A UV mapping problem

Can anyone help me understand what’s going wrong here?

I created a T-shirt like object with a front and a back side, in other words, it has volume. The polygon normals are all facing outwards.
I tried to create a UV map for it by selecting a seam and unfolding. It looked like it created a proper template with front and back sides. I exported the template, took it to Photoshop, added Text at the appropriate locations, and saved the image map. But when I load the image map into the color channel of the object’s shader, the text displays backwards (flipping horizontal in the image map channel does not fix the problem). If I go back into the model room and examine the UV map, the text is shown correctly (not backwards). I don’t get it.

Other than flipping the text backwards in Photoshop, before importing as an image map, I don't know how to fix this.

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The UV is probably mirrored (ie if you select a poly on the right in the UV it'll be on the left in the model). Usually that happens if the normals are backwards *at the time of mapping* (if you flipped the normals on the model, you should remap the UVs)

Otherwise, there's no real precision way to unmirror the UV - you just need to scale it horizontally through zero and out the other side.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Usually that happens if the normals are backwards *at the time of mapping* (if you flipped the normals on the model, you should remap the UVs)

Thank you for that information gem! That was it!

Indeed, I did flip the normals after I mapped it. Suspecting that it might be the problem, but not realizing that I needed to force a remapping for it to take affect.

Thanks for the assist!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198

Cool! Glad you got it sorted out! ;)