RPG Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ShanarahShanarah Posts: 94
    edited December 1969

Really sorry to hear the HDD is failing Mike. I wish you luck in recovering what you can. Those miniatures are very kewl so I hope you can sell a lot of them. :)

Here's a couple renders of my usual RPG character. He's an Elf Paladin/Wood Elf Warrior I've played in EverQuest and EQ Online Adventures, but I've used him in most RPGs and MMOs. First is a portrait for his EQPlayers page. The second was a test render I did while working on HSS settings for him which I decided to try painting in his hair.

saro_m4_render-012-sm.jpg
    565 x 800 - 73K
    saro_m4_render-006-md.jpg
    566 x 800 - 221K
  • MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

Nice character.

I'm pretty happy with this one as I built the gun from scratch using Mock's The Gun set of props; it's the NE-600 Pulse Laser from RIFTS (LINK).

This is a Galctic Tracer (bounty hunter) from the Phase World setting for RIFTS.

Art (not final) from one of the Paper Miniatures that I'll be doing after I'm done with the fantasy sets.

-Mike

GalacticTracer02FShow.jpg
    469 x 600 - 133K
  • edited December 1969

Latest scene "Noble Rider Tower"
    the tower is from RDNA "Ancient Ruins castle creator"
    DAZ horse and tons of bits n' bobs for the rider :)
    Worked on the rider last year but finally put him into a proper scene

The beauty and pleasure of a ride with a noble steed is not to be missed.
    Nor should one overlook threats along the way...
    noble_rider_tower_smallfile.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 481K
    edited December 1969

I remember that one from before, beautiful scene..

A friend commissioned me to do some character portraits for his RIFTS group's character sheets. The payment was enough to finally get Lyyra's Lycantropos Bodysuit, which will come in handy for my paper minis project, as there's an entire Roman-esque empire of Wolfen in the Palladium Fantasy world.

Anywho, the commission. From left to right: a human Air-Warlock, a Grackle-Tooth Gunslinger, a Dwarf Burster (super-pyrokinetic), and a Simvan Monster Rider. Models are M3, Lycanthropos, Freak3 and M4. I put them all together in this group shot so the players could see the size disparity between their characters, lol.

-Mike

Bartons_GangDAZ.jpg
    600 x 400 - 231K
    edited December 1969

Here's a Wolfen Mercenary; Miniature art for the Tombs of Gersidi, one of Baron Marquest's personal guard. Wolfen average about 10 feet tall.

MarquestWolfenGuard01DAZ.jpg
    600 x 933 - 274K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Opps, forgot this one. This is Jaderail, my AD&D character as done with DS4.5 and Genesis.

Xtream_Jaderail.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Nice one Jaderail

edited December 1969

Here are two Cyber-Knight characters from the Rifts main book and Coalition Wars 04: Cyber-Knights that I like to play.

Shiva.jpg
    500 x 452 - 45K
    Maximus.jpg
    477 x 500 - 79K
  • K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited October 2012

Jaderail said:
    Opps, forgot this one. This is Jaderail, my AD&D character as done with DS4.5 and Genesis.

Somehow Jaderail's character makes me think of Elric, albino prince of the dying kingdom of Melnibone.

RPGs are wonderful things. They really ought to rank among humankind's greatest inventions. :-) They're not like reading a normal book, because your role is now active and not passive -- which entices you all the more to enter the world of the story. Perhaps one day the RPG will be recognized as a legitimate art form!

I also love all those dice created for RPGs. They're like little gems and there's such a wide variety of them. Check out this site for example.

Haven't specially rendered any characters for any games but I suppose I might use these two in some future game I decide to join. They're nothing terribly original, but all the same I hope you fellas will see some merit in this pic.

2friends.png
    960 x 960 - 1M
    Post edited by K T Ong on
    edited December 1969

Here are two Cyber-Knight characters from the Rifts main book and Coalition Wars 04: Cyber-Knights that I like to play.

Nice!

edited December 1969

Thanks, MADMANMIKE. :)

K T ong: THat looks good. Maybe they are mercinaries? ;)

• edited December 1969

Oh gosh, I got into 3D art to make pictures of my characters, using lightwave on the commodore amiga with the video toaster. I still use it for that today. So here are some recent character renders. Quilt who is my Tiefling who has some dwarf blood in him. Then there is Sparrow, my human bard (shown without a shirt in this particular scene...) For that matter, even my Avatar picture here is a closeup of Boojum, my character in the Fantasy Hero game I'm in online!
    Boojum the brown bunny

Sparrow1.png
    600 x 900 - 313K
    Quilt4.png
    600 x 900 - 939K
  • K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

For some reason I want to attach the words 'before' and 'after' to the two pics above. You don't mind, boojumbunn... :-)

Could be. Or they could be just two scouts. I leave it to your imagination. :)

Your second cyber-knight seemed a bit too 'unfeminine' to me, by the way. Then again, what do you expect, she's a cyber-knight!

edited December 1969

K T Ong said:
    For some reason I want to attach the words 'before' and 'after' to the two pics above. You don't mind, boojumbunn... :-)

Could be. Or they could be just two scouts. I leave it to your imagination. :)

Your second cyber-knight seemed a bit too 'unfeminine' to me, by the way. Then again, what do you expect, she's a cyber-knight!

Not to mention she's also wearing armor...and a helmet. If she were to put on a dress and take off the helmet, I think you'd change your mind. ;)

edited December 1969

Nice!

Hey, I think you might appreciate this one... ;)

Decided to try my hand at re-creating Alpha Prime from Century Station, a source book in the table-top RPG called Heroes Unlimited. The villian floating towards her is my own creation. I call her Nemesis.

Enjoy. :)

Cornered.jpg
    689 x 631 - 128K
    edited December 1969

Nice!

Hey, I think you might appreciate this one... ;)

Decided to try my hand at re-creating Alpha Prime from Century Station, a source book in the table-top RPG called Heroes Unlimited. The villian floating towards her is my own creation. I call her Nemesis.

Enjoy. :)

I like it! If you have any of Jepe's SpecialZ, you can probably get the hair and hands dead on to the Zeleznik image.. I usually end up adding his stuff in post-work myself..

I've been toying with running a Palladium Fantasy game with what few 'friends' I have in the near future, and when I cleaned up my office for the first time in over a year, I found my 'Quick-Gen' character sheets for Solder, Longbowman and Psi-Mystic. Since I plan to use Book II: The Old Ones extensively (it has over 50 different Cities, Towns and Forts described and mapped in the Timiro Kingdom), I decided to do some standard images for the Timiro Militiary.. I haven't finished the Psi-Mystic, instead including a full-on Wizard that serves the military, as I'll probably have the time to help my most experienced player make that character before the rest get together.

-Mike

TimiroCharacters.jpg
    600 x 420 - 213K
  • edited December 1969

Being a huge fan of D&D's "Spelljammer" setting I had long wanted to recreate the classic cover from on one of the books in the boxed set ;)

spelljammer_concordance.jpg
    1286 x 1819 - 2M
  • TraceSLTraceSL Posts: 519
    edited December 1969

a few of mine

display_2359284.jpg
    700 x 565 - 128K
  • TraceSLTraceSL Posts: 519
    edited December 1969

couple of more

file_2363513.jpg
    1038 x 762 - 511K
    file_2359909.jpg
    986 x 787 - 439K
    edited December 1969

I've been sitting on this cool US Army outfit for M4 for some time, so I thought I'd try my hand at putting together some contemporary military Paper Miniatures.. It needs work, but think I'll get the rest of the accessories and do a set..

USArmyMiniShow.jpg
    470 x 600 - 121K
  • ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Nice! A little washed out / over lit, but overall not bad.

edited December 1969

Valandar said:
    Nice! A little washed out / over lit, but overall not bad.

Thanks. The lighting is deliberate, as it's designed to be reduced to 1.15 inches for a paper miniature. I do a front and back render and lay them out 27 minis to a page.. same with the three fantasy one's above.

edited December 1969

Threw this together yesterday; it's actually a portion of Old Timiro, based on the layout given in a map in Palladium Fantasy RPG® Book II: The Old Ones. The building on the left is item 69: "Tavern: Cheap beer, ale and women." On the map there was a wide open space in front of it, so I decided it was a good spot for a market.

Took over an hour to render as is, so to add the necessary people will probably take another day or two of work... don't know if I have that in me..

OTBackMarketDAZ.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 247K
    edited December 1969

Good job, Madmanmike, on all your renders.

Yes, I wouldn't even have the patient for an hours worth of a render. That village looks good.

You could always get PwCatch then use that village as a backdrop, create a primitive plane and use it to catch shadows then add people. A lot of work, but it'll probably save on render time. :)

edited December 1969

Good job, Madmanmike, on all your renders.

Yes, I wouldn't even have the patient for an hours worth of a render. That village looks good.

You could always get PwCatch then use that village as a backdrop, create a primitive plane and use it to catch shadows then add people. A lot of work, but it'll probably save on render time. :)

PWCatch? No idea what that is. I use D|S 2.3, the most advanced version that will work on my computer.

I've actually spent most of the time since I did that render using Poser 6 to hack the Medieval Town kit by George279 (used for the smaller buildings in the middle) to make the interior usable.

edited December 1969

Well nuts...PwCatch only works for DS 4 (I think for DS 3 as well, not sure).

Just to give you an idea of what PwCatch can do though, here's a scene I rendered with a throne backdrop. See those shadows under the figures? That's actually a primitive plane I created as the floor. PwCatch creates the illusion of backdrops being part of the full scene.

Talents.jpg
    689 x 631 - 331K
    edited December 1969

Interesting. In my experience if you make something invisible, the program renders as if it's not in the document, so I can render part of an image, leave the camera where it is, make that part invisible and another part visible, render that, etc, until it's done. Then it's just a matter of layering it in Photoshop, which I always do as part of my post-work anyway.. If you turn off all the lights, whatever is in your scene will render as all black on white background; In PS you can just select all white and use that to make a mask for that item so you can process it.

edited December 1969

Awesome. :)

edited December 1969
    ChefIckyDAZ.jpg
    386 x 600 - 226K
    edited December 1969

Mr. Minitour sir, there is a hair in my food!

Minitour: Grrrrr

Did I said hair? I meant I LOVE this food, thank you!

Good one, MadManMike. :)