WIP THREAD for October NEW USERS CONTEST

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    bluemoon said:
    Ilena52 said:
    Update version of the last image. Thoughts? Also, how does one create fog?

I used fog in one of my renders for last months challenge with the Atmospheric Effects Cameras which can be found here.

They are for DAZ only so I hope this helps you.

Oh, it does help but currently out of funds. On the bright side after waking up a solution lamp lighted up in the head and I got the fog. Listened to Szark advice on the light. It came out well I think. Also, I did tiny postwork( the eyes and messed with the layers ) so I hope you won't mind if I post both versions. What do you think about the differences? Can we see her face, do we need to, to tell the story?

Personally I think it is an amazing difference already. Love the lighting on the old Bones, how the eye sockets stand out. Nice.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

Ilena52 said:
    Update version of the last image. Thoughts? Also, how does one create fog?

My image used Uber Volume for the fog; included with DS. It does add time to the render though.

Post edited by BWSman on
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited October 2012

Szark said:
    Jad said:
    in the spririt of learning thanks i see what you are talking about, this is a great help, i know what and where i have to go, i will try to conjure up a better image next time, thank again for the map
    i guess the next thing i should get is photoshop, times are hard
    With a little work you can get great renders right from DS. No postwork needed, DS4.5 comes with some great tools (Uber Evro, Point Lights, Base Shader) all when you install it. Then you have the Surfaces tab to play with as well. Lighting (even just two Distant Lights setup well) and the Surfaces Tab with a good camera angle and image composition (flow of the eye, rule of thirds or another one of the many rules) can really do great things to what starts as a simple everyday render.

I really think more users should learn the full capabilities of the program before they jump into the Postwork to fix it frame of mind. If you can visit my DA page and look at my stuff, WARNING 18+ for part of it (in my sig) you can get a idea what DS can do all by itself. 99% of my renders are done WITHOUT postwork. I'm not even good, but I have done some good renders with just DS.

This is the end of the I Love DS and what it can do commercial.

P.S. I also love all the WIP's so far, with postwork, without I don't care. This is a great thread this month.
    Yes good follow up Jad and I totally agree. ;)

Things like smoke are doable in Daz Studio with Uber Volume built in to Daz Studio (this has a learning curve but not that steep), AOA's Cameras, as Bluemoon posted about above, the Shader Mixer or primitives and transmaps. But for a little bit like what I suggested is so much quicker and easier to do in Postwork especially if you have a low powered computer the Postwork is you friend.

I don't want to get in to a debate on the purity of rendering as art is our own and it is a personal choice weather we use postwork or try to do everything inside the CGI program. I have done many images that don't have postwork or at least very little and I have some that has a pile. I enjoy both sides.

But my advice still stands...POSTWORK rocks. LOL

GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ is a very excellent free peice of software. It can do more than my Photoshop Elements 6 can do and did I mention it is free. Just because a program is free doesn't make it any less worthiy than paid for programs. Plus there are a ton of written and video tutorials all over the internet.

Inkscape, Scribus and Blender are all open source and are very capable programs too.
    Although I like doing as much as feasable in the render (2D effects mapped onto a plane primitive are great for a lot of stuff), I also have to agree that a little postwork can make a good render into a great pic -- I always spend 2-3 minutes upping the saturation and balancing the shadows with a couple easy steps in GIMP. Cradle to Grave (below) takes a minimum of three renders (the scene, the ghost girl, and the doll) and I did a fourth with just the ghost girl's right hand/forearm to layer over the doll. The postworked glow effects are all created from the renders -- I've got the GIMP xcf file up here if anyone wants to see.

PCI20121004-CradleToGraveb-x2000.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 954K
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

KickAir 8P excellent image and excellent info, thanks for sharing.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    KickAir 8P excellent image and excellent info, thanks for sharing.

Thank Frank0314, he thought it'd be helpful over here. Glad you liked it!
  • BrotherloboBrotherlobo Posts: 495
    edited December 1969

Here's my project for this month's thread.
    Still not sure about the lighting...I think it need more work.
    Also, I'm thinking it needs something....torches, magic, fog, an evil mage....something.
    Looking for opinions and advice.
    Thanks

Halloween_WIP.jpg
    1538 x 872 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Yeah I saw the post, thanks Frank. ;)

• bartman23bartman23 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm very proud to present you my wip. I had never in my life thought that I would come up with something like this.

Yes I'm more than happy with the outcome, and in the end that is what counts.

Will play around later on with pwGhost from sale - but I think I'm done cause my beloved imac with only 2GB is already working very very hard.

Daz 4.5 - No postwork done.

Cheers!

October_Forum_1800.jpg
    1800 x 1012 - 1007K
    edited December 1969

Also, I'm thinking it needs something....torches, magic, fog, an evil mage....something.
    Thanks
    Yes too light to give any feeling of menace. Try experimenting with Linear Point Lights. In the Parameter setting of the Linear Points lights are a number of light Fall Off commands. Keep the Fall Off Start at 0 and End at 1000 making sure you Turn Fall Off on first. Do a low quality test render to see if the light spread far enough and bright enough. Normal Point lights will work just as well remembering the the brighter you go the further the light will spread.

When I refer to right and left I mean our right and left as we look at the image.

For me the place were the action is taking place is obscurred by the archer. Here are some things to consider or discard. :)

Halloween_WIP_copy.jpg
    1538 x 872 - 1M
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

bartman23 said:
    I'm very proud to present you my wip. I had never in my life thought that I would come up with something like this.

Will play around later on with pwGhost from sale - but I think I'm done cause my beloved imac with only 2GB is already working very very hard.

Cheers!

You may proud about you're self, this look good .
    good work.
    edited December 1969

bartman23 said:

Cheers!

Well I have been sittting here looking at it for a bit and I can't add anything. All I can say is WOW
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Well I have been sittting here looking at it for a bit and I can't add anything. All I can say is WOW

lol - I say wow (a little one) back and thank you Szark :)

edited December 1969

Sasje said:

You may proud about you're self, this look good .
    good work.

Thank you Sasje - you're too kind.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Thanks
    Yes too light to give any feeling of menace. Try experimenting with Linear Point Lights. In the Parameter setting of the Linear Points lights are a number of light Fall Off commands. Keep the Fall Off Start at 0 and End at 1000 making sure you Turn Fall Off on first. Do a low quality test render to see if the light spread far enough and bright enough. Normal Point lights will work just as well remembering the the brighter you go the further the light will spread.

When I refer to right and left I mean our right and left as we look at the image.

For me the place were the action is taking place is obscurred by the archer. Here are some things to consider or discard. :)

Thanks for the advice...I will look in some of your suggestions and do some more tweaks.

edited December 1969

bartman23 said:
    Szark said:

lol - I say wow (a little one) back and thank you Szark :)I was in two minds what the dragon would like with glowing eyes but thought naaaaaaa.

• edited December 1969

bartman23 said:

Cheers!

That's really awesome bartman23
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay first let me say this, Some great work going on here. Very good stuff so far. I'm really Impressed.

Now let me say this as well, I never said postwork was a bad thing. Some things can only be done with postwork and I do postwork some of my images just for that very reason. What I was trying to get across was that many things can be done with just DS and I think it would benefit all users to learn as much about the program as possible. If a person never tries to do something in the render and always does it in postwork they are missing out on the usefulness of the program. They might never bother to learn what can be done, that was what I was trying to say.

Now just for fun one of my Creepy images.
    Title: Something Wicked....

!Horror.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Okay first let me say this, Some great work going on here. Very good stuff so far. I'm really Impressed.

Now let me say this as well, I never said postwork was a bad thing. Some things can only be done with postwork and I do postwork some of my images just for that very reason. What I was trying to get across was that many things can be done with just DS and I think it would benefit all users to learn as much about the program as possible. If a person never tries to do something in the render and always does it in postwork they are missing out on the usefulness of the program. They might never bother to learn what can be done, that was what I was trying to say.

Now just for fun one of my Creepy images.
    Title: Something Wicked....

Nice...or should I respond with -- "By the pricky of my thumbs...."
    And I agree Jaderail. There is so much to learn on this program. I tend to get frustrated when I can't figure it out easily but then, I consider myself a newbie with the program (two months is not a long time in my book).

BTW -- here is the latest tweaks on my WIP -- not sure of the title yet. I changed the angle of the camera, working with the f-stop & POF (that we worked on back in Sept), added some fog and shrubery. Still not super happy with the lighting but it is still a WIP

Halloween_WIP_2.jpg
    1538 x 872 - 807K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

They might never bother to learn what can be done, that was what I was trying to say.

and I 100% agreed with you Jad and never took it to be anything else. :P
    edited October 2012

BTW -- here is the latest tweaks on my WIP -- not sure of the title yet. I changed the angle of the camera, working with the f-stop & POF (that we worked on back in Sept), added some fog and shrubery. Still not super happy with the lighting but it is still a WIPThat is looking pretty darn good, This is an example where Postwork will help. The moon could be brightened up for that glow in the fog effect it would have and the archers bow could be toned down to blend better with the over all render.

and I 100% agreed with you Jad and never took it to be anything else. :P
    You are correct kind sir. I just felt a tad bit of clear the air was needed. ;-)
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • edited December 1969

Not sure about this one, love the outfit but is it halloeweeny?

Have to add a few more props and work on the surfaces (done half) as they are all set up for Poser.

wip01.jpg
    748 x 998 - 200K
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Not sure about this one, love the outfit but is it halloeweeny?

Have to add a few more props and work on the surfaces (done half) as they are all set up for Poser.

Looks good to me, Need more Spooky? Add a skull to the top of the alter.
  • edited December 1969

Maybe skulls as candle holders, will have to hunt for some as I don't have any skulls.

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

bluemoon, jaderail and kickair 8p
    thanks for all the info i just loaded daz pro 4.5 a short time ago and im still looking around you all gave me alot to look for, i see i have alot of work to do and im happy that i have till the end of the month to get this done, all in all wip is a great place to make your bones, lol (learn)

thanks

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

New update version and the one with postwork in cs5. Might have overdid a bit with it though. Thoughts?

come_with_us_portal_awaits.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 1M
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    With a little work you can get great renders right from DS. No postwork needed, DS4.5 comes with some great tools (Uber Evro, Point Lights, Base Shaders) all when you install it. Then you have the Surfaces tab to play with as well. Lighting (even just two Distant Lights setup well) and the Surfaces Tab with a good camera angle and image composition (flow of the eye, rule of thirds or another one of the many rules) can really do great things to what starts as a simple everyday render.

I really think more users should learn the full capabilities of the program before they jump into the Postwork to fix it frame of mind. If you can visit my DA page and look at my stuff, WARNING 18+ for part of it (in my sig) you can get a idea what DS can do all by itself. 99% of my renders are done WITHOUT postwork. I'm not even good, but I have done some good renders with just DS.

This is the end of the I Love DS and what it can do commercial.

P.S. I also love all the WIP's so far, with postwork, without I don't care. This is a great thread this month.

I think this is an important statement. Postwork is ok for some things, but if you can do it naturally within your original software you'll get the effect you want, and easier.

Knowing your software is, without a doubt, all about comfort zones. I know Photoshop a lot better than I know any 3D application, and I know I can add a shadow here and there by making a grey area, blurring it, adding a mask, blah blah blah and it might look just fine, but it takes just as long to create a light and move it somewhere. Once you've learned the kind of effect you want and the settings on the light to achieve that, then you'll be in a brand new comfort zone.

I used to think Daz was a simple product. It can't model, it doesn't have particles to worry about, doesn't do landscaping, doesn't do this or that... How wrong can you be? Very complex software, and out of nearly everyone's comfort zone! But worth the effort of learning.

edited December 1969

If you take the same setup and render them once with Deep Shadow and one with Raytracing you obviously get different tonal images.

But what if something I like in the Deep Shadow render is almost gone in the Raytraced one? Is there a way to 'compensate' that difference so the Raytraced render with deeper colours has kept enough detail in the mids like the DSM version. I hope this makes sense, english is not my native tongue and how do you explain something like this?

see pics below and especially her right shoulder to her right arm you can see a glow refelection from the floor which is gone and I want that in the raytraced version too without altering it... the first one is Deep Shadow, second is Raytraced

thank you

A_WP800_raytraced.jpg
    800 x 450 - 213K
    A_WP800_DSM.jpg
    800 x 450 - 238K
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

Another version of the image before.

detalji_i_puno_njihn2.jpg
    1400 x 1120 - 1M
    edited October 2012

im am trying this again i hope it is better i would like your input

halloween_wish_to_be_young.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by gp139 on
    edited December 1969

and as you can see it is still comming out soft, i rendered this in png i have no idea what do to next