Speaking about DSON and Runtimes

Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Why do I have two Runtime folders in PoserPro 2012? Don't use Poser much but now with DSON, it's peaking my curiosity.

I have one Poser Runtime where the DSON Importer files went (I followed the default settings for the installers):

C:\Program Files|Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\

and one where all my Poser content goes:

C:\Users\Public\Poser Pro 2012 Content\

In the latter location, I have my regular Runtime for content and Download for my downloaded Poser content.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

You should have used the C:\Users\Public\Poser Pro 2012 Content\ location for the DSON content too, or another location entirely. If you are using Windows 7 or Vista the Program Files location is likely to cause problems.

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Why do I have two Runtime folders in PoserPro 2012? Don't use Poser much but now with DSON, it's peaking my curiosity.

I have one Poser Runtime where the DSON Importer files went (I followed the default settings for the installers):

In the latter location, I have my regular Runtime for content and Download for my downloaded Poser content.

The runtime in Program Files is mainly uses for the python scripts (mostly for compatibility for legacy scripts)
    Since Windows 7/Vista do not allow data (= content in runtime) to be written to Program Files, the runtime has been relocated to users/Public.
    That is the main reason that there are 2 default runtimes

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

You should have used the C:\Users\Public\Poser Pro 2012 Content\ location for the DSON content too, or another location entirely. If you are using Windows 7 or Vista the Program Files location is likely to cause problems.

I probably didn't clarify quite correctly - only the Python files went into the C:\Program Files|Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\ location. I installed the Genesis Starter Essentials files to my My Library location. I know you should never install content into a Program File location.

I've had these two Runtime folders for Poser way before the DSON files came into existence and have always wondered why Poser, by default, created two Runtime folders. When I add Poser content, I always use the C:\Users\Public\Poser Pro 2012 Content\ location.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

WimvdB said:
    Mari-Anne said:

The runtime in Program Files is mainly uses for the python scripts (mostly for compatibility for legacy scripts)
    Since Windows 7/Vista do not allow data (= content in runtime) to be written to Program Files, the runtime has been relocated to users/Public.
    That is the main reason that there are 2 default runtimes

OK - that answers my question. Thank you!