Question about the Daz FBX Exporter

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi all,

I've made a figure in Daz Studio 4, originating from M4, and I've used morphs to make him very skinny.

Now, I try and bake those morphs when I export as a FBX out of Daz, but when I import it into other software, the Michael figure isn't skinny anymore.

In other words, the morphs haven't carried over with the FBX format. Can someone please let me know if this is a bug, or am I doing it wrong? I tried to smooth the morphs, but that just crashed Daz.

Secondly, if you know of a tutorial clip about the FBX Exporter plug-in, I'd really appreciate it if you could post the link.

Many hanks in advance :)

Paul

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Carder123 said:
    Hi all,

I've made a figure in Daz Studio 4, originating from M4, and I've used morphs to make him very skinny.

Now, I try and bake those morphs when I export as a FBX out of Daz, but when I import it into other software, the Michael figure isn't skinny anymore.

In other words, the morphs haven't carried over with the FBX format. Can someone please let me know if this is a bug, or am I doing it wrong? I tried to smooth the morphs, but that just crashed Daz.

Secondly, if you know of a tutorial clip about the FBX Exporter plug-in, I'd really appreciate it if you could post the link.

Many hanks in advance :)

Paul

the last info I saw - they are still working on it
    did you try obj format ?

• edited December 1969

Hi Bigh, no I didn't opt for OBJ because I'm having to keep the clothing editable and am taking it into iclone's 3DXchange.

They have this tuorial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y63R_VEXF4&feature=player_embedded

...and it appears to work. Not for me it doesn't.

edited December 1969

Carder123 said:
    Hi Bigh, no I didn't opt for OBJ because I'm having to keep the clothing editable and am taking it into iclone's 3DXchange.

They have this tuorial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y63R_VEXF4&feature=player_embedded

...and it appears to work. Not for me it doesn't.

got you - I have done one for iClone - worked fine for me
    will try another - get back to you

• edited December 1969

Are you using a Genesis character or a Michael 4 base character? All my characters are M4 and V4 - which I'm guessing doesn't export properly as an FBX file.

If you've successfully exported a M4 character as an FBX, could upi possibly share the export settings with me? and do you have to smooth the morphs and reduce the polygon count before exporting?

edited December 1969

Carder123 said:
    Are you using a Genesis character or a Michael 4 base character? All my characters are M4 and V4 - which I'm guessing doesn't export properly as an FBX file.

If you've successfully exported a M4 character as an FBX, could upi possibly share the export settings with me? and do you have to smooth the morphs and reduce the polygon count before exporting?

I did Genesis - didn't try M4 .
    I just did it as is - no smooth or reduce polygon count .
    you should reduce polygon count - I was doing a test to see how it would work .

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Carder123 said:

I did Genesis - didn't try M4 .
    I just did it as is - no smooth or reduce polygon count .
    you should reduce polygon count - I was doing a test to see how it would work .

just tryed baby3 - worked fine - big polygon count 132,000 - so M4 should work

• edited December 1969

I don't suppose you could try it out on a Michael 4 figure your end?

I don't want to give up on M4 just yet, as I've spent a lot of money on Morphs ++ and M4 clothing.

edited December 1969

Carder123 said:
    I don't suppose you could try it out on a Michael 4 figure your end?

I don't want to give up on M4 just yet, as I've spent a lot of money on Morphs ++ and M4 clothing.

sure if I can fine M4 .

• edited December 1969

I just bought the Genesis Evolution Morph Bundle from the store: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-evolution-morph-bundle

Have a feeling I'm going to have to design my characters from scratch using Genesis.

I keep trying FBX exports of M4....doesn't work :(

edited December 1969

Carder123 said:
    I just bought the Genesis Evolution Morph Bundle from the store: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-evolution-morph-bundle

Have a feeling I'm going to have to design my characters from scratch using Genesis.

I keep trying FBX exports of M4....doesn't work :(

have you tryed V4 - just to see if it works - if it does work for you then M4 should
    will get back to you later - got to get some zzzzzzzzzzz

• Daily_DoodlerDaily_Doodler Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

thats a very long sleep bigh! I'm having Studio FBX export - Maya troubles myself. Animation associated with clothing doesn't appear in Maya. gav (sweet dreams)

edited December 1969

gcookman said:
    thats a very long sleep bigh! I'm having Studio FBX export - Maya troubles myself. Animation associated with clothing doesn't appear in Maya. gav (sweet dreams)

just waking up ;-)
    don't have Maya so can't tell you what to try - sorry

• edited December 1969

wow...this was a while ago! Don't worry chaps...thanks to the following releases, I worked around this problem;

I found a way of sticking with my M4 and V4 shapes with THIS

...and so my Daz Pro 4.5 Autofit fits all my M4/V4 clothing to Genesis!

Oh, and THIS was the best $20 I've ever spent!

As Iclone only really accepts Genesis at the moment (or so I'm led to believe).....this is problem solved! :)

edited December 1969

Yeah they're really good add ons! dont suppose you had any joy exporting animated dynamic clothes

edited December 1969

gcookman said:
    Yeah they're really good add ons! dont suppose you had any joy exporting animated dynamic clothes

the only program that I know it will work in is Carrara 8.5 pro .

• edited December 1969

Hi gcookman, I agree with Bigh. I tried to play around with dynamic clothes exporting once, but it's impossible to get your Daz dynamic clothing working in anything other than Carrara. (Maybe if you're advanced super-brain it might be, but for the average hobbist consumer like myself, it's not)

As Daz is SO hopeless at attaching 'sef-made/non-AniMate' BVH's to it's characters, I'm simply exporting out the models, and then using iClone's 3DXchange Pipeline to attach them instead. Then tweaking the poke-throughs and hand gestures in Motionbuilder.

Daz really needs to address it's timeline functionality. If I want my character to belly-dance or perform martial arts..I'm laughing!, but if you assign BVH's (in my case, made in Ipi Soft)......you get roadkill.

Sort it out in version 5 please Daz! :) Wake up.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the above Bigh, that's a bummer.

• edited December 1969

Hi all (again)....listen, I know I'm a novice at Daz...hands up, I admit it!

If you make a fat guy dance in Daz, his belly bounces! right?

....is there a way (via a third-party plug-in perhaps) to export those weight maps (or ...ahem....whatever they're called) into Motionbuilder?

Would love to know th answer to THAT one! :)

edited December 1969

Hey Carder,
    I've managed to export the dynamic clothes animation by using the "freeze animation" function in the Dynamic plug in add on. When the dynamic bit loses touch with the main figure once in Maya. Hopefully I get that sussed sooner rather than later!!!!
    Now I've always found attaching BVH pretty good in Daz, what's the issue you have? The poke through thang! have you tried the Apply smoothing modifier? You have to be on the scene tab, select the item of clothing, then that little dropdown at the top left edit>geometry>apply smoothing modifier (4.5.1.6 version should be there in previous versions) should save you a bit of time it's fairly swift.
    Will keep an eye out for the weight maps problem not my bag I'm afraid. But surely if he's a fat guy he'll be carry the weight anyway!!!!!