Music

VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Does anyone know of some good music making software? I have tried LMMS, but I don't like it because the interface makes my eyes want to bleed.

I don't play an instrument, but I can read sheet music for the drum.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808
    edited December 1969

lots of people use fruityloops which is shareware and has a free version.
    I don't because all those piano roll midi programs confuse the crap out of me, I need an analoge sheet music score!!
    for that reason I use Myriad melody assistant which is also cheap but very good shareware.
    the demo does everything, you just cannot export to wav or mp3 like most demos

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Wendy, how does Melody Assistant work exactly? Do you just write the sheet and it plays for you?

edited December 1969

you basicly drag and drop notes, rests etc onto the stave and yes, it plays it for you!
    AND virtual singer will sing it for you!!
    there are other score based programs but this is the most comprehensive one I have found which is why I bought it.
    best try the demo and others and find what works for you, drums often better in dedicated programs, I have many freeware music programs I install and uninstall frequently for different things, cnet has heaps!!
    I mix and composite stuff in Audacity rather than have a program that does it all.
    main thing for most is if they save to midi.
    if it does and reads midi you can move from one program to the next.

edited December 1969

I like the sound of Virtual Singer, because my own singing resembles a drunk sailor, I'e been told.

edited October 2012

you do not need to buy the virtual singer, I did because I use it a lot but just closeing and reopening the the program sets it trial period back to zero, myriad even tells you this in their VERY COMPREHENSIVE manual!!!
    yes Daz, they have a manual!
    and a bloody good one!!!
    http://www.myriad-online.com/en/index.htm

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

I see there is Melody AND Harmony Assistant. I don't get the difference though, except in price and name. Is one better than the other in your opinion?

edited December 1969

well I only have melody assistant so do not know, does what I want.
    and is cheaper!!
    I think harmony assistant creates harmonic notes, chords for your tune, I can do that anyway as I write my own music and my chords and arrangenents are uniquely mine, not computer generated.
    I like to add my own stamp to stuff, not have a press make art button.
    but would be good for someone who cannot create it themself.

edited December 1969

other "freeware" do you use?

edited December 1969

me, personally, not many,I pretty much just use Melody assistant! have tried lots
    would have to go though all my saved exe files to tell you as I mostly uninstall stuff, plently there, got about 10 dongles of crap!!

edited December 1969

Can you just click the notes onto the score instead of drag them?

Well, i guess I'll hae to try itd.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

You might want to check out Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/). It has a demo, and the price is very reasonable. If you need software instruments to use with it (or any other recording software), visit http://www.kvraudio.com. It has a very comprehensive list of freeware, shareware, and payware.

edited December 1969

I downloaded and installed it. I'm as lost as I was when I started DAZ. lol. I managed to pull up a drum sheet, but that's as far as I got.

edited December 1969

yes Jacob, just click where you want, I really meant that rather than drag, not reall good with my mouse terminology, you click back up on notes etc as you change them.
    I have heard of Reaper, like I said LOTS of freeware and share out there, just search on cnet, this is just the program I personally like and feel comfortable with.
    I want to get Sonar Cakewalk one day too, heard lots of good things about it.

edited December 1969

So far, I do like Melody Assistant, but I haven't figured out how add stuff yet. lol. Guess I'll try out Virtual Singer and maybe Reaper.

edited December 1969

Um...Hey Wendy, the site saays virtual singer is "downloaded within melody assistant". I can't seem to find it in MA. How do I open it?

edited December 1969

under windows, tick the virtual singer and under the little black arrow on the left of the melody stave choose song with lyrics
    you will get a section under the stave if you click your mouse there you can type lyrics
    try importing .kar files to test it, by default it only opens myr files but you can choose, all types inc midi
    karaoke files are basically midi files with lyrics.
    plenty of free ones of public domain songs on the web.
    virtual hymnal project is a good source if you like hymns!!

on my android but if I get on my desktop later today I will post screenshots.

• K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

I wonder if I can actually use any of the software listed on this thread to modify the scores of various works by the great composers, and listen to how it will sound like. ;-)

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

K T Ong said:
    I wonder if I can actually use any of the software listed on this thread to modify the scores of various works by the great composers, and listen to how it will sound like. ;-)

You should be able to. If you can find a midi file of the piece, any of the recording software should be able to load it. Edit to your heart's content, and playback. Of course, the sound quality will depend upon what instruments (software or hardware) you're using. Using a cheap General Midi softsynth won't give you the same quality as the expensive, professional stuff, but it's certainly doable.

edited December 1969

here is a karaoke site http://www.nifter.com/midi_karaoke_songs_free_downloads.htm
    remember these files are for personal use and cannot be broadcast on youtube for example
    this rule applies to all popular music which is why I suggested open hymnal, mid and kar files are considered musical compositions and while available for using to sing songs at home on karaoke software not meant to be converted to wav files and played in videos etc, just like you cannnot put a copyrighted mp3 from your music collection on one.
    but if you open one in Melody assistant you will hear virtual singer and see how it works.

copyright also applies to public domain mid and kar files unless they have been declared open source, public domain etc like open hymnal project has, I have had to contact Youtube several time for matched content warnings inspite of naming the source and providing a link, they subsequently removed the matched content notification in all cases as I provided all the information and licensing in my dispute reply, so letting you know already.

edited December 1969

That's kind ofwhy I don't bother even downloading copyrighted content like that. I prefer to do my own work and share iut on sites like youtube.

Wanted to make mom a song for Christmas