Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• Mary WilliamsMary Williams Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

jago187 said:
    To back up a bit - does everything we want to use in Poser that is exclusively for Genesis require this "Companion" file? What purpose does that file serve? Are we out of luck until there is some kind of universal compatibility "importer"?

Lots of questions.

We can make conversions ourselves using DS4.5 if the merchant hasn't yet (or doesn't wish to) make Poser Companion files for their products to go with the Poser version of Genesis.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited October 2012

jago187 said:

To back up a bit - does everything we want to use in Poser that is exclusively for Genesis require this "Companion" file? What purpose does that file serve? Are we out of luck until there is some kind of universal compatibility "importer"?

Yes you do need the companion files (note the -s - more than one file per item).

First, you need a file that Poser's library can see, so you can see and click on it. Poser's library only sees Poser format files, like cr2s, pz2s, it doesn't see DS format files like .duf and .dsa.

And then you need a python script that tells Poser and the DSON plugin to load the DS figure or preset or whatever, and where its files are.

So you see the cr2 in the Poser figure library (because Poser will show you any file in there with a .cr2 filetype, whatever is actually in it, and try to run it if you click on it), and it isn't a 'real' cr2 in terms of having all the data for a figure a Poser cr2 usually has. But what it has in it (and all it has in it) is a command to Poser to run the associated python script.

So, you click the fake cr2, the fake cr2 makes Poser run the python script, and the python script gets Poser and the DSON Importer plugin to load Genesis and the morphs and UVs and whatever from the DS format files in the data folder.

So - you can only use DS content that is (i) in the DSON format (which is very new, so older DS content can't work until it's been updated), and (ii) has the companion files - the python script to get Poser to load the DS content, and the fake cr2 that starts the matching python script.

If you do nothing yourself, you will have to keep checking which products are DSONed AND have the companion files. If you get DS4.5 installed - not to build scenes and pose and render in, but just as a tool - then you can create the companion files yourself. There's a simple menu entry to click on to make the Poser comanion files at a simple click. And with not much more complexity you can even load old, non-DSONed DS products, resave them in DSON format, adn then click for the Poser companion files. Then you wouldn''t have to wait for DAZ or PAs to update their products to DSON and/or produce the companion files.

Post edited by DavidGB on
    edited December 1969

Sunfire said:
    The hampton hair is supposed to be DSON importer compatable, but when I reset my V5 pro bundle there's no DSON core file, legacy file and especially NO Poser Companion file... Help???

And will Daz be making a poser companion file for the Gens?

Please see my previous post. If DAZ don't, or don't in a timely manner, any user with the (free) DS4.5.1.6 can quickly make the Poser companion files, and if the product isn't in DSON format, turn it into DSON format. It would be easy to learn how to do without learning anything else about using DS at all. And DS is free. Unless someone has a computer on which DS won't run, there's nothing wrong with installing it just as a tool to prepare things for Poser, like CrossDresser, or Morphing Clothes, or any number of other 3rd party tools people install and use to get content ready for use in Poser.

edited December 1969

Oh, and you don't need the 'legacy' file for use in Poser. That's just the product in the old DS format for use in DS 4 or the 4.5 betas.

• griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

I know I mentioned the super suit, and that hampton hair seems to be lacking said companion file for download.

Now I want to know if there will be any updates to the texture files that came out at the same time as much of the stuff in the V5 and M5 bundles.

edited December 1969

Just as a note: If you convert the DS equivalent of Smart Props over, the Props are no longer Smart. You'll have to parent them yourself.

Either that or I'm doing something wrong... again...

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    Sunfire said:
    The hampton hair is supposed to be DSON importer compatable, but when I reset my V5 pro bundle there's no DSON core file, legacy file and especially NO Poser Companion file... Help???

And will Daz be making a poser companion file for the Gens?

Please see my previous post. If DAZ don't, or don't in a timely manner, any user with the (free) DS4.5.1.6 can quickly make the Poser companion files, and if the product isn't in DSON format, turn it into DSON format. It would be easy to learn how to do without learning anything else about using DS at all. And DS is free. Unless someone has a computer on which DS won't run, there's nothing wrong with installing it just as a tool to prepare things for Poser, like CrossDresser, or Morphing Clothes, or any number of other 3rd party tools people install and use to get content ready for use in Poser.

Dial up... 100+ meg files to get DS down... not counting the content which hubby brought home for me with the DSON importer...

• SabbySabby Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Loving this~ YAY! Thanks Daz and Smith Micro

Ayn1.jpg
    600 x 780 - 125K
  • ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Nightsong said:
    Just as a note: If you convert the DS equivalent of Smart Props over, the Props are no longer Smart. You'll have to parent them yourself.

Either that or I'm doing something wrong... again...

Whether a prop smart parents or clothing auot-conforms on load depends which way you save the DSON file. Once the file has been converted to DSON, load the prop or clothing onto the target figure( usually Genesis ). Select Genesis, and save a "Wearable(s) Preset..", This is an option if you click the "+" in the content library or do "File > Save As > Wearable(s) Preset..."

Just a note a "Wearable(s) Preset" can save multiple pieces of clothing and props such that they all come in at once conformed and parented. It is also advisable to have clothing both conformed and parented to the skeleton when do this kind of save.

• 3DXcentric3DXcentric Posts: 16
    edited October 2012

Okay, so can there/will there be a easy-to-follow tutorial to convert item(s) from DS 4.5 to DSON format?

Or, could you load these things, such as the gens, in DS, then save it "over" the original Genesis and have poser import the replacement instead?

Post edited by 3DXcentric on
    edited October 2012

jago187 said:
    Okay, so can there/will there be a easy-to-follow tutorial to convert item(s) from DS 4.5 to DSON format?

Or, could you load these things, such as the gens, in DS, then save it "over" the original Genesis and have poser import the replacement instead?

Conversion docs are up. They walk through the steps. If the content is already in .duf format, its really easy, you can skip to step 3.

Post edited by ketthrove on
  • GregoriusGregorius Posts: 397
    edited December 1969

I re-installed the importer after having updated both Poser to SR3.1 and my Visual C++. I also loaded PP12 as administrator. Still getting 2 duplicate DLL errors about it not being a Win32 application. I might actually lose some hair over this through pulling it out from frustration. Why are the solutions that worked for virtually everyone else not working for me?

Also, for a third time, might it be advisable to uninstall previous versions of Visual C++?

edited December 1969

Gregorius said:
    I re-installed the importer after having updated both Poser to SR3.1 and my Visual C++. I also loaded PP12 as administrator. Still getting 2 duplicate DLL errors about it not being a Win32 application. I might actually lose some hair over this through pulling it out from frustration. Why are the solutions that worked for virtually everyone else not working for me?

Also, for a third time, might it be advisable to uninstall previous versions of Visual C++?

The visual c++ runtimes are generally designed to be installed side by side, generally you don't need to uninstall them.

• LillianaLilliana Posts: 99
    edited October 2012

Maybe you misunderstood.

I am asking about a DSON updated V5 for those that have the 3d World Disk , not my own content from Daz 4.5. I don't use DS.

Excuse me as I peel Latex off my face.

Lilliana said:
    Will there be a way to get updated V5 files for those of us with the 3d World Disc?

As Matty says, if you can run DS4.5 you can do your own conversion. If not you will need to open a support ticket (with Sales) but I'm not sure what the policy on updates will be.

Post edited by Lilliana on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited October 2012

Lilliana said:
    Maybe you misunderstood.

I am asking about a DSON updated V5 for those that have the 3d World Disk , not my own content from Daz 4.5. I don't use DS.

Lilliana said:
    Will there be a way to get updated V5 files for those of us with the 3d World Disc?

As Matty says, if you can run DS4.5 you can do your own conversion. If not you will need to open a support ticket (with Sales) but I'm not sure what the policy on updates will be.

Like Richard said you have 2 options, since you didn't buy V5 from the store:

1) Open a support ticket with sales and maybe they'll give an update (which I doubt since there wasn't anything on the Disk in those magazines to make customers unique like a serial number.

2) Install DS 4.5 and do the conversion yourself... this is more likely what you'll have to do.

Actually if neither one of those options work for you then, there's a 3rd solution.

Buy it officially while it's on sale and then you'll access to the updates.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited December 1969

Sabby said:
    Loving this~ YAY! Thanks Daz and Smith Micro

Sabby, she is a beaut!!!

edited December 1969

Lilliana said:
    Maybe you misunderstood.

Excuse me as I peel Latex off my face.

Lilliana said:

On a whim, I installed my V4/M4 body shapes from my IFX 77 DVD into the same DS Content directory that my Genesis Starter Essentials DS Content was installed, and it appears to be working just fine. I get the V4 shape in Poser and can also load it in the clothing. So, maybe give it a go, and see how it works?

I also opened a support ticket but haven't heard back yet.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited December 1969

greyson5 said:
    everything installs ok genesis loads up , BUT then everything stops or really slows down, I cant get into pose files , lights cameras etc

I have poser 9 sr3 on a 32bit pc

any advice

I had this problem, so I saved the scene, walked away and got some coffee, then restarted Poser. It worked fine after that. Hope that helps. Note: you may have to restart Poser more than once, but that was the only time I had that problem and everything ran more smoothly after that.

Laurie

edited December 1969

pete.c44 said:
    Here is a quick-n-dirty animation test of the Genesis figure in Poser with an aniBlock import.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NASJ4YvDI2U&feature=youtu.be

Ohhh...very cool! :)

Laurie

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited October 2012

OK here is the existing Bug Report on the issue of Genesis Loading but the Poser's Library not responding:

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=48127

Greyson and ezwood, please consider adding any additional information or details to it :)

Made that red cuz for as fast as this thread is going I didn't want you to miss it LOL

AN UPDATE TO THIS ISSUE:
    They have narrowed down what is causing this for some people and are working on a fix to resolve it. I just wanted to let those who were experiencing this know it was looked over today and the Software Dev people are hard at work trying to get it resolved for you all.

As a work around, you can try the following:
    If you’re having issues with switching over to other parts of the library once Genesis is loaded, go into Edit > General Preferences > Library > switch Launch Behavior to External and restart Poser. that fixed it for me.

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
    edited December 1969

I took off all my clothes and danced naked around my computer and that didn't help either... dammit!!!

Did it rain afterward? :lol:

Laurie

edited December 1969

Awww... only phil shaved... no hairy option, no tat option none of the face options. :(

edited December 1969

Since we're all posting piccies....here goes ;). Thanks Daz.

Laurie

Gen.JPG
    724 x 716 - 43K
    edited October 2012

I'm not quite sure how to report bugs to y'all but I thought you'd want a heads up that renders sent to the Poser Queue Manager contain DSON clothing, but no Genesis. I just inadvertently made a render of a ghostly swordswoman with hair and clothing but no corporeal body. :P

PS: Laurie she is beautiful!!!!

Post edited by Mary Williams on
    edited October 2012

I should probably have mentioned that particular figure is also using the Genesis Evolution head morphs ;). I should probably also mention that tho the Daz supplied textures and shader is really very nice, all the SSS groups are in group 1 and so you get a lot of blue around the eyes and lips. If you change the group numbers of the teeth, tongue, gums, and inner mouth, you'll lose the blue shaded areas and it looks great ;). Probably the eye parts as well, but I used EZSkin2 on those. I changed the inner mouth bits to group 2, 3, 4 and 5 since they're all so close together in there.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

That sounds interesting, how do you change these group numbers!?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Just spotted this in my DSON search results:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/poke-away

That looks very useful, but, there's no mention of DSON in the blurb, so does that mean it still needs converting!?

That DSON list is starting to get confusing, particularly when things like that are included which don't appear to have been converted.

CHEERS!

• andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

OK, here's probably a dumb question. When loading the new Poser DSON compatible files, do I have to run all three installers -- Legacy, DSON and Poser compatibility file --- or just DSON and Poser?

edited October 2012

Just DSON and Poser, as far as I know, the legacy is for older versions of DS.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

You need to run the huge Genesis Starter Essentials TRX and point it at a DS Content directory, Genesis Starter Essentials for Poser and point it at a new Runtime (a new one is suggested by the user guide), and run the DSON Importer and point it at your P9/PP2012 installation. At least, that's all I did, and it works.

This discussion has been closed.