Dear Poser users - RE: Genesis for Poser

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Welcome to the party!

:)

Comments

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775
    edited December 1969

Thanks. Busy re-downloading all my Genesis/Gen 5 stuff now, I can see this is gonna take awhile but from what I gather very worth the effort. :-)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553
    edited December 1969

LOL, funny, I have seen a few posters that I haven't seen in awhile posting in the DSON thread, hmmmmmmm

While i am thrilled to see this come to life, i doubt it will change much for me. I have poser 5, 6, 7, and 2012, but since i prefer unbiased rendering my workflow is DS4 to Reality to Luxrender and frankly the efficiency that DS4 allows for changing shapes and getting clothes to fit on the fly is very hard to beat, not to mention having great things like the smoothing modifier and collision detection. I haven't even used Morphing clothes since I started using DS4. I do miss poser dynamic cloth though.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775
    edited December 1969

Yes, there are some things Studio does better and/or more efficiently than Poser. And the opposite is also true, which is why I have & use both.
    Getting Genesis to work in Poser (better than it used to) is a big plus for me, others will have different opinions. Whatever floats your boat. ;-)

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Byrdie said:
    Yes, there are some things Studio does better and/or more efficiently than Poser. And the opposite is also true, which is why I have & use both.
    Getting Genesis to work in Poser (better than it used to) is a big plus for me, others will have different opinions. Whatever floats your boat. ;-)

For instance, Poser has a manual.

;-)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    Byrdie said:

For instance, Poser has a manual.

;-)LOL and IDL built in. :) Shame I have Poser 8 but I have downloaded the Importer just in case I upgrade. :)

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Poser 7 for me, but since the Importer was free, I got the Importer as well in case I decide to upgrade later. :)

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

Yay... wait... I only have PP2010... But I'm gonna upgrade soon anyway... I really want the light emitting materials. Thanks DAZ.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

I use DAZ Studio and pretty much nothing else. Even so, I grabbed it as, hey, free ****. So if something happens that makes me use Poser, I am prepared!

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited October 2012

Genesis + Poser: Now.... This what they call a "GAME CHANGER" !

Yippie!

How I use Poser with DS? After modeling my original figure and optimizing the mesh, I will first group and rig in Poser to ensure proper naming conventions and get the joint axis and weight maps started, then import into DS to build to the tri-axis maps and use DS4's decimation and FBX export capabilities to maximize my creations suitability for various rendering systems. I prefer E-On Vue's rendering engine for static work, Poser for close up animation and use I-Clone for quickie real-time animation real time animation renderings.

But my favorite activity with my 3D figure creations is to apply them to 3D HTML5 engines to make 3D interactive scenes for websites.

Note: DAZ also offers a game license option for their products that permit you to publish DAZ Original figures in 3D webpages or games, however its your responsibility to ensure that the original product (original quality and detailed mesh features) cannot be extracted or derived from the publication.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Poser 7 for me, but since the Importer was free, I got the Importer as well in case I decide to upgrade later. :)

Same here, I'm still using Poser 7. But I did get the importer. I'm hoping by the time I upgrade my Poser, they'll have all the bugs worked out of this new toy. ;

*come on now, you know there will be bugs, lol

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 359
    edited December 1969

It's nice to have the option, and while it doesn't change much for me at the moment (my Genesis content library is at present M5 and Luthbel's Highland Wildenlander) it will be something to watch going forward. I don't see Genesis replacing the Gen4 figures for me any time soon, but I can certainly see using Genesis particularly in niche situations--I don't find Genesis any better at being human than Gen4 but it certainly does monsters (like 3DU's troll) and toons (like 3DU's Sadie and Sam) nicely. :)

I haven't installed the DSON stuff yet. Anyone know if this brings in Genesis with proper subdivision, unlike the exporter?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Zaarin said:
    It's nice to have the option, and while it doesn't change much for me at the moment (my Genesis content library is at present M5 and Luthbel's Highland Wildenlander) it will be something to watch going forward. I don't see Genesis replacing the Gen4 figures for me any time soon, but I can certainly see using Genesis particularly in niche situations--I don't find Genesis any better at being human than Gen4 but it certainly does monsters (like 3DU's troll) and toons (like 3DU's Sadie and Sam) nicely. :)

I haven't installed the DSON stuff yet. Anyone know if this brings in Genesis with proper subdivision, unlike the exporter?

Aiko3 is still my primary figure so I can understand not wanting to get in to something you may not use. But if you do see use or purpose for it you know you can use it now in Poser.

According to this screen shot: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_installation_requirements/tutorials/dson_installation/poser.png - it supports subdivision

Screen shot is from here - http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_installation_requirements/tutorials/dson_installation/start

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    I use DAZ Studio and pretty much nothing else. Even so, I grabbed it as, hey, free ****. So if something happens that makes me use Poser, I am prepared!

Ditto'ng this, but especially "Welcome to the party!" The rifts in our little community caused by DAZ's latest'n'greatest not working in Poser have been especially unhappy-making, but now things are looking up! :cheese:
    edited December 1969

Amen!\

We each have our favorites for our own reasons which are all completely valid and this silly separatist/ my-app-is-better-than-your-app business is childish.

There is no "us and them". We are all 3d program users and part of a great community that helps one another.

Glad to see this happen. I hope this also means since a larger base of people will be creating more items for Genesis since more users will be ...errr... USING Genesis.

*smile*

Yep, this makes me a happy camper.

And welcome again to the party! :)

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

It's ace for me, I never wanted to go to all the trouble of getting and installing DS just to use it to export things. Doing it with DSON was a masterstroke. Gen 4 was, for me, starting to grow stale and I wanted a new set of toys. Thanks to DSON I've got them!

Daz got the ball rolling for me, and now it's in the back of the net!

PARTY ON!!!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Ahem.... ah-ha-ha-hem.... wootness.