OT - scary shoes!

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited December 1969 in The Commons

And an alert to anybody that models these, we are going to want poses! :-)

Award winning scary shoes

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2012

Just who, in anything that passes for the remotest glimmer of sanity, would give an award for something that idiotic?

Art?

Design?

BULL!!!!

Some joker just got toked up and said, "Hey, dude, I bet I can get some moron to give me money for these..."

Not going to comment on that E-lax walk she's got going on there.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Nominated for a design award - am certain I saw a headline for winning but ? where that went. Anyhow the artist is "making a statement". And she's made more than one pair of shoes ... expectations/hopes of some are that they may be making an appearance in a Lady Gaga musical.

• edited December 1969

I've said it before, and I say it again: Fashion is a joke.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited October 2012

And an alert to anybody that models these, we are going to want poses! :-)

Award winning scary shoes

No exactly McQueen's in the last photos, but it is not far. It was for V3 and it had poses too.

exotic2.jpg
    225 x 225 - 10K
    exotic.jpg
    160 x 160 - 4K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,172
    edited December 1969

hecate61 said:

No no! Fashion is a scam.

edited December 1969

Well I don't know what they take to make such things, but it should be banned.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

Steve Martin - "The Cruel Shoes" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feTrJSWnqdk). 'Nuff said...

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

nah, they can't be REAL shoes. Had to be an "art" design for a gallery showing or something like that. No way in hell would they mass produce those for sale in a shoe store.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

hecate61 said:

No no! Fashion is a scam.

No, no!
    "From the artistic point of view, it is usually a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. From the point of view of science, it not unfrequently violates every law of health, every principle of hygiene. While from the point of view of simple ease and comfort it is not too much to say that, with [a handful of exceptions], there is not a single form of really fashionable dress that can be worn without a certain amount of absolute misery to the wearer."
    -Oscar Wilde

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited October 2012

I wonder if anybody noticed that shoes supposed to "serve as a commentary on today's impossible standards of beauty."
    From reading the article, I got a feeling that designers didn't do it for a money (it was a grad thesis project), or for the art sake but to vent frustration of the designer on a fashion industry, which makes normal people feel inadequate because they can't or don't wish to conform to standards of fashion/beauty, which are often either too high or too absurd or both. In that role I'm finding those shoes actually to be perfect. A lot of normal people, among which are impressionable teenage girls, will feel inadequate even if they are perfectly normal/healthy/beautiful in non-mainstream way, even in case if standards of fashion/beauty may become something like that sort of harmful, absurd way of walking; some will mutilate themselves just to be "beautiful" but even on those who won't it may leave a serious impression that they are, in some way, "ugly"

That this design got an award is either deeply ironic (to give a fashion reward to the design that is, basically, anti-fashion) or deeply disturbing (as it was nothing more creative to award). The fact that "The jury applauds the way aesthetics, ergonomics and prosthesis merge into an awkward choreography" looks for me like either they completely missed the point the author was trying to make, or they deliberately ignored it.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited October 2012

jakiblue said:
    nah, they can't be REAL shoes. Had to be an "art" design for a gallery showing or something like that. No way in hell would they mass produce those for sale in a shoe store.

No they wouldn't be for a shoe store ... would be way too many lawsuits!

Post edited by patience55 on