

ilnyne said:
    Gotcha. Okay, so sounds like for what I'm doing, I'll probably do well to pick up the Genesis to CR2 product, because I definitely need something that's going to behave like a normal Poser file when I'm working between programs!

I don't think Carrara can read Poser weight-maps by default -- ISTR Fenric having a plug-in?