Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    Oh dear. this thread has grown by so many pages since I was last in it, I'm afraid I just can't go back to read all I've missed. Can't concentrate on the computer for a fraction of the time it would take. So sorry if this has already been asked and answered but ...

Has there been any statement from DAZ about the issue of Genesis appearing in Poser with no smoothscale parameters set in bodyparts, so many of the Genesis body proportion dials don't work. (As in: they do something, but what they do is horrible.) I found just clicking the Poser joint editor buttons to add scale effect from one bodypart to adjacent bodyparts cleared some problems completely, but others obviously need weightmaps.

Genesis not having its ability to use many of its proportion dials in Poser removes quite a chunk of what's special about Genesis, so i'd just like to know if DAZ are aware of this and have plans to adress the issue.

The bug is reported and confirmed, Scale Bug. Most of Genesis's shapes do not actually use body part scaling, however. Most of them just General scale and then move the joint centers with the morph. There are some, I believe they are looking into the lack of smooth scales.

• 3DXcentric3DXcentric Posts: 16
    edited October 2012

Hello, I have managed to import the standard genesis and all of the applicable morphs, including the body, head, and genitalia morphs. I have two questions.

1) I can't find a "dial", "prop" or "character object" that references the genitalia. I do not know where I can find this in Poser. A clear and concise answer would be great. I have installed the genitalia package, but looking under "hip", "torso" and wherever else I can think of, there are no dials. Perhaps it is not a dial. I do not know.

2) I have some morphs for genesis that come from other websites than Daz and are obviously "not compatable". I am having a difficult time deciphering the instructions provided to "convert" them to a poser-friendly format. Can someone explain how to go about this?

Post edited by 3DXcentric on
  • Risika75Risika75 Posts: 49
    edited December 1969

I haven't read through the whole thread, so if this has been solved by someone else already, I'm sorry.

If you're having issues with switching over to other parts of the library once Genesis is loaded, go into Edit > General Preferences > Library > switch Launch Behavior to External and restart Poser. that fixed it for me.

• MahymdeNocturneMahymdeNocturne Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Risi, you're a life saver! Thank you!!

• Risika75Risika75 Posts: 49
    edited December 1969

You're welcome ;)

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

Go Figure said:
    DavidGB said:

Genesis not having its ability to use many of its proportion dials in Poser removes quite a chunk of what's special about Genesis, so i'd just like to know if DAZ are aware of this and have plans to adress the issue.

Short answer, it is being worked and is likely to be fixed fairly soon.

That's very good news. I was just a bit surprised this was released before that was done if it's not going to take too long.

But scaling joints is actually not what is so special about Genesis. Let me explain with the long answer..

Thanks for taking the time for that, although I did know that, as it happens. I should have perhaps said what is special to me, as someone who has been using DS for the last six years when I'd rather have been using Poser, but whose characters, while quite human (so Genesis Troll and Mr Hyde et al morphs with moved joint centers aren't here or there), need proportions in leg length and shoulder width changing a little from the defaults in the Genesis human male and female morphs, for which the adjustments are provided by bodypart scaling ERCed to the proportion dials. The fact that this has always been broken in Poser has kept me using DS, long after DAZ have annoyed me beyond endurance with things they have done (and things, like fixing many particular bugs, they have not done) with DS, changing it from a program I loved into one I now hate. Over the same six years Poser has gradually been improved, with all the things I detested about it back in 2006 being gradually sorted out, with my last UI issue going with Poser 9, and bodypart scaling finally now being fixed too. So i was joyfully thinking I could leap back to Poser at last, and just use DS as a tool for preparing some things to use in Poser, rather than the other way round as it's been for me for the last six years, only to find that while the bodypart scaling issue in Poser is fixed, it's not for V4 or for Genesis imported into Poser because they're not set up right for the smoothscaling.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited October 2012

I'm not a Poser user, but I thought I'd try the DSON Importer out and didn't run into any problems installing. Installed the DSON Core content and Poser Companion into my existing DS4/Poser shared content library. Installed the importer into my Poser 2012 program folder. The most difficult part was figuring out where the Genesis Poser content ended up in the Poser Content Library. Here is a quick render with M5/M5 Hero morphs and Jeremy Elite texture. I need to update my M5 content as his head didn't dial in when I applied the M5 morphs. I found David's head morph and dialed it a little bit of it.

Edit: The location for the Genesis content is spelled out in the "How to Use the DSON Importer for Poser" documentation.. I know..I'm just impatient.. LOL

Genesis_02.jpg
    1366 x 1024 - 238K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
  • griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

So... the stuff released last week in the PC items... they gonna work?

Looking forward to seeing the Supersuit with all of Randy's wonderful presets updated. Since it uses the furify shaders that have both DS and Poser set ups, things shouldn't be too hard there, and Randy's texture shaders, shouldn't be too difficult either. Looking forward to it though.

edited October 2012

jago187 said:
    1) I can't find a "dial", "prop" or "character object" that references the genitalia. I do not know where I can find this in Poser. A clear and concise answer would be great. I have installed the genitalia package, but looking under "hip", "torso" and wherever else I can think of, there are no dials. Perhaps it is not a dial. I do not know.

The male and female genetalia figures for Genesis are both separate figures you load after loading Genesis and conform them. They do not come with the basic Genesis. The male Genesis genetalia only comes with the M5 Pro bundle, the female genetalia only comes with the V5 Pro bundle. (Note: NOT just the V5 and M5 packs, but the Pro bundles of each.). You can actually just load the M4 Genetalia and then move them into position and parent them to a male-morphed Genesis, and it will also still match M4 textures you apply. Note that the Genesis M5 Genetalia does NOT come with M4 UVs, so you can't apply M4 genetalia textures to it (but there is a freebie M4 remapped version that was released by someone, but I foget who). the V5 Genetalia, by contrast, does come with both V4 and V5 UVs, so can easily be used with a female morphed Genesis with V4 texrures.

Post edited by DavidGB on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

I must be missing something, because I do not see how to change the UV mapping on Genesis in Poser.

Or, perhaps, do I need to update all of my Michael 5 textures to get new files that will apply the correct UV mapping for me?

Apologies if this was covered somewhere, 35 pages is just a little much to try to read and comprehend all at once.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

I don't know if anyone has asked this, but, for how much longer will the Genesis products be discounted? I want to get the V5 Starter Bundle and the Genesis Starter Bundle, but, I can't really afford them till Wednesday, will the offer be over by then!?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    jago187 said:

The male and female genetalia figures for Genesis are both separate figures you load after loading Genesis and conform them. They do not come with the basic Genesis. The male Genesis genetalia only comes with the M5 Pro bundle, the female genetalia only comes with the V5 Pro bundle. (Note: NOT just the V5 and M5 packs, but the Pro bundles of each.). You can actually just load the M4 Genetalia and then move them into position and parent them to a male-morphed Genesis, and it will also still match M4 textures you apply. Note that the Genesis M5 Genetalia does NOT come with M4 UVs, so you can't apply M4 genetalia textures to it (but there is a freebie M4 remapped version that was released by someone, but I foget who). the V5 Genetalia, by contrast, does come with both V4 and V5 UVs, so can easily be used with a female morphed Genesis with V4 texrures.

Thank you for the response. I have purchased the v5 pro bundle, just today. It included a genitalia morph package which I have installed a number of times now. I have looked at all of my libraries, and do not see it. I have made absolutely sure I installed it to the correct directory. It's simply not there. I'm not really concerned with the M5 gen at this time.

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    jago187 said:

But where is it located in the menu? My friend has V5 Pro and gens installed, but can't find it. Is it in the Pose library... or somewhere else?

Thanks in adnvance :)

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited October 2012

DavidGB said:

Interesting,

It's amazing how much money you have to spend if you want to do true nude renders of V5 and M5. Not that I do anyway, but, you'd think it would have been something they would have included in lesser bundles.

In the M5 basic figure pack you do get some underwear, though whether or not you can give the impression that there's something under there remains to be seen.

I'm sure a lot more things will be done in the future that will make things a lot easier. I'm just glad that Poser users can now use some more recent content.. Gen 4, bless it, was showing it's age and it took a lot of work to get it looking totally how it should have. Now we can all use Gen 5 let's hope that both platforms can reap the full benefits of all this new development.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

I believe the gens is a conformer, just like clothing or hair, so you load it from the library, not dial it from parameters.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

I haven't had time to be online much, so when I saw this in the store, I literally squealed!! My family does not understand my glee, so I have to vent it here! Yippee!!!! Yippee!!!! Yippee!!!!

edited December 1969

You should find the gens in the figures library with your genesis figure or V5 or M5. That's where they are in DS, so that is where they are likely to be in Poser. They are not something to dial they're a geografted add on.

Speaking of... how well does geografting work in Poser on Genesis?

edited December 1969

Hi, thanks, I noticed that most of the other things in the bundle have a "poser companion" file, but the Gens do not. I'm thinking they are not getting imported to Poser, just sitting in Daz studio.

• Mary WilliamsMary Williams Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Ok, next fun issue! :D

How do I get the morphs for my Genesis shapes into the clothing I manually convert over to Poser? Some carry over... some do not.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Sunfire said:
    You should find the gens in the figures library with your genesis figure or V5 or M5. That's where they are in DS, so that is where they are likely to be in Poser. They are not something to dial they're a geografted add on.

Speaking of... how well does geografting work in Poser on Genesis?

The M5 gens work. I posted a render on MPE's gallery for those with access. Just make when you add the gens you transfer morphs to it as it works like any other conformer.

edited December 1969

Nightsong said:

How do I get the morphs for my Genesis shapes into the clothing I manually convert over to Poser? Some carry over... some do not.

There's a Transfer Active Morphs script in the DSON folder in the Scripts menu. Make sure you have either Genesis or the clothes selected and click on that script, i believe (haven't tried it yet).

edited December 1969

jago187 said:
    Hi, thanks, I noticed that most of the other things in the bundle have a "poser companion" file, but the Gens do not. I'm thinking they are not getting imported to Poser, just sitting in Daz studio.

Lokks like you'll have to wait for either DAZ or some kind DS user to get round to making the Poser support files for the gens (or try them out in DS). When the Posef support files are done and installed, you should find the gens figure in your Poser library alongside the Genesis figure.

edited December 1969

The M5 gens work. I posted a render on MPE's gallery for those with access. Just make when you add the gens you transfer morphs to it as it works like any other conformer.

So they are just conformers, they don't replace some of the hip mesh and weld into place like in DS, then?

Would have been a bit much to hope for, I suppose. I don't know how they are implementing the subdivision in Poser, nevermind how one could actually achieve the full geografting.

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    Nightsong said:

There's a Transfer Active Morphs script in the DSON folder in the Scripts menu. Make sure you have either Genesis or the clothes selected and click on that script, i believe (haven't tried it yet).

Aha! Worked like a charm! Thank you!!!

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:

So they are just conformers, they don't replace some of the hip mesh and weld into place like in DS, then?

Would have been a bit much to hope for, I suppose. I don't know how they are implementing the subdivision in Poser, nevermind how one could actually achieve the full geografting.

I have no idea how it works, but there is a parameter dial on Genesis and the clothing I've converted over that controls the subdivision level. And, also, Python Scripts that set it, too. I saw them when I went looking for the Transfer Morphs one.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited December 1969

@DAZ: please add this (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9489/#131498) to the FAQ on page 1. I've just downloaded a ton of the WRONG FILES from new purchases today :-(

Now I need to go uninstall/redownload/reinstall everything I bought today. It was a lot, trust me.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:

Well I have a LITTLE knowledge of the gens. They are geo grafted so it really does seem to, at least to me, do a geom switch because if I make the gens transparent there is a gaping hole. Kinda reminded me of the Apollo figure! lol BUT if you delete the gens then the piece of the hip that was "replaced" pops back and fills up the hole again.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Well I have a LITTLE knowledge of the gens. They are geo grafted so it really does seem to, at least to me, do a geom switch because if I make the gens transparent there is a gaping hole. Kinda reminded me of the Apollo figure! lol BUT if you delete the gens then the piece of the hip that was "replaced" pops back and fills up the hole again.

Thanks for the info. So they have got full actual geografting in Poser - wow! Colour me impressed.

Can't imagine how all this is being done. It's almost like the plugin was actually a full but hidden version of DS4.5 that just grabs the parameter dial twiddles from Poser, does what it normally does with Genesis within itself and then sends back the appropriately posed, grafted and subdivided mesh into Poser for rendering or something. I am really amazed. And if they'd only fix the body proportiion scaling too, I'd be really, really happy.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    DavidGB said:

To back up a bit - does everything we want to use in Poser that is exclusively for Genesis require this "Companion" file? What purpose does that file serve? Are we out of luck until there is some kind of universal compatibility "importer"?

Lots of questions.

edited December 1969

The hampton hair is supposed to be DSON importer compatable, but when I reset my V5 pro bundle there's no DSON core file, legacy file and especially NO Poser Companion file... Help???

And will Daz be making a poser companion file for the Gens?

This discussion has been closed.