Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

JeanneM said:
    Mec4D said:
    Hi Guys I made for myself a little helper for Poser to switch the UV's of genesis without to going into DS or create any extra files
    this way you can use your old Poser material presets on Genesis without converting it to duf and other stuff ..

Load genesis to the scene, apply the UV's you like to have M4, V4, Kids4 , M5, V5, S5 , next add your old poser material preset to the figure and done
    this way you can edit your own materials and save it in Poser without to worry the UV's will not working
    it is not big deal but so handy !! because I am lazy and don;t want to convert my Poser materials to make it work
    I saw a lot of people made Poser version of characters, this will be usable as you can use the Poser shaders and not just the standard DS

it is a free
    http://www.mec4d.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=86

Cath

Thank you very much! :)
    While I was at your store, I bought the Genesis robe. Looks very nice. I suppose I could convert that in DS4.5.1 for use in Poser also? (once I figured out how to convert....%-P )

Love, Jeanne

What a neat little tool, so, I guess that means that I could apply say Eli or Hunk textures to Genesis, am I right!?

CHEERS!

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    All you need the free Buddy2 for M5 and have it installed in the same directory as Daz's genesis data and runtime where you point the DSON to
    just make sure the old files and textures land there , I will upload the companion file tonight so you can get it from the forum or from product page as I will put the link there also
    You can still use it with Genesis if you don;t have M5 , when you load genesis to Poser scene, go to actor set the shape to male, then under the Actor/face/male you will find additional morphs that will fix the eyebrows,beard , nose UV's area so it better render on Genesis

I am going to make a lot of new characters , actually they are in production right now.

P.S if you have the old textures just replace them to the DSON runtime as they are the same as the DS installation .

and that's all you need .. now only M5 and you are ready ..:)

That's good to know, I'll have to see what I can put together later, of course, now you've done that UV switcher I could just apply the materials to Genesis that way.

You're still one of the best artists out there and DSON has effectively given you your full tool set again.

CHEERS!

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Thanks,I will upload tonight all Poser Companion files to my website for all new products , you will find the link or under the product pages or in the forum under UPDATES so please check in tonight ...
    I tested yesterday all files and seems like working just perfect
    Cath

JeanneM said:
    Mec4D said:
    Hi Guys I made for myself a little helper for Poser to switch the UV's of genesis without to going into DS or create any extra files
    this way you can use your old Poser material presets on Genesis without converting it to duf and other stuff ..

Load genesis to the scene, apply the UV's you like to have M4, V4, Kids4 , M5, V5, S5 , next add your old poser material preset to the figure and done
    this way you can edit your own materials and save it in Poser without to worry the UV's will not working
    it is not big deal but so handy !! because I am lazy and don;t want to convert my Poser materials to make it work
    I saw a lot of people made Poser version of characters, this will be usable as you can use the Poser shaders and not just the standard DS

it is a free

Cath

While I was at your store, I bought the Genesis robe. Looks very nice. I suppose I could convert that in DS4.5.1 for use in Poser also? (once I figured out how to convert....%-P )

Love, Jeanne
    edited December 1969

Yes,that is correct, load genesis to the scene dial the morph you like or not , then switch the UVs to M4 and you can load your old Poser Eli materials without any updates straight on, if you wont to use V4 materials, just switchto V4 UVs it will clear the model from everything and you are ready for next it is easy , as I really wanna skip converting everything it is much easy and the best thing you will keep actual Poser shaders what DS can't give you so it is must have for now !

Rogerbee said:
    JeanneM said:
    Mec4D said:

it is a free

Cath

Love, Jeanne

What a neat little tool, so, I guess that means that I could apply say Eli or Hunk textures to Genesis, am I right!?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

you have no idea how happy I am about after using Poser 14 years and see things coming ans going now finally we are a one family again as it was in the beginning they should do it a long time ago ..I switched to DS for a while as my customers and clients switched mostly also as they was interested in models and not just a software but now it is total new era and more great stuff will come from all of us as people get more creative again !

Rogerbee said:
    Mec4D said:
    All you need the free Buddy2 for M5 and have it installed in the same directory as Daz's genesis data and runtime where you point the DSON to
    just make sure the old files and textures land there , I will upload the companion file tonight so you can get it from the forum or from product page as I will put the link there also
    You can still use it with Genesis if you don;t have M5 , when you load genesis to Poser scene, go to actor set the shape to male, then under the Actor/face/male you will find additional morphs that will fix the eyebrows,beard , nose UV's area so it better render on Genesis

I am going to make a lot of new characters , actually they are in production right now.

P.S if you have the old textures just replace them to the DSON runtime as they are the same as the DS installation .

and that's all you need .. now only M5 and you are ready ..:)

That's good to know, I'll have to see what I can put together later, of course, now you've done that UV switcher I could just apply the materials to Genesis that way.

You're still one of the best artists out there and DSON has effectively given you your full tool set again.

CHEERS!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Paris_K said:
    ok so gave p for a little bit and coming back now trying to get clothes eing into is when i try to save the file as a support asset the content type only says none, i tried to co to cb database and reimport metadata like i saw posted earlier, but it doesnt change nething still only has none under conetnt type... im lost, please help ...... running newest version of dazstudio 4.5

Make sure the DAZ Content Management Service is running - you don't say which operating system you are using, but in Windows 7 and Vista you can do that by right-clicking on the Windows Taskbar, selecting Start Task Manager from the menu that appears, and in Task Manager going to the Services tab.

edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    not at this moment , what you can do is use texture converter and convert it to v4 and use with genesis

Is there any way to use Gen 3 maps on Genesis? I have some fantastic Thorne/Sarsa/Handspan textures I'd love to use on Genesis.

Thanks, Cath! Yeah, I have TC2 & the corresponding licenses for Gen 3 figures. I thought maybe DAZ had created a UV-mapped version of Genesis with Gen 3 maps. Not a problem. I've converted a bunch already to Gen 4, so I should get around to doing the rest that I like.

Thanks for the script, too. So helpful! :) Hugs to you!

The problem is that the body iss plit into different material zones for Gen 3 and Gen 4 textures - as a result there are areas on the Gen 4 mapping that need areas from two different Gen 3 maps, so simply changing the UVs won't work.

edited December 1969

Nightsong said:
    Ok, random question #45219: How would one go about setting up a hotkey for Save As -> Support Asset -> Figure Prop Asset in DS4.5 ? :D

Window>Workspace>Customise, on the left find the Save filters and then the filter you want under that, right-click on it and from the menu choose Change keyboard shortcut, press the key combination you want to use.

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,036
    edited December 1969

Ok. I get all the files downloaded and installed. Go to Poser 9 and load Genesis. Attempt to dial up some of the morphs and nothing happens. What did I do wrong?

David

I never saw where anyone answered my question. I've been away a couple of days and tried to scroll thru the pages to see if there was a response and I found none. Can someone one please help. I have DAZ Studio Pro and Poser 9 SR3.

David

I'm still waiting on an answer to my question....

David

edited October 2012

you should at last explain where you installed your files ( paths ) and what system you use
    it is hard to answer , if nothing works as it should the installation was wrong .

Ok. I get all the files downloaded and installed. Go to Poser 9 and load Genesis. Attempt to dial up some of the morphs and nothing happens. What did I do wrong?

David

I never saw where anyone answered my question. I've been away a couple of days and tried to scroll thru the pages to see if there was a response and I found none. Can someone one please help. I have DAZ Studio Pro and Poser 9 SR3.

David

I'm still waiting on an answer to my question....

David

Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited December 1969

And I pretty much did that in my last posting. Poser 9 SR3, DAZ Studio 4 Pro. Everything installed to default settings! Windows 7 64-bit system. Is it necessary to have DAZ Studio Pro 4.5 to get this to work.

I can get Genesis loaded fine into poser but when I go to dial like the Basic Male or the Basic Female, nothing happens. And none of the gene pool shapes show up that I had installed into Studio (V4, M4, M5, V5). I did manage to get the basic child morph to work and that's pretty much it.

And i had originally posted this question on Friday afternoon. Not once did anyone seek further information in order to answer my question until this morning after I started being a pest.

David

edited October 2012

I saw your post before but I could not help , here is how I installed my files
    I have My Library on separate HD that the program

I installed the genesisessentialstarterkit 1.6
    under my main DS 4.5 My Library where is also my Runtime I use in DS and Poser
    D:\Users\My Documents\Daz3D\Studio\My Library
    there I installed also the Poser companion file with the genesis core essentialkit for Poser

the paths for DS4.5 and Poser2012 are on C;\

if you shapes for M5, M4, V4. V5 is not loading it mean the data is not in the same structure
    you load genesis as the DSON genesis is installed in the Runtime folder but it need direct access to all data
    that would be great if your Runtime folder is in My Library where you have your all Daz stuff

you need also point the writable Runtime path in the script in Poser but I guess you did this already as you loaded genesis .

that is how I have and I am ruining on the same system

make sure you downloaded the last updated DS with genesisessential kit and I don't see there any other reason why it should not work

P.S even if you don;t have the last DS 4.5 installed it should works also , as long the Runtime folder is in the same My Library as the data and the rest of the genesis stuff .as the cr2 in Poser will call genesis and all the morphs from the data folder where they are
    if your Runtime is outside the My Library the morphs will be not loaded .
    My Library/data
    My Library\Runtime

you can call the My Library as you want ,for example D:\DSON FILES \ but the runtime and data and all preset files need to be together there with the essential starter kit for Poser and make sure the folders are writable and the script have access to that

And I pretty much did that in my last posting. Poser 9 SR3, DAZ Studio 4 Pro. Everything installed to default settings! Windows 7 64-bit system. Is it necessary to have DAZ Studio Pro 4.5 to get this to work.

I can get Genesis loaded fine into poser but when I go to dial like the Basic Male or the Basic Female, nothing happens. And none of the gene pool shapes show up that I had installed into Studio (V4, M4, M5, V5). I did manage to get the basic child morph to work and that's pretty much it.

And i had originally posted this question on Friday afternoon. Not once did anyone seek further information in order to answer my question until this morning after I started being a pest.

David

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited October 2012

And we had 55 pages in four days or so ... quite a number of messages.

Maybe reading this thread helps?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9476/

Edited to add: no, you don't have to install Dazstudio at all.

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

Ok. I think I understand but I think you missed one key point. I have DAZ Studio 4 Pro, not 4.5. Does that make a difference? My runtime for DS and my runtime for Poser are in 2 different locations. My DS runtime is setup as typical Studio "My library' structure. i'll have to look but I think the "My lIbrary" folder is under the "users" folder on the C: drive and not in the same directory as the program files for DAZ Studio. I didnt set it up that way, that was how Studio installed things. So again I ask, do I need to have 4.5 in order for things to work correctly? And if that's the case the product documentation needs to state that somewhere so idiots like me can see it.

David

edited December 1969

Mec, re-read your post and I'm still confused...

David

edited October 2012

you don;t need to even install DS at all
    all you need is the Poser genesis starter kit installed in the same path structure as your DS files you purchased
    in your case would be My Library under C:/Users/My Documents/Daz 3D/studio/My Library
    where you installed all your DS products like M5 , V5

in Poser you need to point the script to the Runtime in My Library and you are ready to go
    forget about the Poser runtime it have nothing to do with .. it need to be the runtime under My Library

I saw a lot of mistakes by people that still have installed the old DS structures from previews versions and mixing the paths as there are 2 Runtimes and in place of going into Daz 3D\ Studio\My Library \Runtime they go into Daz 3D/Studio4/My Library/Runtime << NO GOOD</p>

DS is installed under Program Files but this have nothing to do with that ..

Ok. I think I understand but I think you missed one key point. I have DAZ Studio 4 Pro, not 4.5. Does that make a difference? My runtime for DS and my runtime for Poser are in 2 different locations. My DS runtime is setup as typical Studio "My library' structure. i'll have to look but I think the "My lIbrary" folder is under the "users" folder on the C: drive and not in the same directory as the program files for DAZ Studio. I didnt set it up that way, that was how Studio installed things. So again I ask, do I need to have 4.5 in order for things to work correctly? And if that's the case the product documentation needs to state that somewhere so idiots like me can see it.

David

Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited October 2012

No, you don't need DS4.5 (only if you are buying content that is 4.5 only, like Mavka for Genesis).

Where do you have your Poser runtime?
    You told us about your My library, but not your Poser runtime ...

Edited to add: for some people it helped just to reinstall the Poser SR3 (don't ask why, it just worked).

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

So which file of the 3 we had to download is the one that should install to the "My library" folder?

DSON Importer for Poser - Genesis Starter Essentials - Poser Companion –PC
    DSON Importer for Poser - Genesis Starter Essentials - DSON Core - PC
    DSON Importer for Poser - DSON Importer for Poser - Win32

My Poser runtime is on a separate hard drive: I:\Program Files\e frontier\Poser 7\Runtime

I pointed my Poser 9 SR3 to that runtime because I didnt want to have to move everything to the P9 Runtime.

David

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,878
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    No, you don't need DS4.5 (only if you are buying content that is 4.5 only, like Mavka for Genesis).

Form the second paragraph in the first post of this thread.

DAZ Introduces the DAZ Scene Object Notation (DSON) Importer for Poser. DSON is a new file format (introduced in DAZ Studio 4.5) developed by DAZ 3D that enables the transport of scene and figure information between applications.

Seems to imply you need 4.5 to use DSON.

edited October 2012

You've got three files

14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.6_dpc.exe
    14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx.exe
    DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Win32.exe

"DSON Importer for Poser - DSON Importer for Poser - Win32" has to be installed to the place where the Poser software is installed.

The Genesis Starter Essentials have BOTH to be installed in a runtime outside of you Windows C:\programs .... folder.
    You can use your existing DS4 My library folder for both.

Then you have to add this runtime to the Poser library by clicking on the + at the bottom of the library.
    If you made two runtimes (for Poser and for DS) add both to your library.

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

Haruchai said:
    Kerya said:

DAZ Introduces the DAZ Scene Object Notation (DSON) Importer for Poser. DSON is a new file format (introduced in DAZ Studio 4.5) developed by DAZ 3D that enables the transport of scene and figure information between applications.

To convert content that isn't yet available in 4.5 format with companion files - but that isn't the case here.

edited December 1969

Haruchai said:
    Kerya said:

No, you only need it to CREATE DSON files.
    If you are happy with waiting for DAZ to create them you can (for example if you are a "I love Poser - I hate DazStudio" user) live without Dazstudio.

edited December 1969

all he need is Runtime from My Library structure where he have all the morphs for genesis

and not Poser Runtime as this have nothing to do with ( the My Library need to be added to Poser as DS Runtime after to have access to all the companion files) , DSON was created to work without DS or the need for installation,
    all products need to be in DUF format and created with DS4.5 that what DAZ is doing right now and all PA's updating all products to DS4.5 and DUF other way it will never works in Poser as the companion files need to be generated and for that you need 4.5 DUF files

the re install of Poser SR3 may work , Daz mentioned also that the preferences in Poser need to be kept intake while installation and not reset , other way he need to install DSON again to make it work

Kerya said:

Where do you have your Poser runtime?
    You told us about your My library, but not your Poser runtime ...

Edited to add: for some people it helped just to reinstall the Poser SR3 (don't ask why, it just worked).

edited October 2012

go into C:/Users/My Documents/Daz3D/Studio /My Library / no Runtime in his case as the files will generate Runtime there if it is not there already, if you install into Runtime you will get double Runtime folder and the data he already installed will never load into poser beside the genesis core

Kerya said:
    You've got three files

DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Win32.exe

"DSON Importer for Poser - DSON Importer for Poser - Win32" has to be installed to the place where the Poser software is installed.

The Genesis Starter Essentials have BOTH to be installed in a runtime outside of you Windows C:\programs .... folder.
    You can use your existing DS4 My library folder for both.

Then you have to add this runtime to the Poser library by clicking on the + at the bottom of the library.
    If you made two runtimes (for Poser and for DS) add both to your library.

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,878
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

No, you only need it to CREATE DSON files.
    If you are happy with waiting for DAZ to create them you can (for example if you are a "I love Poser - I hate DazStudio" user) live without Dazstudio.

Thanks Richard & Kerya.

I use both so thanks for the information. I did not pick that bit up before, valuable info.

edited December 1969

Haruchai said:

Thanks Richard & Kerya.

I use both so thanks for the information. I did not pick that bit up before, valuable info.

I am using both too (see my signature) - that's why I am so happy that the chasm is bridged. :)

edited December 1969

Ok. I'll have to try this later today and see if that solves the problem. I'll let you know if I hit any more bumps in the road.

David

• Mary WilliamsMary Williams Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Nightsong said:
    Ok, random question #45219: How would one go about setting up a hotkey for Save As -> Support Asset -> Figure Prop Asset in DS4.5 ? :D

Window>Workspace>Customise, on the left find the Save filters and then the filter you want under that, right-click on it and from the menu choose Change keyboard shortcut, press the key combination you want to use.

Richard, you are a gem, thank you!!!

Changing over the pieces of Winter Kingdom, one at a time, left me wishing for a quicker way than navigating down through a couple of tiers of menu to convert them. :D But they load perfectly, along with my snowy-terrain shader I made ages ago! Yay!

Now I just need to convert the materials over... eh... maybe next month. LOL!

• edited December 1969

Thanx to everyone for all your help! unfrtunately now that i got the content manager problem solved having yet again another conflict, i get my clothing exported as poser content, when i try to load in Poser 2012 it goes thru loading process but shows up invisable in Poser? Not getting this, lol, help is very much appriciated, i'm sure its something simple that im just over looking, I'm very sorry for bothering everyone with my problems. the cr2 loads and it says the clothing is there ( the name is present) just cant see it newhere

• edited December 1969

as someone still stuck on the library freeze problem for poser 9 with dson , any suggestion , Fies ???

This discussion has been closed.