Does each Genesis Starter Essential update require re-categorization?

Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Am I missing something or is it really necessary to re-categorize your content each time you update the Genesis Starter Essential file? I just spent over an hour methodically going through all the re-installed content as I had lots of yellow triangles with exclamation marks in my Content Library after I installed the new 1.6 .trx file. I know this happened when I updated to 4.5.0.114 too so this was the 2nd time around. I'm sure there will be more updates to come, and I hate to have to go through this every time.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You shouldn't have needed to recategorize going from 1.3 to 1.6 -- as long as the paths and file names are the same the CMS shouldn't be giving yellow triangles.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Am I missing something or is it really necessary to re-categorize your content each time you update the Genesis Starter Essential file? I just spent over an hour methodically going through all the re-installed content as I had lots of yellow triangles with exclamation marks in my Content Library after I installed the new 1.6 .trx file. I know this happened when I updated to 4.5.0.114 too so this was the 2nd time around. I'm sure there will be more updates to come, and I hate to have to go through this every time.

Also, if you export your data before a new install you should be able to reimport it in....

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

You shouldn't have needed to recategorize going from 1.3 to 1.6 -- as long as the paths and file names are the same the CMS shouldn't be giving yellow triangles.

Hmmm....I didn't change a thing. Uninstalled the CMS first and then installed the update.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Mari-Anne said:

Also, if you export your data before a new install you should be able to reimport it in....

In the middle of the night, it dawned on me that I didn't export the data first and wondered if that might be it. I'll try to remember that for the next time. Thanks, Pendraia!

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Pendraia said:
    Mari-Anne said:

In the middle of the night, it dawned on me that I didn't export the data first and wondered if that might be it. I'll try to remember that for the next time. Thanks, Pendraia!No problems...I did an install recently where I had the same thing happen and while looking for an answer discovered I should have been exporting the data so i wouldnt lose it. I now try and regularly save my categories about once a week just to keep it updated.

edited December 1969

When you say you try to save your categories once every week, exactly which file(s) do you save? I know how to save the Content file in the old Daz Studio 3, but other than the entire Content Management Service file folder in Daz 4.5, is there some other file I need to save to keep the Categories in tact?

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    When you say you try to save your categories once every week, exactly which file(s) do you save? I know how to save the Content file in the old Daz Studio 3, but other than the entire Content Management Service file folder in Daz 4.5, is there some other file I need to save to keep the Categories in tact?

In DS 4.5 there is an option in the Content Library options menu, "Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data". That creates one or more files named UserData_1.dsx, etc. in Runtime:Support. These are plain text files just like the way metadata is supplied with products. You can re-import those files to restore your categories if your database gets corrupted. You don't need to stop the CMS while copying these files to a backup location. If you have a lot of content in categories, like I do, it can take a very long time to export/import these, so don't panic if nothing seems to be happening for a while -- mine takes about half an hour, and I think Adamr001 said his takes several hours to do.

edited December 1969

Very interesting, Mike. I appreciate the explanation. I found a UserData_1.dsx file, dated September 25, which must be from the time you gave me pointers on upgrading to 4.5 without losing my Categories.

Just for fun, after opening the file in Wordpad, I was going to open the file in MS Works Spreadsheet to see how many rows there were. Must be well over 16,000 because there were too many rows for MS Works.

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:

In DS 4.5 there is an option in the Content Library options menu, "Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data". That creates one or more files named UserData_1.dsx, etc. in Runtime:Support. These are plain text files just like the way metadata is supplied with products. You can re-import those files to restore your categories if your database gets corrupted. You don't need to stop the CMS while copying these files to a backup location. If you have a lot of content in categories, like I do, it can take a very long time to export/import these, so don't panic if nothing seems to be happening for a while -- mine takes about half an hour, and I think Adamr001 said his takes several hours to do.Thanks Mike, that was what I meant. Mine takes a while but I like to update it as I buy new products all the time. So I try and do it regularly. Generally after I've finished categorising new stuff. I tend to do this on the weekend mainly which is why I said I do it once a week.

edited December 1969

I am still having to re-categorize the new .DUF files I am installing so I must be doing something wrong.

For example, before installing the Poser Companion & DSON Core files for V5, in my Categories > People > V5, this file points to the .DSF file when I right-click and select "Browse to file location."

After the installation, this file location in my Categories now has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark.

In my Categories > Default > Figures > People > Female > Real World, there is a new V5 file which points to the same location as the .DSF file - only now it's named (as expected) .DUF

So... in order to get rid of the yellow triangle and exclamation mark in my Categories > People > V5 location, I have to re-categorize V5 from the Categories > Default location to Categories > People > V5.

I exported my user data before I installed the new files, and when I selected to reimport the Meta Data, the exclamation mark & yellow triangle are still there because the icon still refers to a .DSF file whereas it no longer exists since it has been replaced by a .DUF file.

I hope this makes sense - it sounds rather convoluted.

• edited December 1969

What is this Genesis Starter Essentials? I've never heard of it or seen it in the store

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

j87brown said:
    What is this Genesis Starter Essentials? I've never heard of it or seen it in the store

It comes with the download of DS 4.5. It is also apparently in the new DSON download. It contains all the essential files for genesis.
  • edited December 1969

chohole said:
    j87brown said:

It comes with the download of DS 4.5. It is also apparently in the new DSON download. It contains all the essential files for genesis.
    ah. ok
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    I am still having to re-categorize the new .DUF files I am installing so I must be doing something wrong.

For example, before installing the Poser Companion & DSON Core files for V5, in my Categories > People > V5, this file points to the .DSF file when I right-click and select "Browse to file location."

After the installation, this file location in my Categories now has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark.

In my Categories > Default > Figures > People > Female > Real World, there is a new V5 file which points to the same location as the .DSF file - only now it's named (as expected) .DUF

So... in order to get rid of the yellow triangle and exclamation mark in my Categories > People > V5 location, I have to re-categorize V5 from the Categories > Default location to Categories > People > V5.

I exported my user data before I installed the new files, and when I selected to reimport the Meta Data, the exclamation mark & yellow triangle are still there because the icon still refers to a .DSF file whereas it no longer exists since it has been replaced by a .DUF file.

I hope this makes sense - it sounds rather convoluted.

You do need to recategorize if the file name changes, so if you had categorized the .dsf file and it's now .duf, you'll have an orphan reference to the .dsf.

edited December 1969

OK - that makes sense. And reading back up top, that's what you said in your first post. That as long as the file name doesn't change, you shouldn't have to re-categorize. Now that statement makes sense too.

But for all those who use their own Categories and who have tons and tons of content, I wonder if they are going through the same painstaking procedures as well?!?! What about you, Mike? Or are you simply using the "Default" categories?

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    OK - that makes sense. And reading back up top, that's what you said in your first post. That as long as the file name doesn't change, you shouldn't have to re-categorize. Now that statement makes sense too.

But for all those who use their own Categories and who have tons and tons of content, I wonder if they are going through the same painstaking procedures as well?!?! What about you, Mike? Or are you simply using the "Default" categories?

No, I use my own categories. I've been installing updated items in small batches and recategorizing as I go. I don't import the metadata immediately, first I search for content so it ends up in Unassigned, categorize it in my own categories, and then import the metadata.

edited December 1969

Yes, I came to the conclusion only to install at the most three items at a time. OK - I think I'm good for now. As always, thanks so much for taking the time to help me!