New to DAZ... Victoria 4 or Victoria 5?

sJordan723sJordan723 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I just found DAZ and would like to purchase some content. Victoria 5 is the latest but Victoria 4 has more content and so forth. Will that content work for 5, such as hair and clothing? I'm still a little confused on the whole "gene-pool" thing. Just would like one good character to begin. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,674
    edited October 2012

Yes, to an extent - hair and clothes can be converted from Victoria 4 to Genesis (and so Victoria 5) using AutoFit, included with DAZ Studio, but some things work better than others (shoes are generally the worst). Skin textures for V4 will work on Genesis, morphs won't without buying the GenX plugin to convert them.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • sJordan723sJordan723 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm still not sure which is better to purchase first... V4 or V5?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,674
    edited December 1969

Of course as a DAZ rep I should say "both!" but I have to ask - do you need either? All the Victoria 5 products, except skin textures and morphs that use the V5 morphs, will work on Genesis and the V4 items will work on Genesis as in my earlier reply, so the question becomes what extra features do you want?

edited December 1969

Mostly different hair and clothing. And you are saying V4 or V5 hair and clothing will work with just Genesis?

What if I need different skin textures... like an African American person?

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

He's saying V4's clothing and hair will work with V5. Most, not all. Some minor adjustments might be needed. :) V4 shoes will crumble on V5, though.

Also, if you go to Rendrosity and type in "Genesis" in the search engine, you'll find lots more clothing options too.

Here's some African American morphs that can be used with Genesis and V5. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ethnicity-for-genesis-african

Here's one for V4. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v4-elite-texture-marie/

It also depends on what kind of thing you want to go for with V4 or V5. If you want to have just one or two different characters, then V4 is the way to go. But if you want many characters with many different morph options, then I'd go for V5. V5 (and Genesis in general) have far more realistic limb bending and are weight mapped while V4 doesn't have that realistic limb bending and she isn't weight mapped (not in Daz Studio anyway).

Hope this helps. :)

edited December 1969

Okay, thanks Knight, I appreciate your input. So just to get through my thick head...

Will V4 or V5 stuff work with just Genesis?

Will V5 stuff work on V4?

I'm just trying to get a better grasp of Genesis and "Legacy" people... know what I mean?

edited December 1969

For example... will November Hair for V4 work with just Genesis? I would assume you need to have V4 like the name implies, no?

edited October 2012

jordan6 said:
    Okay, thanks Knight, I appreciate your input. So just to get through my thick head...

Not a problem, I do the same thing. Better safe than sorry. ;)

Will V4 or V5 stuff work with just Genesis?

Most of V4's stuff will work for Genesis/V5, yes. V4's shoes will crumble, though, if you try to fit them to V5/Genesis. So be aware of that. There are also a few things here and there that just won't look very good. In general, yes. Most stuff will fit.

V5 comes from Genesis so you'll have very, very few problems with fitting morphs as she is far more compatable with Genesis than V4.

Will V5 stuff work on V4?

Regular V4? No. I'm sure it's probably possible, but you'd have to go through a lot of headaches just to make V5 stuff work for V4. So...answer is no.

However, if you were to get the V4 Iconic shape for Genesis, then the answer is yes.

I'm just trying to get a better grasp of Genesis and "Legacy" people... know what I mean?

I do. :)

Post edited by Knight22179 on
    edited October 2012

jordan6 said:
    For example... will November Hair for V4 work with just Genesis? I would assume you need to have V4 like the name implies, no?

With some minor adjustments, yes, it will work with Genesis. But only if your willing to play with it. :)

You don't need V4 for the hair to work but it optimized to work best with V4

edited October 2012

That answer your questions? :)

edited December 1969

I think so, I think so. Thanks so much! Gets confusing!

I would just hate to spend money (even 1.99) and find out I bought the wrong thing.

edited December 1969

Your welcome. I know what you mean. ;)

Good luck and welcome to Daz3D. :)