Do I Own What I Create In Daz?

eternum00eternum00 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Let's say that I want to... for example... take characters that I download here, background, buildings (and whatever) and I publish a graphic novel with it on Amazon's Kindle or something? Is what I create 100% mine or does it also belong to Daz?

Would I owe Daz royalties?
Is it illegal to use this content for anything beyond a hobby?
What if I made successful video game characters?

Before I spend any money here I would like to know what DAZ is actually offering in terms of content that I "direct" based upon DAZ's premade content. Thx in advance for your answer. If this was mentioned in the EULA i must have missed it.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

With few exceptions, the content from DAZ can be used for making personal or commercial renders...so, basically, yes, the images you make are yours, no other royalties needed. Basic rule of thumb...if it does not involve passing on the mesh/textures/other 'base' material in a way that can be reused as the original, (a rendered image generally qualifies) then it's yours.

Now with content from other stores or free content provided by others, the ReadMe/EULA/TOS applies and varies widely.

As to video games...there are separate licenses for that and they only cover select content.

• eternum00eternum00 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the quick response.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Most definitely in the EULA, you need to study it a bit more thoroughly.

I quote a couple of the clauses

you may copy, distribute, and/or sell your animations and renderings derived from the 3-D Model(

User shall not give, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer or dispose of the 3-D Model(s) on a temporary or permanent basis without the prior written consent of DAZ3D. DAZ3D'S 3-D Model(s) and/or contracts are non-transferable and shall only be used by the Licensed User. User may not reverse engineer, de-compile, disassemble, or create derivative works from the 3-D Model(s). These restrictions do not pertain to rendered images or pre-rendered animations.

So you can make renders or animations and distribute or sell them, but you are not allowed to distribute the model itself, in any form.

You are allowed to use the models, you do not own them. Renders of them are yours to do what you wish with.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538
    edited December 1969

A lot of the time, when you cannot use something commercially, it is due to trademark rather than copyright.

Suppose, for instance, that you produce a strip using a cute little pixie with a green & yellow color scheme. You own the copyright to the artwork, but you have used a trademarked character. The company that owns the trademark MAY ignore you as long as you're not using it commercially, but if you try to make any money they're going to come after you.

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

We see our customers using the content sold on our site for commercial use. Graphic Novels, commercial illustrations, animations, movies, hobby work, book covers etc, etc, etc, Not a problem, no royalties needed. You create the artwork it is yours. Our vendors who sell on our site have agreed to the EULA End User License Agreement.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,822
    edited December 1969

One thing you should remember is that you have a non-exclusive license to use the content; no-one else may copy your artwork, and in the case of a graphic novel the plot, dialogue and names would be absolutely yours, but another artist would be able to use the same elements in their own work as long as they didn't take your character names or plots. Of course any customisation you added to the original content (emblems on clothes for example) would not be fair game.

• edited December 1969

How does this apply to 3D printing? For example: I make a base for a new figure using morphs; export it out and edit in another software package; model a costume and accessories to make a unique character; decimate it and then send it off to the casting company with the end result being the creation of a real-world miniature sculpture for sale.

I know technically part of the data being sent off is still a derivative of the Genesis figure owned by Daz even if the head and hands were the only things from the original mesh. However, the physical 3D print figure is the thing being sold, not parts of the genesis figure.

The data would need to be sent to a 3rd party as I don't believe most independents will have the resources to do their own casting. Does this violate the EULA because you are distributing a form of data?

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Most definitely in the EULA, you need to study it a bit more thoroughly.

I quote a couple of the clauses

you may copy, distribute, and/or sell your animations and renderings derived from the 3-D Model(

User shall not give, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer or dispose of the 3-D Model(s) on a temporary or permanent basis without the prior written consent of DAZ3D. DAZ3D'S 3-D Model(s) and/or contracts are non-transferable and shall only be used by the Licensed User. User may not reverse engineer, de-compile, disassemble, or create derivative works from the 3-D Model(s). These restrictions do not pertain to rendered images or pre-rendered animations.

So you can make renders or animations and distribute or sell them, but you are not allowed to distribute the model itself, in any form.

You are allowed to use the models, you do not own them. Renders of them are yours to do what you wish with.

Only renders and animations allowed. You can get a license from Daz to use their meshes in games, maybe this license will cover your case as well ?

• eternum00eternum00 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thx to everyone who made this clearer for me.