Pw Plugin Problems

Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195

Doesn't matter which one I use. PwEffect, PwSurface2, PwGhost, etc...I always get the same error message upon rendering.

3Delight Message #45 (Severity1): S2072: Program Files...

Can't read the rest of it, the message cuts off. A few of the default presets won't work. Most will even though I still get the error message, but a few won't.

Why am I getting this message?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,816
    edited December 1969

The rest of the text will be in the log file (Help>Troubleshooting>View log) or in the progress bar if you click the Show more button. But if they are working it will just be telling you that they were written for an older version of 3delight and for best performance should be recompiled for the current version - it's information, not a serious problem.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

It continues mentioning the shader uses a different interface version and that conversion has been successful. It also mentions that recompilation is auggested to improve performance.

What it means, I think, is that the .sdl for the shader is down-version from the version of 3Delight, but nothing bad will happen.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

I think it gives me a similar (or the same) message whilst rendering. How should I recompile it?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    It continues mentioning the shader uses a different interface version and that conversion has been successful. It also mentions that recompilation is auggested to improve performance.

What it means, I think, is that the .sdl for the shader is down-version from the version of 3Delight, but nothing bad will happen.

That's exactly what it means...

I think it gives me a similar (or the same) message whilst rendering. How should I recompile it?

To recompile, if you are on Windows, it's easy. Find the folder with the .sdl files and then open a command prompt and run shaderdl.exe --recompile-sdl *.sdl

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

To recompile, if you are on Windows, it's easy. Find the folder with the .sdl files and then open a command prompt and run shaderdl.exe --recompile-sdl *.sdl

Ok found out how to Open a Command Prompt window by holding down Shift and Right Click but do we select the folder that the SDL's reside in or each SDL?

edited December 1969

The sahders are recompiled on the fly - without the source code that's the only option.

edited December 1969

On the fly?

MuscaDomestica.jpg
    500 x 500 - 29K
    edited December 1969

The sahders are recompiled on the fly - without the source code that's the only option.

No, the --recompile-sdl option will PERMANENTLY recompile the shader, not 'on the fly' but actually write it to disk. Overwriting the original, if there is no other shader folder set in the 3delight.ini (which DS doesn't use).

` --recompile-sdl'
    When backward compatibility is broken, providing the `.sdl' was compiled with the `--embed-source' option, it is recompiled each time a render requires it, therefore slowing down the rendering process. This option makes the shader accept `.sdl' files, recompiles them (provided it contains its own source code) and replaces them. If a path is specified instead, all `.sdl' in it are affected. Only byte-code shaders may be updated with this option.

-d '
    Specifies the destination directory for compiled shaders. The default is the current working directory.

http://www.3delight.com/en/uploads/docs/3delight/3delight_11.html

Simple/basic shaders with common options don't absolutely NEED to have the '--embed-source' option set. If for some reason, it can't recompile a shader, it will throw an error message and do nothing to it, leaving the original alone.

And yes, it can shave time off a render.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    mjc1016 said:

Ok found out how to Open a Command Prompt window by holding down Shift and Right Click but do we select the folder that the SDL's reside in or each SDL?

If shaderdl is not in the execution path then it can be found in the bin sub-directory of where the DAZStudio.exe binary resides. To find the .sdl the full path is quoted in the error message - for pwGhost for example (as that is th eone I have on my screen at the moment) it's in teh shaders sub-dir under the DAZStudio.exe install location.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

No, the --recompile-sdl option will PERMANENTLY recompile the shader, not 'on the fly' but actually write it to disk. Overwriting the original, if there is no other shader folder set in the 3delight.ini (which DS doesn't use).

True, but I meant the net result is the same - though without having to wait for the recompile each time, I suppose. It isn't, so far as I know, a substitute for getting a new version of the shaders prepared specifically for the new version of 3delight.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

True, but I meant the net result is the same - though without having to wait for the recompile each time, I suppose. It isn't, so far as I know, a substitute for getting a new version of the shaders prepared specifically for the new version of 3delight.

When I compile my shaders, I usually use the --embed-source option, so yeah, it actually is getting the same thing (slightly bigger file size, but not too much bigger). On a fairly simple shader, with 'standard' code...it doesn't even need that. Complex shaders, with special functions, big include files and so on, yeah, they'll NEED the source embedded to even attempt a recompile.

Most of the DS shaders fall in the 'not too complex' category.

edited December 1969

OK, I'll try to remember that in future (which may be asking a bit much).

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Szark said:
    mjc1016 said:

If shaderdl is not in the execution path then it can be found in the bin sub-directory of where the DAZStudio.exe binary resides. To find the .sdl the full path is quoted in the error message - for pwGhost for example (as that is th eone I have on my screen at the moment) it's in teh shaders sub-dir under the DAZStudio.exe install location.I appreciate your trying to help Simon but act like your are speaking to a real dumnie when it comes to dos and command promts..ok don't act. :)

Maybe I shouldn't be doing this at my level of computer knowledge.

Yeah, cheers I found the shaderdl in the Bin folder nicely. But I still haven't a clue on actually what to do to recompile these shaders.

edited December 1969

OK...look in the log file for one of those shader warnings. That's where you'll find the items that need to be recompiled.

Then in Windows Explorer, navigate to that folder.

Once you are in that folder, over on the Start Menu type cmd into the Search box and hit 'Enter'. That will bring up a window with a black background and white text. It should be starting in the folder you are in. Then in that window, at the blinking cursor, type in shaderdl.exe --recompile-sdl *.sdl. That will run on all the sdl files in that folder. Repeat for every different folder with the warning message you find.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    OK...look in the log file for one of those shader warnings. That's where you'll find the items that need to be recompiled.

Once you are in that folder, over on the Start Menu type cmd into the Search box and hit 'Enter'. That will bring up a window with a black background and white text. It should be starting in the folder you are in. Then in that window, at the blinking cursor, type in shaderdl.exe --recompile-sdl *.sdl. That will run on all the sdl files in that folder. Repeat for every different folder with the warning message you find.

Cool! Even I understand it now! Thank you!!!!

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Hey, thanks!

It looks like doing this solved my problems when I applied certain shaders; I had a "crash and stuck" situation now and then, but after I did this recompiling thing, they've been behaving nicely!

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

And that is the bit that confuses me ... I thought these shaders (the pw ones) had been updated for DS4.5.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

LOL Thanks mjc even that didn't work as I get the following
    C:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio 4\shaders>shaderdl.exe-recompile-sdl *.sdl
    'shaderdl.exe-recompile-sdl' is not recognized as an internal or external comman
    d,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio 4\shaders>

I am assuming I need to enter the sld's name were you put the astrix

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Szark, just copy and paste the Shaderdl.exe to the Shader folder and run it. I did that and it worked for me

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Szark, just copy and paste the Shaderdl.exe to the Shader folder and run it. I did that and it worked for me
    That was easier cheers.
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    LOL Thanks mjc even that didn't work as I get the following
    C:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio 4\shaders>shaderdl.exe-recompile-sdl *.sdl
    'shaderdl.exe-recompile-sdl' is not recognized as an internal or external comman
    d,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio 4\shaders>

I am assuming I need to enter the sld's name were you put the astrix

Ok, with those paths displayed, try this:

C:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio 4\shaders>..\bin\shaderdl.exe -recompile-sdl *.sdl

Note the space between the .exe and -recompile
    edited December 1969

I do appreciate the help but no matter what I try I can't get anything to recomplile. I think I will leave it until the vendors and Daz£D get them all undated once and for all.

The steps shown is ok if you have some understanding on what to do but for me I am now totally confused.

Again thanks for trying.

edited October 2012

SimonJM said:
    mjc1016 said:

And that is the bit that confuses me ... I thought these shaders (the pw ones) had been updated for DS4.5.

The update was so that they would recompile - before that they wouldn't. Updating them to 3DL 10 native would have stopped them from working in the version included in DS4.0.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited October 2012

Szark...it is two separate dashes (minus sign, twice) between the shaderdl.exe and the recompile-sdl bit...

SimonJM said:
    mjc1016 said:

That was to get them to work originally...in the beta there was another update to the 3Delight core...so they may need it again (and from the info message being seen so often, that's a given).

I did run a test render on my glass shader, before the recompile with it being recompiled on the fly it was taking about 15 minutes to render a scene. After the recompile, it dropped to 12. But it wasn't a completely fair test...I did include the -O3 flag on the recompile (not from source, I'll have to do that later), so some of the speed increase could have come from the higher level of optimization.

Adding the higher level of optimization to other shaders isn't really recommended, because it's hard to tell what exactly may happen and without a fallback it's not worth the risk.

One of the other tests for timing was to render to a RIB and then recompile all the shaders in the RIB folder...it took about a minute to do that, so you can figure about a minute of the time spent rendering/waiting for the render to start was 3Delight running the 'on the fly' recompile of the shaders...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited October 2012

mjc1016 said:
    Szark...it is two separate dashes (minus sign, twice) between the shaderdl.exe and the recompile-sdl bit...
    To be honest mjc that is not my problem. With all the different bits of info in this thread and me trying different ways to get the job down I find I need step by step instructions. So without burdening anyone for the "Recompliing for complete dummies" book, I can wait until the are done for me. :) Again thanks for your patience and trying to help.
    Post edited by Szark on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited October 2012

Oh boy. I'm not getting an error message because the shaders don't seem to be even applying.

I am using DS pro 4.5.0.114.

My pwShaders worked, kind of (pwCatch didn't work PROPERLY) in DS4 but no longer seem to have any effect. No shader is applying. And yes, I am selecting the object and the surface of the object, and applying shaders-other shaders work but not the pw shaders. They render very fast but with no effect at all.

I have redownloaded the pwShaders and reinstalled the Daz 4 versions, but without any change.

Utterly stumped, i can't even find a folder to go compile even if I had a clue what I was doing!!
    And honestly I'm with Szaark, I can't make head or tails of these instructions. :(

I'm bummed that these were apparently updated but aren't working for some reason.... arg.

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
    edited December 1969

Make sure you are using latest version of DS4.5 (4.5.1.6) and latest version (I think that is 1.2) of the pw shaders. Those should work togther 'out of the box' albeit most likely with the error/informationl amessage about needing recompiling for best performance.
    Once we get you with working shaders we can take the next step into getiing them recompiled.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

I'm having PW plugin problems of a different sort-

In the Content Lib. for pwSurface there are files labeled as mat along side the shaders. Many of these and some of the shaders have associated jpgs that can't be found. ValSilver7 is one that's missing and is used in the quicksilver.dsb shader.

Additional research showed that there were mat/texture/jpgs available for another version of pwSurface. These jpgs (also used in other products) must have been removed but their png & ds files are still in the content library.

Does anyone know where all these missing jpgs can be found? if not I guess the solution would be to delete the associated files (the ones that have have missing images & no effect on final render) so they don't show up in the library.

Thanks. This product does some cool stuph!

Screen_shot_2012-12-14_at_1.38_.22_PM_.png
    502 x 262 - 113K
    edited December 1969

They are textures from other products, as examples of using images with the shaders. They aren't meant to be included with the shaders, my recollection is that the readme did explain this though it may have been lost to an update.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

They are textures from other products, as examples of using images with the shaders. They aren't meant to be included with the shaders, my recollection is that the readme did explain this though it may have been lost to an update.

Thanks for responding quickly. I didn't see a note about this in the readme so yeah- maybe it fell out somewhere.
    I'm good to go- plenty of shaders to explore.