what about, making new geometry for nice texture sets?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited December 1969 in The Commons

is it a silly idea?

sets like 'The Boudoir' and 'Venetian Room' come with really nice textures.
and some of the RH sets, like the Stateroom.
and the mfd textures.
the chalet and jardin textures.

the easter egg textures are for the dinosaur egg, those textures would make nice throw pillows.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

Not sure what you mean? Geometry is mesh.

Do you mean using one texture on another model (for personal use)? If so, then it is possible granted the UV mapping allows for it and the textures line up the same. Works best with tileable textures.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i mean making brand new geometry to be able to use an existing texture. instead of add-on texture set, it would be add-on geometry set!

like, a new room for 'the boudoir' or a new blouse to go with the top of an mfd texture.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2012

It's a bit harder, because the textures are based on the UV maps which are directly from the original geometry.

Leaving out the whole can of worms that the mesh copyright issues would open up, getting two differing geometries to use the same UV map, when working backwards from the map, would be something that, in my wildest bouts of insanity, that I would NOTwant to attempt. The Twelve Tasks of Hercules sound a bit less daunting.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited October 2012

well, it's not hard to make something like a plane or a unflateable cube match the dimensions of a jpg.

a blouse would be more work.

so, if someone wanted to make like a sorcerer robe for M4 that would be able to share like the Zendal texture set for the sorceress robe, the sorcerer robe would be a violation cuz its uv template covers the same area of the jpg used by the sorceress robe?
    i hadn't thought of it that way.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

well, it's not hard to make something like a plane or a unflateable cube match the dimensions of a jpg.

so, if someone wanted to make like a sorcerer robe for M4 that would be able to share like the Zendal texture set for the sorceress robe, the sorcerer robe would be a violation cuz its uv template covers the same area of the jpg used by the sorceress robe?
    i hadn't thought of it that way.

What the violation would be is using the copyrighted textures to texture the new geometry unless the creator of the textures made the new geometry or allowed their use on the new geometry.

With addon textures it's easy since creating a new texture that matches the same size and UV mapping of the original texture is easy and not a violation

edited December 1969

another idea shot down. i'm a loser.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

another idea shot down. i'm a loser.

Don't feel bad. I've actually tried to make freebie gowns or robes to fit the MFD UV before. I found it overly difficult so I gave it up.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, this translates to "left as an exercise for the reader". It looks like it ought to be only slightly less straightforward than the more usual making a new texture for an existing mesh, but the process really only goes one way. Quite apart from the probable copyright showstopper, comparisons can be made to putting toothpaste back in the tube, or unscrambling an egg.
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, this translates to "left as an exercise for the reader". It looks like it ought to be only slightly less straightforward than the more usual making a new texture for an existing mesh, but the process really only goes one way. Quite apart from the probable copyright showstopper, comparisons can be made to putting toothpaste back in the tube, or unscrambling an egg.

Depending on the complexity of the given UV it may not be as bad as that. In Blender at least you can unwrap onto a .jpg background of the desired template or texture and adjust using proportional edit to more or less match it. Now, matching up exact seam areas, that was what killed it for me.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Depending on the complexity of the given UV it may not be as bad as that. In Blender at least you can unwrap onto a .jpg background of the desired template or texture and adjust using proportional edit to more or less match it. Now, matching up exact seam areas, that was what killed it for me.

That's part of what I was talking about...totally insane when it comes to matching.

But the real killer would be building an item in such a way and to have ironclad proof that the original obj was not used in any way. Sure, I can take and shrinkwrap an item and probably reuse the UV, and even do it in a way that none of the faces actually match, point for point, the original. Then I could build it by hand, even different, but what's to say, at the end of the day that both items weren't somehow 'cloned' from the original.

It's not that it can't be done...it's that the work and proof involved is way more than any benefit of doing it.

Yeah, this wouldn't fly as something to do for a redistributable item, but it would be easier to cut and paste the texture map to fit a new item than it would be making new geometry for an existing texture.