Secrets of the DAZ Studio 4 Pro UNIVERSE!

DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
edited June 2015 in Daz Studio Discussion

(special thanks to RKane_1 for starting this post in the older DAZ 3D Forums)

My intent with this thread is to link some commonly asked for items regarding Content Creation and Advanced DAZ Studio usage together for easy location. I hope that this thread is stickied as it grows but if you have any suggestions of new links to useful information or tutorials found here or anywhere else on the web, please let me know and I will link those items here!

Thanks!

Rendering

What are Displacement Maps and how can I use them?

Answer

What are Shaders and Shader Mixers?

Answer #1

Answer #2

Answer #3

Is there a good source for Shader Mixer recipes and more knowledge regarding that?

Answer #1

Answer #2

What is IDL? How do I use it in DAZ Studio?

Answer

Clothes Modelling/Management

How do I rig a piece of clothing I have made in another modeller so that it works with Genesis?

Answer

Answer#2

How do I Autofit older clothing/hair items to Genesis but retain the morphs of the original item?

Answer

How do I model clothes for Genesis NOT using the default androgynous figure but a different form of Genesis?

Answer

What are "Ghost Bones"? How do they help me with clothing manipulation?

Answer

From the lovely Pendraia's link:

How do I rig Conforming Clothing and Accessories using the Transfer Tool?

Answers:

Basic Rigging with the Transfer Utility

Convert A Static Clothing Mesh To A Figure For Genesis

Transfer Utility info

Basics: Initial Rigging with the Transfer Utility

Can you give me specific info on modelling and rigging particular item types?

Rigging a skirt for Genesis by SickleYield

Rigging a skirt for Genesis by SickleYield Part 2

Basic Rigging for Clothing video by Bobbie25

Long Dress video by Bobbie25

And though many items in this list are for older version's of DAZ, I think Seacanyon's links from the clothes modeling tutorials? thread are worth perusal:
Kattey's Clothing Creation Workflow
First Steps in Clothing Creation
Clothing Creators Forum (For discussion, tips & commiseration -- be sure to check their tutorials list)
SickleYield's Clothing Creation Workflow
Clothing Creation by Will Dupre
Creating a Legal .cr2
On Rigging Clothing in DS
Thread on Clothing Creation Tips
English Bob's Intro to Conforming Clothing
Wrinkles with Hexagon
Wrinkles - How is this Done?
Morkomon on using Hex & Poser to Create Morphs
How to Save a New Morph to a Dial in DS with Morph Loader
Daybreak Studios on Grouping with Hexagon
Rigging Clothing for Millennium Figures
Will Dupre on using Hex to group new models
Grouping Objects in Poser
Using Daz Rigging Tools to Pirate a Skeleton (like Quick Conform)
Figure Setup Tools Tutorials on YouTube
Chris Schell on Conforming Items Using Daz Figure Setup Tools
RoxanneJ's Daz Figure Setup Tools Tutorial

Morph/Character Creation

How do I transfer morphs from Gen4 figures to Genesis?[/strong

Answer

How do I export an .OBJ file from DAZ while retaining it form after having used Smooth upon it?

Answer

Prop/Accessories Creation/Management

How do I make a Smart Prop in Daz Studio?

Answer

Packaging and Sale

How do I become a DAZ Published artist?

Answer

Answer #2

How do I add an icon to a morph I've created?

Answer

What is "MetaData" and how can I use it?

Answer

How do I create Metadata for my own projects?

Answer

How do I package up Metadata for distribution?

Answer #1

Answer #2

Rigging a New Figure

How do I rig an entirely new model I've created in another application for Genesis in DAZ Studio 4?

Answer

Answer #2

What is 'Weight Mapping'? How do I use it to rig a figure/prop?

Answer #2

Answer #2

Geo-Grafting

How can I add another limb to my model? What is Geo-Grafting?

Answer

Answer #2

Answer #3

Glossary

New AND improved! "For Noobs- A Glossary of sorts"

ERC

Base Figures: History of and Compatibility

The full thread can be seen here: SECRETS of the DAZ STUDIO 4 PRO UNIVERSE!

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

These links appear to be broken :(

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

I let them know that there are broken links in there.

• TatalorioTatalorio Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

Geo-Grafting

Answer

Answer #2

Answer #3

Please, please, please Daz, can you do a Youtube Tutorial on this? I gave up with my tries to get it working.

• visiblemanvisibleman Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

PaulSW said:

Geo-Grafting

Answer

Answer #2

Answer #3

Please, please, please Daz, can you do a Youtube Tutorial on this? I gave up with my tries to get it working.

Yeah, That would be nice.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,343
    edited October 2012

I didn't see this in the list But if it is, sorry.

I proof it with a victoria 3 shoe and it works. I need more experiments, but I have few shapes, then I don't know if it is 100% effective.

Rigging Conforming High Heels for Genesis by niccipb
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=3406520

It only explain how rig new item, but author explain briefly in Sharecg that it is possible to use it to conversions.

My conversions Steps:

1.- Load original V3 and load genesis.

2.- Shape Genesis to V3. Pose V3 as Genesis. Leg, foot an toe very closed. (Save pose from V3 for future use)

3.- Load the original shoe, "Fit to" V3. If there is a pose to V3 foot apply it to V3.

4.- Pose genesis foot as V3 foot, very closed please. Genesis pose have to match with shoe (Save new genesis foot pose for future use)

5.- Export shoe as obj. Reload object shoe, rescale shoe until fit with genesis foot. Export again.

6.- Follow the niccipb's tutorial since page 6.

When I use some shapes I need apply smoothing modifier with 4 smoothing iterations.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

Hello, I have been over Basic Rigging with the Transfer Utility tutor more times that I care to count and the shirt obj I made in carrara (also tried hexagon) also moved ends up between the gen knees. Any thoughts?

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

I'm sure this was a noble effort, but it's now a series of broken links and missing images that will further frustrate potential users.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

If someone would care to make a list of which links are broken, we can attempt to update the post. Thanks

edited December 1969

any example image that was linked prior to the site changing it's domain name is now a broken link.

edited December 1969

you take the postimages/origimage_1_3341101.jpg from the image url and add it to http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/postimages/origimage_1_3341101.jpg

• Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

OK. My Control Panel subscribed threads links all 404 also. I have to go searching through pages of threads to find anything. Seems to be systemic issues going on.

edited December 1969

seen that too, just keep trying and when it decides to start working you can manually remap the images one by one in a new window.
    I didn't know that, apparently it was another secrete.

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

It's nice to get an link to old forum articles. Unfortunetely most of the links or pics inside the old forums are dead and didn't work.

There are so many good ideas, unfortunately the implementation of these ideas is more of a disaster.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

You can view an image by adding the partial path from the HTML in the post (postimages/) to forumarchive.daz3d.com/ and pasting that into the address box of a new window or tab.

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the hint Richard. But that can also only work, when the pictures are not removed.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Most pictures should still be there, once the link is adjusted.

• ken_7dac5ac5a2ken_7dac5ac5a2 Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    If someone would care to make a list of which links are broken, we can attempt to update the post. Thanks

I came across this topic, and it seemed like an excellent resource, until I found (as have others) that many of the links are broken, and it is old.

There doesn't seem to be much point in making a list of broken links. The author can easily tell which links are broken by clicking on them, and it seems that would be more useful, in fact, than having a list. In any event, the author would be the one who would have to fix them.

If it is important enough to be sticky, then it should be important enough to spend the relatively small amount of time it would take to fix it. Is it possible to do something to make this happen.

Thanks for your time.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited July 2013

chohole said:

I came across this topic, and it seemed like an excellent resource, until I found (as have others) that many of the links are broken, and it is old.

There doesn't seem to be much point in making a list of broken links. The author can easily tell which links are broken by clicking on them, and it seems that would be more useful, in fact, than having a list. In any event, the author would be the one who would have to fix them.

If it is important enough to be sticky, then it should be important enough to spend the relatively small amount of time it would take to fix it. Is it possible to do something to make this happen.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Kenneth,

I remember when this thread was set up and the links did all work at the time. I would suggest that it's good practice that if you find a broken link on a thread like this to pm the OP so that they can fix it.

I used to maintain the Shadermixer List can't anymore as it was transferred by someone else to the new site but my point is that if you let the OP know of broken links then they can do something to fix it. Once a thread is set up and has been there for a while broken links can occur and aren't noticed until someone goes to use them.

The logical thing to do if you find a broken link is to let someone who can fix it know. Have you or the others who located broken links pm'ed the OP to let them know about the broken links?

Thanks

Pen

Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

PaulSW said:

Geo-Grafting

Answer

Answer #2

Answer #3

Yeah, That would be nice.Hi, just wanted to let you know that Blondie's advanced rigging tutorial explains how to do this really well.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Hi Kenneth,

I remember when this thread was set up and the links did all work at the time. I would suggest that it's good practice that if you find a broken link on a thread like this to pm the OP so that they can fix it.

Ok. I did that. Thanks for your interest.

-Ken

edited December 1969

Unfortunately If you PMed Blaine then you are unlikely to get a reply. He is no longer with DAZ 3D.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Hi Kenneth,

Ok. I did that. Thanks for your interest.

-KenNo problem...thanks for taking the time to be proactive. You may want to check your pm's though...; )

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Unfortunately If you PMed Blaine then you are unlikely to get a reply. He is no longer with DAZ 3D.

Hi Cho,

I wasn't aware that Blaine had left...who would be responsible for it now? There are some things that need adding to the Shader Mixer List also. So many people have now gone...: (

Would this be something the Community Volunteers are able to do or would it require someone who is part of the moderating team?

Do you or Richard have access?

It really does need to be fixed if it is going to remain a sticky.

Thanks

Pen

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    You may want to check your pm's though...; )

I PM'ed DAZ_bfurner and copied you. Apparently it doesn't tell you that.

I see he is no longer at DAZ. Thanks for following up. Hopefully someone will take it over.

-Ken

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    You may want to check your pm's though...; )

I PM'ed DAZ_bfurner and copied you. Apparently it doesn't tell you that.

I see he is no longer at DAZ. Thanks for following up. Hopefully someone will take it over.

-KenNo problem...I really need to know who is doing the job now so I know who to pm over the Shader Mixer List. I was able to update it myself in the old forum as I was the OP but as it was reposted by someone else here I no longer have access and the list is missing many links in the original post.

edited July 2013

Where was it posted over here Pen.

Edit, OK I found it. Hmm difficult.

Best thing I can say is use the quote facility to copy the stuff into a new thread, and then we can replace the copied over one with one that is live. Reserve some spare posts for yourself, so you have space to maintain it.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    In the DAZ Studio Forum under software. It's a sticky. There are two new tutorials that I did recently that I posted links to and it would probably be good to check if any others have been posted that haven't been added to the OP. If I know it's going to be updated regularly there are probably more threads that could be linked to. I know that there was a good recipe for a png network from someone...not sure if it was posted in the thread but I think it was.

I don't suppose that there is anyway to get back the ability to update the OP myself? I would prefer that but I doubt that it's possible without me starting a new thread.

Thanks for looking at this.

Pen

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Edit, OK I found it. Hmm difficult.

Best thing I can say is use the quote facility to copy the stuff into a new thread, and then we can replace the copied over one with one that is live. Reserve some spare posts for yourself, so you have space to maintain it.

Ok...not sure if you edited as I was posting or I didn't stop to read it properly...lol

So it's okay for me to restart it?

Cool...I'll try and sort it out today sometime. I'm currently working on another project but would like to see it updated on a regular basis.

If you contacted RKane(is he still active) he might want to do the same with his thread.

Thanks Cho! Your a legend...: )

Pen

edited December 1969

No probs. Let us know when it is ready and we will remove the old one and sticky your one.

As I said if you reserve yourself some spare posts, by typing something in them it gives you room to expand at the top of the thread. Is a tip we use for all the lists in the Freezie.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    No probs. Let us know when it is ready and we will remove the old one and sticky your one.

As I said if you reserve yourself some spare posts, by typing something in them it gives you room to expand at the top of the thread. Is a tip we use for all the lists in the Freezie.

Working on it now...; )

Thanks for the tip. I let you know once it's done.

hugs

Pen(who is very excited about being able to update the list again)