What is the new Linear Point light..?

fruitwortfruitwort Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

.. and how do you use it?

Any instructions anywhere?

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited June 2012

This might help http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/lighting/videos/lighting_editor/start

Basically it is just like a point light but you can adjust falloff and spread without adjusting the light intensity, where as the old Point light's spread of light is dictated by the light intensity.

Post edited by Szark on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

A realistic light's intensity falls off as the square of the distance (if the distance from the light doubles, the intensity falls to a quarter, triples and it falls to a ninth). The linear light fades as the distance (so at double the distance the intensity falls to a half, at triple it falls to a third). And as noted you can actually set the distances at which the fade starts and completes. That makes linear lights totally unrealistic, but much better at lighting a scene - using the option to set the end distance also avoids calculating shadows when they will have no visible effect, which greatly speeds rendering in scenes with a lot of transparent and trans-mapped surfaces.

• fruitwortfruitwort Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for your help.

Unfortunately, 2 minutes of any tutorial video and my eyes start to cross! He is undoubtedly a very clever fellow but could he please slow down a bit (actually, no, a lot!) and wouldn't it be lovely if I could read what he's pointing at!

I really do need this in writing so that I can study it at my own leisure ... and speed.

And whilst I'm having a moan, why can't I see what has gone before when I am writing my reply? No, scrub that. I've just seen what THREAD REVIEW is all about.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

With the exception of the image map support (aka gel lighting) Linear Point Lights work just like Uber Point Lights. I wrote a tutorial on Uber Point Lights that you can find on the old forums here -> http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=160239

edited December 1969

fruitwort said:

I really do need this in writing so that I can study it at my own leisure ... and speed.

Yes that is my fault as I haven't completed the Text transcript yet. I will post here when it is done and i WILL try to get it finsihed as quick as I can. I have had a lot of life issues I have had to deal with over the last 4 months hence why this hasn't been done before now.
  • Erwin0265Erwin0265 Posts: 63
    Szark said:
    Yes that is my fault as I haven't completed the Text transcript yet. I will post here when it is done and i WILL try to get it finsihed as quick as I can. I have had a lot of life issues I have had to deal with over the last 4 months hence why this hasn't been done before now

And 4 years later...................................

Well since I don't work as a CV and havn't for some years I would say this will never be done. I did try but my mind just doesn't work like that and I couldn't transcribe it.