Overlapping UV map

KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi, I have my shirt made and all the seams in place and unwrapped however the sleeves are on top of the shirt. Does anyone know of a tutor for overlapping uv maps?

Thanks

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Kimberly :)

do you mean the UV islands on the grid layout ?,..
    if so,. those can be selected and moved, scaled, rotated individually.

quick rough pic..

UV_islands.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 263K
  • KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

Are there any special controls and buttons to click to get them to moved, scaled, rotated which the exception of the buttons on the left hand side of the screen. I've been reading article and watching videos all morning and I simple can't get them to move. I can pick any node(s) or line(s) but nothing will move. If I open this shirt as a 3d obj to adode cs 5 and make a uv layout, I get the sleeves on one page and chest on another page which is workable but I was trying to do a UV painting tutor and need to get these apart first.

Thanks

edited December 1969

HI ,.

You'd just use the standard tools on the left hand side toolbar , the arrow, rotate scale etc..

I'm not sure what's happening if you can't select and move anything with the default move tool.
    as long as your in UV mapping mode and can see the split screen with the UV Grid, you should be able to double click on any part of a mesh "island" to select that,. then click and drag on an edge or vertex to move it,.

you can also click to select a single vertex or edge an drag it to move that point or edge, for example if you were fitting a model to an area of an image.

you can also hold Ctrl or Alt to restrict or constrain the scale or movement of the tools

As for CS5 , you're ahead of me,.. :) I'm still on CS4, but it also has the ability to open objects and create uv's (but it's slow as treacle for me, so I don;t use it ) maybe CS5 is better.

but ..
    Once you've UV mapped your model in Carrara,. you can either click on the "display" tab in the modelling room, and click the "Export" button to export the Wire-frame (black and white) texture map of the mesh UV Grid ( to make a UV Template) ..see pic.
    then open that in photoshop and use it as a guide to laying out your textures,.

Or,.

You could Paint directly onto the model in Carrara, using Images, textures, or colours, using a range of shape brushes.
    You can work in a PSD file, ,.. then open that in photoshop if you wanted to add other details or change anything

UV_export.jpg
    280 x 623 - 44K
    edited October 2012

This is a shirt I original created in hexagon and decided to give Carrara a 30 day trial. You said: “Paint directly onto the model in Carrara.” I have planned to try that next. I printed the 800+ pages of the carrara manual last night and several tutors including a carrara uv map tutor which was what I took on today. I have some many texture pre set up in adobe cs that I like to get uv maps set up. Anyways, I have no idea why it is happen but I think I found something wrong with the uv map. After zooming in very close I noticed when I tried to get a hold of the sleeve to move it that red on the chest is still highlighting. So I have to go back and figure that out on Monday. Thanks

Clipboard0112.jpg
    600 x 324 - 84K
    Post edited by KimberSue on
    edited December 1969

if you select an edge which connect to another island, both are highlighted so you can see how / where they connect.

The red area's on the other mesh islands indicate the connecting edges of the island you've got selected,.
    so they're just highlighted (but darker) because of the selection you've got.

you should be able ignore those and move the selected island anywhere on the UV Grid that suits how you want to texture it.,

:)

edited October 2012

Update: No clue why but when I double click an area then click inv (invert) it lets me move stuff. I can live with one extra click of the mouse.

Could this problem be due to me using a trial version? I can't even get the right click buttons (pictured below) to work except for zoom. I also tried to unclick the show all and only show sleeves and it still would not allow me to move anything.

Clipboard02-669.png
    600 x 283 - 63K
    Post edited by KimberSue on
    edited December 1969

Hi Kimberly :)

I have to say that I'm at a loss as to why you're unable to move that selected island,
    I've tried several different variations of model, shading domains, and unfolding, but can't get into a situation where I can't select and move the wire-frame on the UV grid.

It's also not an issue I've encountered before, ..so I'm kind of stumped.

can you try creating another object, then trying to split and move the sections.

if you insert a vertex object, then in the vertex modeller, add a Cube from the top menu,. then UV map it with Box mapping. the go to the operations tab , click on one of the preset layouts at the bottom and click apply to split the box into that layout.
    you should then be able to double click on any part to select it, and click drag to move it.

It's possible that it's a limitation in the beta, but as far as I know, the demo should run as full-pro for 30 days, and if you bought the full program, then the demo could be unlocked by using the purchased serial number.

edited December 1969

Just a thought....

Is "Snap to Grid" on in the vertex modeller ?

if it's ON, it may seem as if you can't move points or edges in the UV grid.