Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• DemonslayerDemonslayer Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

Click on 'add to cart' it doesn't show up. Click again, you get this message: "The maximum quantity allowed for purchase is 1."

Is this a known issue?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969
  • edited December 1969

Be kind... this is my first full render that I've posted using Poser. I revisited my first PA product updated to Genesis, Axel M5 with some IDL and found one of those Poser logos to put on it too! It came out a bit dark, so I had to brighten it up in Photoshop. Also figured out how to create a DSON scene subset with Bluebird3D's "A Bright Loft" (which is DS only) and imported that into Poser as well.

Nice render! I'd like to see somebody try that after running the EZSkin script.
    BTW, for the Bright Loft set, did you have to adjust the bump and/or displacement for Poser, or did it look right as it was?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    edited December 1969

Click on 'add to cart' it doesn't show up. Click again, you get this message: "The maximum quantity allowed for purchase is 1."

Is this a known issue?

Log out and then back in, it should show up in the cart then. It did for me.

• TimoteoTimoteo Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

If your Poser Runtime is in Program files, which is not writable and not where Microsoft recommends putting data, it won't work.

If you look at my original post you can see it does not point to Program Files but rather "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\"

I put almost nothing in Program Files ... ever.

What is the name of the.dll is it trying to load at startup? I see three in my "addons\dson" directory:

boost_python-vc100-mt-1_50.dll
    DzDSONIO.dll
    QtCore4.dll

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2012

Is this a known issue?

Make sure you are logged in, then add another different item to the cart. Once the cart shows that there is something in it, remove the item you don't need.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

this is the error it gives me....

:O

Untitled-1.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 203K
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Is this a known issue?

Add something else to your cart, then your cart should show up right. Then go in and delete from your cart what you added.

-- Morgan

p.s. This is awesome! Now I'm kicking myself for not picking up Poser 9 when it was on heavy discount a few months ago...

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

timoteo said:
    Just realized ...

This means all of 3DUniverse's recent offering that were (aggravatingly) Genesis only, will work with Poser, correct? Yeee-haaa! Now if I could just get it to work.

Those that are in the 4.5/DSON format will work in Poser without conversion. Those that are Morphs for Genesis will, already, and don't need conversion. Those that were done in DS 4.0 will need to be converted, though you can do it yourself. :)
  • KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited October 2012

timoteo said:

64bit should be just fine. :) It is what I have been using for the past 2 weeks for testing and conversion. Did you install all 3 installers? (If you answered, sorry....I am trying to keep up here. LOL)

LOL, no problem ... yes, this thread has entered "Crazy Tier 7" status. ;) But yes, I did ... as I said, I installed the Importer, than Genesis Essent., then Genesis Essent. for Poser. I see the Python (a.py, a .pyc, a .dll, a .pyd, and two more .dll's) in the Runtime>Python>addons>dson directory.

As DAZ_Spooky mentioned, writing to the Program Directory in Win 7 can cause issues and may not allow you to "write" to the directory. Are both Essential installers in this directory or did you install them into a separate directory?

Kat

Post edited by Katherine on
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:

Your image is showing a 64 bit Poser and a 32 bit error. Uninstall the DSON Importer, and make sure you frab the 64 bit installer for it and install that. :)

Kat

edited December 1969

timoteo said:
    Isikol said:
    it gives me an error while running the script...its says

but im on a 64bit machine with latest sr3 poser pro 2012 and i installed the 64 bit version!!!

what is going on?

Same exact thing here for me and another user. I'm starting to suspect that perhaps the 64-bit version is not ready for primetime perhaps.

-Tim

If your Poser Runtime is in Program files, which is not writable and not where Microsoft recommends putting data, it won't work.

every script i ever putted there was working!

i gave it write permissions but still have the problem...

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,756
    edited December 1969

So... I guess the next questions that has to be asked are:

How well does Genesis work with hair and cloth rooms?

edited October 2012

Isikol said:

Your image is showing a 64 bit Poser and a 32 bit error. Uninstall the DSON Importer, and make sure you frab the 64 bit installer for it and install that. :)

Kat

come on cat!!!! i already told you i installed the 64bit version!!!!!!!!

is there a way you mixed up the versions????

Post edited by ISIKOL on
    edited December 1969

timoteo said:

If you look at my original post you can see it does not point to Program Files but rather "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\"

I put almost nothing in Program Files ... ever.

What is the name of the.dll is it trying to load at startup? I see three in my "addons\dson" directory:

boost_python-vc100-mt-1_50.dll
    DzDSONIO.dll
    QtCore4.dll

Ok, and....hate to push, but you are sure you don't have the 32bit DSON Importer installer instead of the 64bit? You have installed SR3, etc.... I know I am re-asking, but you'd be amazed at how many time we saw that here and with testers. It does get confusing..... I have done it myself. :)

Kat

• MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466
    edited December 1969

I knew it... people need to learn patience - Daz will always do... what needs to get done, one way... or the other. Might not happen when some of us desire it, because of red tape and all the other business rigamerole - but I knew it was going to happen.

I've downloaded it as well - can't wait to give it a try!

Well done Daz3d... heh-heh - oh the things I'd love to say, but I won't... but I'm smiling, oh yes I am.

:)

• Dream9StudiosDream9Studios Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    I will be working on updating my files
    Unfortunately I dont have a new enough version of poser to see how this all works yet.
    But I should be able to find a way to do conversions regardless.
    It may take a while...so be patient with me.....I have ALOT of genesis stuff

If I had the money I'd buy you a new copy of Poser just so I could get my hands on the conversions faster! :D You do have a lot of Genesis stuff and I can hardly wait to try it all out. As soon as everything downloads (got one more DSON file but things are slowing down), I'm going to try to convert EleBeast myself and see what happens.

edited December 1969

So... I guess the next questions that has to be asked are:

How well does Genesis work with hair and cloth rooms?

Cloth works. For best results collide with the sub-D bone, not the rest of the figure.

Hair is an issue because the geometry is Catmull-Clark Subdivided (Yes we shoehorned Catmull-Clark Sub-D into the importer), so the geometry you are applying the hair to is not the geometry that the hair is dealing with. :) )

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

I am truly delighted for Poser users. I am just slightly put out that Poser users get a fully working version before Carrara users, given that Carrara is a Daz product and has been in development Beta for well over a year. Still I'm sure we'll get there...soon...

edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    Isikol said:

Kat

come on cat!!!! i already told you i installed the 64bit version!!!!!!!!

is there a way you mixed up the versions????

All I can do is go by the screenshot which is giving a 32bit error. :) And ya....I have done it myself. LOL Looked RIGHT at the 64bit and installed 32. So, that's why I double-check when trying to troubleshoot. I can't see your PC so can only see the pic you sent. :)

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I am truly delighted for Poser users. I am just slightly put out that Poser users get a fully working version before Carrara users, given that Carrara is a Daz product and has been in development Beta for well over a year. Still I'm sure we'll get there...soon...
    You know those DSON Compatible products? That means that the files have been converted from DSA to DSON (DUF) Carrara 8.5 reads those. :) This work is not just for Poser users but Carrara users as well.
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,747
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Unfortunately I dont have a new enough version of poser to see how this all works yet.

If I had the money I'd buy you a new copy of Poser just so I could get my hands on the conversions faster! :D You do have a lot of Genesis stuff and I can hardly wait to try it all out. As soon as everything downloads (got one more DSON file but things are slowing down), I'm going to try to convert EleBeast myself and see what happens.

Please let me know how it goes.
    I know the textures may be off since they use d/s SSS...and poser probably wont handle that.

I am so curious...damn I wish i could run it.

• ExGeminiExGemini Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

All I can do is go by the screenshot which is giving a 32bit error. :) And ya....I have done it myself. LOL Looked RIGHT at the 64bit and installed 32. So, that's why I double-check when trying to troubleshoot. I can't see your PC so can only see the pic you sent. :)

What about the "An errror occurred importing addon dson :" error?

Followed by
    An errror occurred importing addon dson :
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "D:\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    File "C:\PoserPro\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 3, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe8 in position 37: invalid continuation byte

When you try to load genesis from the library?

edited December 1969

Kat im telling you the truth here...i downloaded only the 64 bit version...i doubled and trippled checked...

and im asking you again...is there a way that you accidentally uploaded a 32bit and named it 64bit?
    does everyone gets the same files?

see?

Untitled-3.jpg
    820 x 176 - 45K
  • adaceyadacey Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

This is awesome news, I've been loving using Genesis to the point where I'm very reluctant to buy gen4 content now (granted, I'm new to the scene so Genesis was out when I got started). I love the way it works and every time I do go back to gen4 stuff it just feels so much clunkier.

I'm only a DS user right now but there's so much great Poser content out there that's more geared toward it, or is poser-only, so it's been a bit tempting to sway but I wasn't going to do it if I couldn't take my Genesis stuff with me. Now I'm thinking of giving it a try and like that I should now be able to flip between the 2 as needed.

What I'm really looking forward to is if this helps push more of the other sites/vendors to make more great Genesis content. There's already a bit over on renderosity but you can tell it's in the minority, I'd love to see some of the other sties getting onto the Genesis bandwagon, and now that Poser can pull the content in I'm hoping that'll happen.

• Dream9StudiosDream9Studios Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    RawArt said:

Please let me know how it goes.
    I know the textures may be off since they use d/s SSS...and poser probably wont handle that.

I am so curious...damn I wish i could run it.

Poser has its own SSS which I'm quite familiar with. It's just a matter of time! Once I get it working I'll PM you here or at deviantART with a render. :)

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited October 2012

Be kind... this is my first full render that I've posted using Poser. I revisited my first PA product updated to Genesis, Axel M5 with some IDL and found one of those Poser logos to put on it too! It came out a bit dark, so I had to brighten it up in Photoshop. Also figured out how to create a DSON scene subset with Bluebird3D's "A Bright Loft" (which is DS only) and imported that into Poser as well.

Nice render! I'd like to see somebody try that after running the EZSkin script.

I used the EzSkin script but adjusted the settings so I wouldn't get that horrible wax or blown out SSS that's not natural. This gives it a more subdued natural look which you actually want with this character.

BTW, for the Bright Loft set, did you have to adjust the bump and/or displacement for Poser, or did it look right as it was?

It looked fine for this setting.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

Aww! Genesis's proportions controls like shoulders width don't work. Well, they do work, but Poser deforms the figure even in default pose, and more on bending.

Which isn't DAZ's fault, as Poser obviously still isn't handling scaling to separate body parts right (and was the main reason why I moved from Poser to DS in 2006). I thought SR3 was finally supposed to have fixed Poser's body part scaling problems.>:(

• griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

Okay this is getting a wee bit tiring, I keep getting errored out when I try to post or load things. Or even pull up the web pages here.

DAZ_Spooky you said that morphs for genesis will already work. What I want to know is...

Does that mean that this: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=94447 and this http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=89123 will work without having to be converted to the DSON format?

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    Aww! Genesis's proportions controls like shoulders width don't work. Well, they do work, but Poser deforms the figure even in default pose, and more on bending.

Which isn't DAZ's fault, as Poser obviously still isn't handling scaling to separate body parts right (and was the main reason why I moved from Poser to DS in 2006). I thought SR3 was finally supposed to have fixed Poser's body part scaling problems.>:(

I just tried one of my Ashley characters (one of the young adult shapes) and he's a disaster right now :(.

This discussion has been closed.