Fur To Mill Cat

MerriesMerries Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I was wondering where do I install the fur for the Mal Cat and how to apply it? Is there a tut on it? Im using the new Daz Pro.

Comments

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,196
    edited December 1969

I think it says in the DAZ store that the Mil cat fur is a *Carrara* product, not DAZ Studio?

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The fur is for Carrara. DAZ studio doesn't support dynamic fur/hair (yet).

• MerriesMerries Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ah ok I missed that thanks!

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Merries said:
    I was wondering where do I install the fur for the Mal Cat and how to apply it? Is there a tut on it? Im using the new Daz Pro.

Here is a thread that will help you get some really nice fur on the Daz MilCat using Daz Studio:

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2988265&highlight=fur#2988265

About midway down the first page, I ask a question about fur for kitties, dogs and puppies. You'll need to use the link to get to Pendraia's web page and download her presets and a displacement map. She has a really nice PDF tutorial, explaining how to use the stuff.

edited December 1969

Roman_K2 said:
    I think it says in the DAZ store that the Mil cat fur is a *Carrara* product, not DAZ Studio?

Roman - I sent you a PM in response to the one you sent me. However, it doesn't show up in my "Sent" box. Did you receive one from me?

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,196
    edited December 1969

Got it, thanks. Maybe I don't exactly "get" the fur concept though.

There are a few "Real Fur" entries in the DAZ store, eg. Real Fur for the Millenium Cat, for the Dog, and for the Big Cats and so on... do I need to know how those products relate to something like Holly's "Animalistic" or Silverkey's giraffe say?

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/animalistic

Sometimes my itty bitty test renders come out like the figure is scoured plaster, rough like, and at other times they are like shiny plastic and I'm using the same figure! Check out model's flanks, in these samples I made with the LoRez dog.

Also, I don't understand where DAZ Studio and Carrara diverge and/or intersect. Do you load DAZ or Poser models into Carrara and then pose and render them like you do with DS? And Carrara's relative strengths are...??? As opposed to the DAZ Studio method I mean.

textures-on-flank-of-model.jpg
    500 x 339 - 26K
    edited October 2012

As I am not at all familiar with Carrara, I'm afraid I can't be much help to you. Perhaps people like Pendraia or the other Fur Experts can lend their expertise.

Edited to add: I do know that in order to use the Real Fur for Millenium Cat, etc. you do need Carrara. However, did you know that you can change the properties of skin in the Surface tab of Daz Studio? You need to select the applicable body part(s) in the Scene as well as the Surface tabs and then fiddle with the sliders. Also, in the Surface tab, you can change the Lighting Model, which by default is set to plastic. Change it to skin and see what kind of results you get.

Post edited by Mari-Anne on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited October 2012

if you are using Carrara, try Hollywetcircuit's free Ali fur for the Millenium cat and look at her tutorial on doing fur
    http://www.3d.wetcircuit.com/

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on