GenX and Gen4

mathmanmathman Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi,

I am reconstructing all of my DS4 files, etc. after having reformatting my hard disk and reinstalling Windows etc.

I have just installed GenX. In my case, it is an upgrade from Gen4. The problem is that I purchased Gen4 from Renderosity, and so have no order history for Gen4 in my Daz3D account.

Can you please tell me how I can tell GenX to recognize the fact that I have Gen4.

thanks,
Andrew

Comments

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited September 2012

If I remember right, you have to go to Dimension3d's site with your order number(s).

I didn't do that, because Rendo pulled Gen4 right before I went to buy it, so I bought the full version here.

Edit:
    You can PM him here, but I'm not getting PM notification emails, so you might try a PM at Rendo.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/member/86407/

(Speaking of PM, I see I have one, so I'll have to leave it to you to find him there). :)

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • mathmanmathman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi T Jaiman,

Thanks. I have sent a PM to D3D both here and at Rendo. I'll just sit tight now, and wait for the answer.
    Also, AFAIK, Rendo doesn't send PM Notification emails either.

regards,
    Andrew

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,194
    edited December 1969

I recently had to do this myself because I was in the same boat.

This is what I did (working from memory here)

1. Installed GenX to the default location which should be Program Files/DAZ 3D/DazStudio4

2. Launch D/S.

3. Go to HELP>About Installed Plugins.

4. Scroll down until you see Genesis Generation X. Beside it, there should be a long bar where you have to enter a serial code.

5. Go to your "My Account" on the DAZ website. Locate "My Serial Numbers". Go to where you should have a Serial Number for GenX. Copy it with your mouse.

6. Go back to Daz Studio and enter your serial number in the empty box and click on the symbol next to it.

7. If it asks for verification at this point or when you try to use GenX, enter your Rendro username/E-mail and the Order number that you ordered Gen4.

8. Your Rendro order number for Gen4 can easily be found on Rendro. If you don't know how, sign in and go to "Members>My Account" then scroll down until you see "Search Perchases". Enter Gen4 and click Go/Search. You should find it very easily. The number beside it is your order number. Enter that in the required field in D/S. Click OK.

9. Now within D/S go to Windows>Panes>GenX

Should work now.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Knight22179,

That has worked ! .... It was even slightly easier, when I went to validate GenX, it asked me for my Rendo details straight away. I'm not sure how it knew, but all's well that ends well.

regards,
    Andrew

edited December 1969

Your welcome! :)

Yeah, not sure how it knew either since I had Gen4 installed in a completely different location. But, I'm not complaining. ;)

Have fun with GenX. DimensionTheory is a genius for making it. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

mathman said:

Hi T Jaiman,

Thanks. I have sent a PM to D3D both here and at Rendo. I'll just sit tight now, and wait for the answer.

regards,
    Andrew

Errr... oops. Sorry I had you bug him. :red:

Glad Knight22179 got you going.

Also, AFAIK, Rendo doesn't send PM Notification emails either.

By George, I think you're right. That's odd.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...blecch, if you have to go through a lot of hoops to get things working right, then it's not worth the price.

edited December 1969

It wasn't a lot of hoops, it was just a matter of finding out what to do, and it turned out to be a reasonable procedure when you are getting an upgrade discount.

edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...blecch, if you have to go through a lot of hoops to get things working right, then it's not worth the price.

Cross-site upgrades are like that. But it's a bit more than twice the work of putting in a serial number. (Maybe thrice, if you look up un/pw).

And when you think about it, Daz, Poser, or other, you're always going to hit (too many) spots where you jump through hoops.

But most of the time, they're quicker to do, than to read about. (Unlike hoops in real life).

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Not really a lot of hoops for me. Once I got the help I needed and figured out what needed to be done, it was rather quick. Now that it's set up now, I don't have to ever do it again. Now I can transfer all my characters again. So, for me it's well worth the price. Every penny. Besides, I bought the upgrade. The upgrade is about half the price as the regular program. ;)

edited December 1969

...so for those who already had GenerationX, it actually involves additional cost to upgrade it for use it with 4.5 rather than just a reset of the original DL?

edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so for those who already had GenerationX, it actually involves additional cost to upgrade it for use it with 4.5 rather than just a reset of the original DL?

Oh hell no. He used to sell Gen4 at Rendo, then he moved here to sell his improved version.
    The update for 4.5 was made available by account reset. (I think the 4.0 and 4.5 versions are in the same download, lemme check).

Man, no wonder you thought this was bad.

edit: Yep, 4.0 and 4.5 versions in each download. No muss, no fuss.

They don't charge for updated plugins. Just upgraded ones (5.x will be an upgrade).

edited September 2012

No, no! For you, all you have to do is reset your download, re-download it and that's it. It "should" install in the same location when you installed GenX the first time. So, you have an easier time than I did. At least you should. :)

The additional cost only applies to those of us who had Gen4 that want to upgrade to GenX.

Edited to add: Blast it! T Jaiman, you beat me to it. :P

Post edited by Knight22179 on
    edited September 2012

LOL! I ninja'd somebody!

Nothing personal. :lol:

Daaang... I wonder how many seconds that was?

He's not a potential customer anyway. And I say that with the utmost understatement.

He's not really into the whole Genesis thing.

Give him time.

edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:

LOL! I ninja'd somebody!

Nothing personal. :lol:

Daaang... I wonder how many seconds that was?

He's not a potential customer anyway. And I say that with the utmost understatement.

He's not really into the whole Genesis thing.

Give him time.

No worries. *LOL* And it wasn't by much because I didn't see your reply until after I posted. ;)

edited October 2012

...and it will be a long time unless I get an increase in the pay envelope. With basic RL costs constantly going up and up while income isn't, it is becoming a lot harder to justify investing all over again in Gen5 to make it as useful as what I already have.

Autofit will not be a viable solution to having to purchase new Gen5 clothing content until the footwear/glove fit and texture/skirt mesh distortion issues are resolved.

Also, Vicky5, Steph5, Mike5 (and most likely K5 when released) all cost significantly more for the base figure than their Gen4 counterparts. It is just the nature for prices on 3D figures/content to increase as well as the PAs have RL expenses to deal with as well.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...and it will be a long time unless I get an increase in the pay envelope. With basic RL costs constantly going up and up while income isn't, it is becoming a lot harder to justify investing all over again in Gen5 to make it as useful as what I already have.

Man, I hear you, the inflation is ruinous.

Autofit will not be a viable solution to having to purchase new Gen5 clothing content until the footwear/glove fit

That's why we've got the Transfer Utility. A fair fraction of old footwear can be converted with insignificant flaws.
    As long as I don't do any closeup of people's shod feet, I'll be fine.

For gloves, I don't know, because I haven't run across any need for them, yet.

and texture/skirt mesh distortion issues are resolved.

Texture distortion can be a nuisance, at times, but there's always something, isn't there?

Every version & generation has to give us some jacked up thing.

Also, Vicky5, Steph5, Mike5 (and most likely K5 when released) all cost significantly more for the base figure than their Gen4 counterparts. It is just the nature for prices on 3D figures/content to increase as well as the PAs have RL expenses to deal with as well.

I could give two plops about V5, or M5. They have characters based on them too, and I couldn't care less.

If I get to where I can be spendy, then I'll look at them again.

If we get a K5, then I'll want that.

Might be more likely to see cold fusion generators on store shelves.

edited December 1969

...why wait?

40-mr_fusion.jpg
    400 x 300 - 12K
    edited December 1969

Oh, that rocks!

Couldn't possibly cost more than my electric bill.

edited October 2012

...OK in going though all the DL folders (with a lot of content still waiting to be installed) I have I found somehow I actually ended up getting GenerationX. When, I'm not sure, but must have been during one of the recent sales. Upgraded and installed. Then had a "doh" moment as I forgot I had to register the SN.

OK so it now works, sort of. Read the PDF manual and can't quite figure out how to load a "legacy" character and morphs in forusewith Genesis. In the PDF it mentions loading a Gen4/Gen3 character from the Studio4 Library. All my older figure/morph is in my S3A runtime. Do I need to reinstall everything to 4.5 to access it with G-X?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

No - just make sure DS is pointed to your runtime, and drag the figure from there

edited October 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK in going though all the DL folders (with a lot of content still waiting to be installed) I have I found somehow I actually ended up getting GenerationX. When, I'm not sure, but must have been during one of the recent sales.

Whoa!

Upgraded and installed. Then had a "doh" moment as I forgot I had to register the SN. OK so it now works, sort of. Read the PDF manual and can't quite figure out how to load a "legacy" character and morphs in forusewith Genesis. In the PDF it mentions loading a Gen4/Gen3 character from the Studio4 Library. All my older figure/morph is in my S3A runtime. Do I need to reinstall everything to 4.5 to access it with G-X?

Just map the S3A runtime into DS4. That'll make it a Studio4 Library.

That PDF is kinda confusing. Tako Yakida GenX_Tutorial

You can save some time by creating template CR2's, loaded with Morphs++, and whatever other dials a character might call for, and saving them, as CR2s, into a runtime.

Of course, you'll need the Genesis shape that the character requires (V4, V3...), to get the original look.

I'm still puttering, because I don't haven't had much hobby time lately (and so many newer things to play with). I've only saved easy ones. I haven't got as far as issues such as S4 from V4, and the possible wrinkles in saving some kinds of scaling... Last I heard, if it's the wrong kind of source, for saving scaling, you can scale Genesis manually, a part at a time, and save that.

Shouldn't be hard to find people who can answer that stuff, tho'.

edit: World's most leisurely ninja-ing. Had to do something else, mid-post.

edited December 1969

...well looked into that that and apparently broke something for when I now try to load any of the characters I built on Genesis I get a a bunch of errors (Screenshot 1) and the figure loads only in solid bounding box mode.

The second screenshot is the display of the directories mapped. I may have accidentally deleted something important but don't remember what it was. Really not good at this kind of thing.

directory_map_settings.jpg
    725 x 461 - 126K
    load_error.jpg
    450 x 295 - 71K
    edited October 2012

Wow, mapped folders and missing files aren't my strong suits, but I will ponder. Hopefully, someone will come in with a solve, if I don't hit it.

Is everything updated?

What happens when you search for those files, with Windows search, or, better, Everything?

Did you install the DSON importer's files, or anything? Maybe they moved some things?
    (Unlikely, but I think installers moved things, a while back, and that's what caused Duplicate-ID issues, which they came up with answers for).

I assume you GenX'd with 4.5. But if you GenX'd first, then went to 4.5 later, things might've possibly got moved.

It's looking for Studio-content shapes in C:\Documents and Settings\[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Base

By the way, Everything is my acid-test, to see if I've bought something before. For example "Magna Hart exe" (with spaces) will turn up the installer, regardless of other crap in the filename. It takes a few minutes, on the first startup, then watches for changes, and works instantly.

Edit: I would think your C:\Documents and Settings\[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\, for DAZ Studio Format, should be enough for Studio to find all the dsf's.

GenX's dsf's are a mix of plain text and binary. If there'd been a change of folders, it might be possible to edit the source folder - once it's backed up, of course. The only source directory, that I see is "parent" : "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#Genesis"

edited December 1969

..."purchased" but haven't even DL'd DSON yet as it will go on the new system.

The last thing I installed was the latest update of GenerationX.

OK I went checked for that path however instead of ending in a folder titled "\Base" there is the following:

\DAZ3D
    ---\Aiko3
    ---\Evolution
    ---\Hiro3
    ---\Victoria 5

There is none titled "\Steph4" either even though I installed her body shape for Genesis.

This looks bad and I feel like something was hosed when I was moving things around in the Content Management pane. I even tried mapping anything with the label "Daz" in it figuring I'd end up hitting the right one, but still getting the same results. It's almost as if something got deleted from the drive itself rather than just from the map list.

edited October 2012

Well, I don't know how it could get deleted. Weird. That sounds like something for Richard, or FixMyPCMike to comment on.

First you should search the drive, for the missing filenames, to see if the stuff got moved somehow.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a way to accidentally physically move stuff, instead of just moving the way it displays.

If it's truly gone, I'd try reinstalling GenesisStarterEssentials, Steph, and any other missing content.

Here's something similar:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8327/

And a site search.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Are you on XP or Win7?

edited October 2012

He's almost positively on his old notebook, which is XP.

In other threads, recently, he's been talking about 4.5 and GenX on the notebook

There's a newer desktop that I don't think is finished yet.

edited December 1969

Are you on XP or Win7?

..XP32
    edited October 2012

[a little miffed because Magento logged me out of the forums when I went off line for a bit and only gives me the store login (with that lovely timeout feature) when I try to log back in. I thought this was fixed a month or so ago]

..anyway, may have discovered what happened to my Genesis.

When I attempted to reinstall the Genesis Essentials this is the default path it gave me:

Content Path: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXXXXX\Desktop\extract\daz 45\DAZ-Studio-Windows\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library.

This is what I probably deleted from the mapped directories (and probably why I was having issues with the GenerationX Plugin) as I saw it went to a local desktop folder rather than the 4.5 default content location. Not sure how the installer picked this path as the default for I didn't tick the custom install box to change anything.

...the path should read:

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXXXX\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

...correct?