Problems modelling a stone with primitives

tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

OK - i've spent a day trying to model a stone with primitives.
With failures.

I've had crashes trying to add tessalations and crashes trying to add points - getting fed up with crashes....

However... I've created an illustration below.

I'm trying to model the stone with the arrow pointint go it...
The cube is OK but too sharp.
I added smoothing - level 1 but the edges are too round and I cannot straighten them out to make the suface more rugged. highlighted by the red marks.
I tried another primitive but when I add tessalations to it to divide it up the program crashes.

So please someone can you explain how I can model a stone likt the real thing.

Thanks

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Something like this?

Insert sphere, select one of the geodesic options, bring the number of points down quite low - in this case I made it four. Validate.

Select faces or verts, with soft selection active and push/pull until you get the shape you want. For jagged, don't smooth. for smooth, select level 1 and once you are happy with the shape, collapse DG by hitting the lightning bolt.

If you intend making the entire wall from individual rocks, you are going to end up with a seriously high poly count - better to model the the general shape of the wall and use a texture with bump or normal mapping to get the detail.

rock.jpg
    800 x 600 - 66K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    If you intend making the entire wall from individual rocks, you are going to end up with a seriously high poly count - better to model the the general shape of the wall and use a texture with bump or normal mapping to get the detail.

And that's leaving out lining them all up so they are touching without leaving odd looking gaps, not sticking out at odd angles and not intersecting each other (can cause some very odd render problems) and probably a rather long list of other problems.

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

more fun to use the sculpting tools when making rocks. ;-)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hi Ghostman - long time:)

Yes indeed - the OP being a beginner, I thought to keep it simple.

Cheers