Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

sedor said:
    Bejaymac said:
    Just out of curiosity, but can Poser users now save in the DSON file format with this or is it just an importer ?

This tool allows you to use Genesis (and Genesis-Content) inside Poser, you can't save with it in the DSON file format.
    In that case this is yet another no brainer by DAZ, I've just seen a post over at Rendo where someone done with Genesis what they normally do with other figures, ie load the figure, dial up a morph, apply a texture, load clothing and hair, and save it back to the figure library, 400 MB of their disk space vanished doing that, it wont take long to fill a 1TB drive doing that.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

That's good news on the Legacy files. :)

So...once I've loaded the content, I noticed that I have a bunch of stuff in a Poser runtime and other DS folders outside of that. Poser only looks at that Runtime.

Can I move these Genesis files around in the Poser runtime without breaking anything? In a nutshell, the folders are poorly organized/named and need to be adjusted. I do this all the time with Poser content (excluding geometries, pmds, textures, etc.) but I'm not sure if I can rename a folder of Genesis content without breaking everything.

Help!

Anybody know the answer to this? Perhaps an admin? ;-)

The Data folder must not be moved - it has the geometry and morphs, if it can't be found the content won't load. I'm not sure which, if any, of the other non-Runtime folders are needed - you could always try moving them to a safe place, then loading the content.

I also want to know about this. I do not use the typical Poser runtime structure. For example, for James for M5, for my use, the Poser Companion files tjhat are supposed to go under materials and pose would go under

Runtime:Libraries:Characters:!People:Genesis:M5 James (I'd have the morphs and mats in the same folder or in a folder I create below that for them).

In DS, I am using the smart content for any DS4 stuff that comes with it, so I leave those where they are originally, but that's not my process in Poser. Since I have to actually FIND each file in my Poser Runtime, I want it to be somewhere that actually makes sense to me.

The concern is that in the Poser companion Support files, the .dsx file specifically points to the Runtime structure that is in the poser Companion files. But I'm not sure what this file actually does in Poser.

I haven't yet installed the DSON converter so haven't tried this all yet...just my thoughts right now

The Poser support files that are installed into folders in the normal Poser runtime/libray/character etc folders, like the files for launching Genesis in Poser, can be moved around within the runtime just like any Poser files within the runtime except that (i) you must keep the sets together, so the Genesis.cr2 Genesis.duf Genesis.png and Genesis.py must be kept together, and (ii) they must stay in the correct Poser library folder for the Poser file filetype in the set. So you could move that lot out of runtime:libraries:Character:DAZ People and into Character:!People:Genesis or somesuch.

the data folder alongside the runtime needs to stay there, and most of the files inside need to stay where they are, like the .obj files in the Poser geometry folder. I would realy leave the data folder alone unless/until you have a very good understanding of the way DSON support asset files work.

If you don't have DS and no wish to use it, then I'm pretty sure you can delete all the People etc folders that were installed by the Genesis installers in the same folder as the runtime and data folder. Those are simply the content library folders for DS users that would show up in and be clicked on by users in the DS library. e.g. In that people/genisis folder is the genesis.duf file that a DS user would be clicking on in DS to load Genesis. You don't need those, as the files in the runtime;libraries:character etc folders fill those functions for Poser users. So you could delete them, but be careful in case some Poser product put a folder with the same name there.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    sedor said:
    Bejaymac said:
    Just out of curiosity, but can Poser users now save in the DSON file format with this or is it just an importer ?

This tool allows you to use Genesis (and Genesis-Content) inside Poser, you can't save with it in the DSON file format.

In that case this is yet another no brainer by DAZ, I've just seen a post over at Rendo where someone done with Genesis what they normally do with other figures, ie load the figure, dial up a morph, apply a texture, load clothing and hair, and save it back to the figure library, 400 MB of their disk space vanished doing that, it wont take long to fill a 1TB drive doing that.

I don't think it's quite that severe. I just saved a pz2 scene with 2 M5s (subdivided) a back drop and two underwear and that file is 52mb. The render I rendered in Poser with one M5 and bluebird3d's "A bright loft" only took 33. Poser doesn't support DSON natively so it can't save the scene in that format, so you can't drop that in DAZ's lap. ;)

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    sedor said:
    Bejaymac said:

They made a simple error.

To save, turn subdivision off before saving, so you are saving a figure of under 20000 polys. They saved the figure with subdivision turned right up, so were saving a figure with a LOT of polys.

Basic rule, turn subdivision off while setting up the scene and while saving, Turn subdivision on when rendering. And note that for background figures where the subdivision won't be noticeable, leave it off when rendering too so your background figures are just 19000 polys, not the 60000plus of V4 or M4.

edited December 1969

Anybody from DAZ reading this:

While cooperating with SmithMicro, please ask them to produce the universal pose data file for Genesis.

Was a time I could have made it myself in PuppetMasterBiped, which had an interface for users to set up new figures. But after buying out PMB, SmithMicro put a cutdown version in Poser as Universal Pose, with no interface for users to set up figures themselves, and then refused to update the full PMB to work in Poser 9/Pro 2012. (And that is 'refused' as in I actually asked them, and they actually said explicitly that they would not update PMB to the new python.) As I can't load Genesis into poser 8 where I have a working PMB, and I can't run PMB in Poser Pro 2012, I can't make a PMB/Universal Pose data file myself. So as SM have removed the ability of users to make data files for Universal Pose themselves, they really owe it to Poser users to produce Universal Pose data files for any and all new figures in a timely fashion as they come out.

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Excellent news! QUESTION: What about the SubD dragon in Poser?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Since the DSON Importer provides Catmull-Clark subD, I'd imagine the SubDragon would work fine in Poser. However, I don't own P9 or PP2012 so I can't verify this.

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

YEA! I GOT MINE WORKING AT HOME :D

AA.jpg
    603 x 787 - 51K
  • griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

The SubD dragon LE which I found in my figures library looks alright, but that's just me. He does seem to have subdivision.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    That's good news on the Legacy files. :)

So...once I've loaded the content, I noticed that I have a bunch of stuff in a Poser runtime and other DS folders outside of that. Poser only looks at that Runtime.

Can I move these Genesis files around in the Poser runtime without breaking anything? In a nutshell, the folders are poorly organized/named and need to be adjusted. I do this all the time with Poser content (excluding geometries, pmds, textures, etc.) but I'm not sure if I can rename a folder of Genesis content without breaking everything.

Help!

Anybody know the answer to this? Perhaps an admin? ;-)

The Data folder must not be moved - it has the geometry and morphs, if it can't be found the content won't load. I'm not sure which, if any, of the other non-Runtime folders are needed - you could always try moving them to a safe place, then loading the content.

I also want to know about this. I do not use the typical Poser runtime structure. For example, for James for M5, for my use, the Poser Companion files tjhat are supposed to go under materials and pose would go under

Runtime:Libraries:Characters:!People:Genesis:M5 James (I'd have the morphs and mats in the same folder or in a folder I create below that for them).

In DS, I am using the smart content for any DS4 stuff that comes with it, so I leave those where they are originally, but that's not my process in Poser. Since I have to actually FIND each file in my Poser Runtime, I want it to be somewhere that actually makes sense to me.

The concern is that in the Poser companion Support files, the .dsx file specifically points to the Runtime structure that is in the poser Companion files. But I'm not sure what this file actually does in Poser.

I haven't yet installed the DSON converter so haven't tried this all yet...just my thoughts right now

The Poser support files that are installed into folders in the normal Poser runtime/libray/character etc folders, like the files for launching Genesis in Poser, can be moved around within the runtime just like any Poser files within the runtime except that (i) you must keep the sets together, so the Genesis.cr2 Genesis.duf Genesis.png and Genesis.py must be kept together, and (ii) they must stay in the correct Poser library folder for the Poser file filetype in the set. So you could move that lot out of runtime:libraries:Character:DAZ People and into Character:!People:Genesis or somesuch.

the data folder alongside the runtime needs to stay there, and most of the files inside need to stay where they are, like the .obj files in the Poser geometry folder. I would realy leave the data folder alone unless/until you have a very good understanding of the way DSON support asset files work.

If you don't have DS and no wish to use it, then I'm pretty sure you can delete all the People etc folders that were installed by the Genesis installers in the same folder as the runtime and data folder. Those are simply the content library folders for DS users that would show up in and be clicked on by users in the DS library. e.g. In that people/genisis folder is the genesis.duf file that a DS user would be clicking on in DS to load Genesis. You don't need those, as the files in the runtime;libraries:character etc folders fill those functions for Poser users. So you could delete them, but be careful in case some Poser product put a folder with the same name there.

Thanks, what you're saying makes sense.

I do use DS (more than Poser now) and don't ever move the data files. :) I have occasionally moved the files under the "people" folder, for example, and then corrected the .dsx file in Runtime/Support to reflect the new locations.

It's that .dsx file that confuses me for the Poser companion files. I believe that file tells DS to show things in Smart Content, but what does the .dsx file in Poser do, if anything....?

edited December 1969

I do use DS (more than Poser now) and don't ever move the data files. :) I have occasionally moved the files under the "people" folder, for example, and then corrected the .dsx file in Runtime/Support to reflect the new locations.

It's that .dsx file that confuses me for the Poser companion files. I believe that file tells DS to show things in Smart Content, but what does the .dsx file in Poser do, if anything....?

Nothing in Poser. It's a file with the DS Metadata for the products in DS's content database. Poser now has metadata too, but it's in .xmp files alongside the cr2, pz2 or whatever poser file in the Poser library folders. DAZ installers puts the .dsx file inside the support directory in a mapped runtime, but that's just like it still puts the textures in the textures folder inside the runtime. It's not actually for Poser, just DS.

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:

Nothing in Poser. It's a file with the DS Metadata for the products in DS's content database. Poser now has metadata too, but it's in .xmp files alongside the cr2, pz2 or whatever poser file in the Poser library folders. DAZ installers puts the .dsx file inside the support directory in a mapped runtime, but that's just like it still puts the textures in the textures folder inside the runtime. It's not actually for Poser, just DS.

I should probably add:

The thing is, if you have and use DS as well as Poser, you've probably got the runtime you've put the Poser support files in mapped as one of your Poser format directories in the content library.

If you have, you will find that if you go to that Poser runtime Figures:DAZ People in DS, you will see that Genesis.Cr2 you click on to load Genesis in Poser. And if in DS you click on the Genesis.Cr2, then Genesis loads in DS (because there's an accompanying .duf in the Poser folder along with the cr2, png and .py, so DS executes the .duf and Genesis loads just like it would if you clicked on the .duf in your normal My Library/People/Genesis folder, or wherever you may have moved it in your content library).

So, because in DS you can load the products by going to the Poser runtime and clicking on the Poser support files, there's a .dsx file in the runtime/support so that in DS the smart content knows about the things that can be launched from the Poser runtime.

You probably have the normal Genesis.duf in My Library/People/Genesis, so there's the normal .dsx file with that metadata so the Content DB knows about that. But now there's the Genesis.duf alongside the Genesis.cr2 in the Poser runtime, there's a .dsx file so the content DB knows about that too.

Me, I don't use the DS content DB, so all those .dsx files are nothing to me. For you, if you move DAZ content round in your My Library you will be editing the .dsx files to reflect that (although you don't have to hand edit them - the system allows for you moving things). If you move the Poser companion files around in the runtime, the state of that .dsx file means nothing to Poser, so from a Poser pov you can ignore it. But if you want your Content db to keep up-to-date for showing the Poser companion files (which can be used to load things in DS) in DS, then you should treat them the same as the .dsx files for the DAZ format content in My Library.

I'm very muzzy headed, so not quite sure if I explained that clearly enough. hope so.

• miketeemiketee Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

digitell said:
    Well I give up lol..I have installed and uninstalled and did everything instructed to do but the figure will not show up in my work space..*sigh* :(..
    Just was not meant to be I guess..

Not sure if you downloaded the latest version of SR3 from Smith Micro - it is SR 3.1 for Poser. It took me from totally frustrated to using Genesis in Poser!

• miketeemiketee Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Just a quick question about the store. There are items I have for Genesis - like the Genesis Bikini. When I click on this item in my itemized order history and it goes to the downloadable files area, I do NOT see any DSON files. This is true for many items I have that are listed in the DSON ALL category (for sale). Do I have to re-buy for the DSON functionality to 'kick in' (I sure hope not!)? Or is it just a matter of being patient and waiting till the existing (itemized order history) files are updated for DSON?

Thanks!

edited December 1969

miketee said:
    Just a quick question about the store. There are items I have for Genesis - like the Genesis Bikini. When I click on this item in my itemized order history and it goes to the downloadable files area, I do NOT see any DSON files. This is true for many items I have that are listed in the DSON ALL category (for sale). Do I have to re-buy for the DSON functionality to 'kick in' (I sure hope not!)? Or is it just a matter of being patient and waiting till the existing (itemized order history) files are updated for DSON?

Thanks!

Being patient and waiting.

Or using DS to convert to DSON (if it's not already) and generate the Poser comapanion files yourself.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited December 1969

Bit confused right now. I installed V5, Gabi and Tori. Their shape shows up but I cannot find any of the mat files. Are there any Poser companion files for the mats? For instance, Bree comes with V5 and I cannot find the mats for her. Bree is one of my favorite mats so I was hoping to check it out in Poser......

Signed,
    Confused.

LOL

;-)

• thd777thd777 Posts: 931
    edited December 1969

Bit confused right now. I installed V5, Gabi and Tori. Their shape shows up but I cannot find any of the mat files. Are there any Poser companion files for the mats? For instance, Bree comes with V5 and I cannot find the mats for her. Bree is one of my favorite mats so I was hoping to check it out in Poser......

Signed,
    Confused.

LOL

;-)

There are no MAT files. The Poser materials are in (Drum roll...) Materials!
    Check the material collections in the same runtime as the shapes. At least that is the case for Tori.

Ciao
    TD

• Porthos1Porthos1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I bought the DSON Genesis Creature Creator bundle, some of the morphs are missing.

It's suppose to have 7 Full Body Morphs

Exo
    Faerie
    Goblin
    Hag
    Ogre
    Stocky
    Zombie

I'm missing Faerie and Hag.(see image)

Also, there is no change in the head when using the Zombie morph!

I have Poser Pro 2012 and the latest SR3

capture.JPG
    183 x 250 - 18K
  • thd777thd777 Posts: 931
    edited October 2012

Porthos1 said:
    I bought the DSON Genesis Creature Creator bundle, some of the morphs are missing.

Exo
    Faerie
    Goblin
    Hag
    Ogre
    Stocky
    Zombie

In my install Fairy and Hag are under actor- female- Fantasy SciFi
    Did you check there?
    The Zombie works fine here. Not sure what the problem could be there. The change in the head isn't as pronounced as in the body, but that is the same in DAZ studio.
    TD

Post edited by thd777 on
  • Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited December 1969

thd777 said:

Signed,
    Confused.

LOL

;-)

Check the material collections in the same runtime as the shapes. At least that is the case for Tori.

Ciao
    TD

DOH!!!! How about that? Poser mats in the mats folder!! What will they think of next? LOL
    Thanks THD!!

• featherwitchfeatherwitch Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Just want to say a big THANK YOU to both the DAZ and Smith Micro folks for creating this...most awesome! Of course my bank account doesn't thank you, but... ;-)
    Much appreciated! :cheese:

• griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    miketee said:

Thanks!

Being patient and waiting.

Or using DS to convert to DSON (if it's not already) and generate the Poser comapanion files yourself.

The Genesis bikini should have the DSON core file, legacy file, and Poser companion file. I reset mine and have them.

On things like the Genesis evolution morphs, the Fantasy shapes, and the wicked fairytail morphs, there is only the main file. They will work find in your poser if you just put them in the same place as your other Genesis content that you are using in Poser with the DSON importer. They'll show up in the genesis figure to dial in as you need.

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited December 1969

thd777 said:

Signed,
    Confused.

LOL

;-)

Ciao
    TD

DOH!!!! How about that? Poser mats in the mats folder!! What will they think of next? LOL
    Thanks THD!!
    LOL It's so confusing that we totally forget there could actually be things sitting in the right place!!

Nice to see you too!! :-)

Love, Jeanne

edited December 1969

Porthos1 said:

Exo
    Faerie
    Goblin
    Hag
    Ogre
    Stocky
    Zombie

Just on a hunch, try reinstalling them. Someone else found the files weren't all there when they installed the creature morphs, but installing again with the exact same installer worked.

• Porthos1Porthos1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thd777 said:
    Porthos1 said:

Exo
    Faerie
    Goblin
    Hag
    Ogre
    Stocky
    Zombie

In my install Fairy and Hag are under actor- female- Fantasy SciFi
    Did you check there?
    The Zombie works fine here. Not sure what the problem could be there. The change in the head isn't as pronounced as in the body, but that is the same in DAZ studio.
    TD

Thanks for that, never thought to check the female actor! :)

• edited December 1969

Just wanted to drop a quick note, say thanks to DAZ for doing this for us Poser users.
    It is incredibly much appreciated! (And certainly from my perspective, good business sense for DAZ. :) )

• MartialMartial Posts: 404
    edited December 1969

I have installed DAZStudio_4.5.1.6_Win64 and DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Win64 in Poser pro 2012 and update POser to sr 3,1
    and finally install 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.6_dpc in Poser
    Everything seems working
    But after i reset download for V5 and M5 and install all DSON file (ex 13885_BenjaminM5PoserCF_1.3_dpc) in Poser pro 2012 folder
    each file seems there and i click for loading and nothing appears in the scene except the name in the list of preview files and no error message
    What is wrong ?
    I am using Dimension 3d XL as libraries browser with Windows 7 64 bits

Thanks

edited December 1969

Martial said:
    I have installed DAZStudio_4.5.1.6_Win64 and DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Win64 in Poser pro 2012 and update POser to sr 3,1
    and finally install 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.6_dpc in Poser
    Everything seems working
    But after i reset download for V5 and M5 and install all DSON file (ex 13885_BenjaminM5PoserCF_1.3_dpc) in Poser pro 2012 folder
    each file seems there and i click for loading and nothing appears in the scene except the name in the list of preview files and no error message
    What is wrong ?
    I am using Dimension 3d XL as libraries browser with Windows 7 64 bits

Thanks

You need to install the updated core files as well as the Poser Companion Files.

• WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

danboi said:
    I've gone bog-eyed reading through all these posts for the answer I'm looking for :) I'd be interested to know if there any Poser 9 users here that are able to use the DSON importer without the library totally freezing after the Genesis figure imports with DSON?
    Windows 7 using the 32 bit version!

Danny

Hi Danny,
    I have Windows 7, 64 bit. But I am using Poser 9 32 bits. I used the DSON 32 bits on my computer. Genesis works great. I need to learn more about using Poser. Renders real fast. I am working my way up to multiple characters in a scene, I haven't put all my Daz and Poser stuff on my computer yet.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    sedor said:
    Bejaymac said:

I don't think it's quite that severe. I just saved a pz2 scene with 2 M5s (subdivided) a back drop and two underwear and that file is 52mb. The render I rendered in Poser with one M5 and bluebird3d's "A bright loft" only took 33. Poser doesn't support DSON natively so it can't save the scene in that format, so you can't drop that in DAZ's lap. ;)

Hmm wonder why the second half of my post didn't make it.

Repost :P
    Then there's the problem of content, it's odds on that people are going to start making content in P9/Pro12 for Genesis, and because they can't save in DSON means it wont be compatible with DS4, so our own figure will have content that we can't use on it.

*Bold text in quote* that one I can :P

This discussion has been closed.