VIrus attached to a file from DAZ?

texjonestexjones Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hey, I just bought and tried to download the DavidBB, file the first part my Norton keeps saying there is a virus attached to it WSreputation1. Is this correct? I've tried three times and Norton keeps blocking it and removing.

Comments

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited October 2012

Nope it's not a virus, it's Norton saying that as the file isn't a very popular download within the Norton community it might be a suspicious file, so they treat it like a virus and delete it for you so that your computer won't be infected just in case.

The file will be in the Norton Quarantine and can be restored and ignored in future

Right click on the norton tool bar icon, click advance > quarantine > choose the DavidBB file from the list > click on 'More Info' > and choose restore file and ignore in future / or add to list and ignore from future scans - depending which version of Norton you have

Post edited by adzan on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

adzan said:
    Nope it's not a virus, it's Norton saying that as the file isn't a very popular download within the Norton community it might be a suspicious file, so they treat it like a virus and delete it for you so that your computer won't be infected just in case.

The file will be in the Norton Quarantine and can be restored and ignored in future

Right click on the norton tool bar icon, click advance > quarantine > choose the DavidBB file from the list > click on 'More Info' > and choose restore file and ignore in future / or add to list and ignore from future scans - depending which version of Norton you have

or you could get this -
    http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

and get rid of norton

• texjonestexjones Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you I got it out of Norton. And installed.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,736
    edited December 1969

AVG has had fits of giving false positives, as I recall. It's a good diea in genreal to use an on-demand scanner to check files that have been flagged as suspicious - I'm sure the DAZ installers are safe, but as a general habit it's wise; I use MalWareBytes usually.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

There is no AV that is immune to false positives. It's just how they handle the file in question that separates the good AVs from the mediocre. In cases like this, where the files are paid for items from a legitimate company and their own servers, the chance of it being a false positive is very high. Like Richard said, a second opinion with an on demand, as opposed to a resident scanner is best.

MalwareBytes is a good one. Another, is ClamAV...over at portableapss.com there is a version of it to stick on a USB memory stick/pen drive. And you run it from there, when you need it.

But ANY antivirus is only as good as its update schedule...without the most recent updates, you may as well no even bother with one.