Suddenly DUF

info a411info a411 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have been experimenting with DAZ Studio 4.0 and Lip Synch to create some simple "talking head" type videos. I always saved the results as .DAZ files.

Now today I changed quite a few things at the same time, and when I try to save my .DAZ file, it opens a Save As dialog and only gives me the option to save as a .DUF file.

The things I changed today were:

- Upgraded to DAZ Studio 4.5
- Installed Bryce and Hexagon (latest versions), neither of which was on my system before.
- Started using V5 instead of G4
- Imported walls and furniture from Blender, using .DAE (Collada) format

Is DUF the new DAZ, or have I messed up?

Second question, am I going to have an easier life if I use Hexagon instead of Blender? I am getting patchy results when I render textured surfaces from Blender in DAZ.?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

Yes, .duf is the new extension for user files (it's a development of the .dsf format in DS 4.0, the extension is different to distinguish between user files in the content browser and asset files in the Data folder). The ability to save to .daz files was removed for stability.

Not sure about the second question - though really, as long as the mesh is clean (mostly quads, no n-gons) and uv mapped it shouldn't matter what application was used to create it.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

DS 4.5 uses the new DUF format for most things. The old .DAZ files can still be opened but not saved in that format.

You should have installed the new Genesis Starter Essentials file as well, since it contains Genesis in the new DUF format as well.

I don't see why you would have problems with textures from Blender, but Hexagon has a bridge to DAZ Studio which would be a bit easier than using OBJ exports. However, I would try to resolve the Blender problem if I were you, Hexagon is very intuitive I feel, but there is no point in learning a whole new program if you don;t need to.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

info said:
    I have been experimenting with DAZ Studio 4.0 and Lip Synch to create some simple "talking head" type videos.

DS 4.5 uses the new DUF format for most things.

So what you're saying is it's not same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was?