Tools required to map textures

karlekarle Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi. I have pictures of a model and textures that I would like to map to V4 or Genesis figures.

Could someone tell me which tools I need to apply and fit the various photos to the models, unwrap, etc?

I already have the pictures, from another project, of the model taken from different angles and distances.

Thanks!

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You will need the Texture Template for the character you wish to texture, some are listed at the bottom of the items info page in the shop, and free to get and use. Then you just use a program like Gimp or Photoshop to build the textures you need on the template.

Please note some people also do Bump textures and Displacement textures and Specular textures to make the textures look better.

This is just a short info for you to start with. I Hope you get more in depth info soon.

• karlekarle Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks.
    The part I don't know, is how to "Twist", stretch and cut the texture so that they will fit the templates. When I look at the textures in my runtime, those look like a "Cow hide" :)
    That's the part I don't get!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2012

Making textures for characters is not easy, believe you me. As Jaderail said, you need to find the templates for the character which gives you the layout you need to use.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

karle said:
    Thanks.
    The part I don't know, is how to "Twist", stretch and cut the texture so that they will fit the templates....

You should review the basics of whatever 2D editor you are using.

If your current 2D application does not have such tools, consider finding one that does.

GIMP is great for those on a budget (it's free)

• karlekarle Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll be more precise: I know how to use photoshop, no problem. What I need to know is if there is a program which will "Stretch" my digital 2D photographs to flatten them automatically. When you look at the face templates for example, it is obvious that the cheeks and nose are stretched, etc.

So, Is it expected that I will just do all the work manually of cutting my photographs in little pieces and manually place everything on the template by trial-and-error until it fits and then hide the seams?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

karle said:
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll be more precise: I know how to use photoshop, no problem. What I need to know is if there is a program which will "Stretch" my digital 2D photographs to flatten them automatically. When you look at the face templates for example, it is obvious that the cheeks and nose are stretched, etc.

So, Is it expected that I will just do all the work manually of cutting my photographs in little pieces and manually place everything on the template by trial-and-error until it fits and then hide the seams?

I believe that's pretty much it in a hand basket, except you will need to blend those seams together.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Basically yes that is about the way to do it. I have been texturing clothes for many years, have never managed a creditable character skin, not even using merchant resources meant for the purpose.

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

Singular Inversions has a product called facegen that will create textures and morphs that can be used on Genesis in DS4

I have used the demos, but I personally do not use photographic textures for people, preferring to handpaint the textures for the few that I do.

http://facegen.com/modeller.htm

http://facegen.com/exporterDG.htm