DS 4.5 Pro 64 Bit - I am convinced - until now ;) -

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited October 2012 in The Commons

Okay, just to say one or two things.

As a convinced DS 3 user and after a lot of problems I had with former DS 4 Versions (slower than DS3, closing down by errors and other stuff) I have to say, yes, this new DS4.5 64Bit PRO version I have downloaded a few hours ago seems to be a real next level.

Right after downloading and installing I had some little problems and first I thought, man, kick it but after some help in info by some forum members I must say I am becoming convinced that DS 4.5 64Bit is really good so far. I am just trying some things before I start rendering really good stuff like in DS 3 but as I have said so far it seems that this new DS 4.5 version is good, it is much faster than the older versions and, so it seems, faster than DS 3 but that I say conditionaly until I have done some things that made DS 3 really slow.

My self created canyon (you can see it in my thread) for example is such a thing that made DS3 slow if moving cameras or perspectives and I will test this in DS4.5 :) that is a good comparison.

So after a lot of negative posts by me regarding to DS4 I will just let you know that I am becoming convinced :)

Post edited by cosmo71 on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Good for you Cosmo, I am glad you can see at least some of the benefits now. Hopefully all will go well ;)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

It's about time. LOL

• ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited October 2012

cosmo71 said:

As a convinced DS 3 user and after a lot of problems I had with former DS 4 Versions (slower than DS3, closing down by errors and other stuff) I have to say, yes, this new DS4.5 64Bit PRO version I have downloaded a few hours ago seems to be a real next level.

Right after downloading and installing I had some little problems and first I thought, man, kick it but after some help in info by some forum members I must say I am becoming convinced that DS 4.5 64Bit is really good so far. I am just trying some things before I start rendering really good stuff like in DS 3 but as I have said so far it seems that this new DS 4.5 version is good, it is much faster than the older versions and, so it seems, faster than DS 3 but that I say conditionaly until I have done some things that made DS 3 really slow.

My self created canyon (you can see it in my thread) for example is such a thing that made DS3 slow if moving cameras or perspectives and I will test this in DS4.5 :) that is a good comparison.

So after a lot of negative posts by me regarding to DS4 I will just let you know that I am becoming convinced :)

To get even better drawing rate in 4.5.1.x, you'll want to go to the Interface page in the Edit Preferences... and turn "Display Optimzation" to best, and "Backface Lighting" to false. Warning, however, this may cause issues on some graphics cards, so save your scene first. If it cause Studio to become unstable for you, just launch Studio to an empty scene and change these settings back to the factory values. To get the full speed up form this, use a non-wire frame draw mode for the view port.

Post edited by ketthrove on
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

seems that I am convinced now :) here is a little scene I have build and rendered to see how recource eating ds4.5.1.xx is and how slow it will get when moving the camerea or viewport through the scene. The result so far: not really slow, not so slow than ds3 would be on such a scene. every little plant you see in this image is a 3D object no planes or something like that with maps. this is rendered with uberEnvironment Light 2 and one distant light with raytraced shadow, shadow softness 7%.

unfortunatelly I had to scale the image down for uploading original size is 1600 to 900

ds_4_autumn_core_small.JPG
    1200 x 675 - 401K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2012

Maximum size for an image is 2000 x 2000

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Maximum size for an image is 2000 x 2000

my fault, okay, here is the large size

ds_4_autumn_core.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 712K
    edited December 1969

So, after I have converted my V4 Character Dixie to subD and turned the

1. resolution leven : high resolution
    2. sub division leven : 1
    3 edge.interpolation : soft corners and edges

and rendered Dixie in high 1600 width 1000 from tighs up to head (so really near).

I just can say one thing. I am totally convinced now. Dixie reached a level of quallity that I haven´t expected. Great.

DS4.5 Pro 64Bit is a real step forward, thumbs up.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I was slow to do it as well Cosmo but it sold me after the first render or two.

edited December 1969

where is the image gone????

okay here it is a second time

DX_DS4.5_subD_version_daz_studio_render_.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 162K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I was slow to do it as well Cosmo but it sold me after the first render or two.

have a look at dixie :)

slow? no, fast, much faster than in ds3 and not really slower than without subD

rendertime of the image I have posted 1 to 2 minutes something in between

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:

...I've felt the same way and was very skeptical of trying 4.5 after how poorly 4.0 ran on my old 32 bit system. Like yourself my comments about 4.x have been somewhat less than favourable.

Well I was surprised, very surprised when I actually created a character (my LeelaTeen) using Genesis, Steph4 for Genesis, and Thorne's Princess. Still needs a work on a few details but in just over three hours I accomplished what took weeks if not months to do, and the results are very pleasing. With GenerationX, I should be able to add the morphs I need for the finishing touches.

Yes, it renders incredibly fast compared to 3A. Cancelling a render immediately clears it from memory rather than having to wait, sometimes upwards of fifteen minutes or more for it to clear in 3A. and I can even attmpt multiple render processes without having to shud down ad restart the app/reload the scene between each one Likewise closing the app. cleares all traces of it from memory rather than having it linger like older versions did. So it appears that the memory management issues that often crippled 3A on my system seem to have been dealt with.

Unlike 4.0, I found making camera moves in the viewport to be very clean and precise with little to no lag. The pic I did of Jasmin in 4.0 wasn't much "heavier" poly and transmap wise than the one of Leela I did the other night, yet every camera move lagged badly as if I was working with a full Stonemason set and a couple V4s.in Littlefox's Steam Punk outfits..

My usual experience with newer software updates is that they would tend put a heavier load on the system because of the additional features. This doesn't seem to be the case with 4.5. If anything it starts up and runs cleaner than 4.0 and even 3A.. Accessing content in the library (I use the "view as tree" option and the Darkside UI) is also much quicker than it was in 3A.

I've become used to the newer layout and actually find it surprisingly easy to get around. The fact the app responds so quickly (again even better than 3A does) makes switching tabs and functions nowhere near as "bothersome" as I thought it would be.

...and again this is on my nearly 6 year old 32 bit notebook.

I still have a few "oddities" occur, like the viewport going blank when I make large adjustments in posing or morphing. However, stepping back one undo level fixes it and I realise I just have to go a little slower when making such adjustments. This not a fault of the programme as it is due to the fact that I am running at the minimum OpenGL requirement for the application.

4.5 should also let me take advantage of the 3Delight ver10 standalone to render scenes in background which will let me commit an entire 2GB to the render process.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    cosmo71 said:

...I've felt the same way and was very skeptical of trying 4.5 after how poorly 4.0 ran on my old 32 bit system. Like yourself my comments about 4.x have been somewhat less than favourable.

Well I was surprised, very surprised when I actually created a character (my LeelaTeen) using Genesis, Steph4 for Genesis, and Thorne's Princess. Still needs a work on a few details but in just over three hours I accomplished what took weeks if not months to do, and the results are very pleasing. With GenerationX, I should be able to add the morphs I need for the finishing touches.

Yes, it renders incredibly fast compared to 3A. Cancelling a render immediately clears it from memory rather than having to wait, sometimes upwards of fifteen minutes or more for it to clear in 3A. and I can even attmpt multiple render processes without having to shud down ad restart the app/reload the scene between each one Likewise closing the app. cleares all traces of it from memory rather than having it linger like older versions did. So it appears that the memory management issues that often crippled 3A on my system seem to have been dealt with.

Unlike 4.0, I found making camera moves in the viewport to be very clean and precise with little to no lag. The pic I did of Jasmin in 4.0 wasn't much "heavier" poly and transmap wise than the one of Leela I did the other night, yet every camera move lagged badly as if I was working with a full Stonemason set and a couple V4s.in Littlefox's Steam Punk outfits..

My usual experience with newer software updates is that they would tend put a heavier load on the system because of the additional features. This doesn't seem to be the case with 4.5. If anything it starts up and runs cleaner than 4.0 and even 3A.. Accessing content in the library (I use the "view as tree" option and the Darkside UI) is also much quicker than it was in 3A.

I've become used to the newer layout and actually find it surprisingly easy to get around. The fact the app responds so quickly (again even better than 3A does) makes switching tabs and functions nowhere near as "bothersome" as I thought it would be.

...and again this is on my nearly 6 year old 32 bit notebook.

I still have a few "oddities" occur, like the viewport going blank when I make large adjustments in posing or morphing. However, stepping back one undo level fixes it and I realise I just have to go a little slower when making such adjustments. This not a fault of the programme as it is due to the fact that I am running at the minimum OpenGL requirement for the application.

4.5 should also let me take advantage of the 3Delight ver10 standalone to render scenes in background which will let me commit an entire 2GB to the render process.

I sign all you have written. I also was totally surprised how good ds4.5 pro is and runs also on camera and pov moves and on posing. yes. ds4.5 pro (have the 64 bit version) is really great :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited December 1969

...also have the 64 bit version which after how well I've seen t work under such strict limitations, will be going on the new system.