Mapping a poseable figure? *fixed*

ok, I have created a simple ghost in Hexagon. In Hexagon I created the uvmaps, and the shading domains. I exported the object. In DS4.5 I grouped it and applied the rigging with the Figure Setup Tools. The figure works and poses. However, it will not accept the uv maps. When in the process should I uv map my figure? What am I doing wrong?

Post edited by thedragonlord_e5129d5d1c on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

Make sureyou didn't miss any polygons when mapping - OBJ doesn't , officially, support partial mapping. You can see if the mapping came across by using the UV View in DS.

• edited December 1969

The mapping did not come across. the UV view shows one big square.

• edited December 1969

In fact, UV view shows me one big square for any figure I load, including V4. Now back to my figure -- the uv map can be seen in uv mapper, and even in Poser. Is there something wrong with my DS?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

All is OK. You have to select a texture in the Surfaces tab first. It will show you the UV View for each part of the texture you can select.

It was a good idea to try it on V4, that way you will know it is working.

• edited December 1969

oooooh. Ok, so I have my grouped figure, and in UV preview, I went to surfaces tab, and clicked on the little picture uv icon, and I can see the uv map. I also do this on the completed, rigged figure and can see the uv map in uv preview. However, when I choose a uv map texture it does not show up on the figure.

edited October 2012

How are you trying to show your texture?

You need to apply the texture to the Surfaces tab in the Diffuse channel. You also need to apply a colour or texture in a 2D paint program onto the UV Template first, then load that in the Surfaces tab.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • edited December 1969

Yes, yes. I know how to apply a texture. I did just what you said.

edited December 1969

If you apply a texture in the Diffuse channel, it should show on the figure, even if it is not UV mapped.

It will not fit properly without the mapping, but it will still show up. You have me baffled :)

Can you show a screenshot like the one below?

Untitled-1.jpg
    740 x 514 - 113K
  • edited December 1969

Ok, attached is a screenshot below. I did not paint all of the uvmap, just one arm. It wouldn't matter anyway. If the map was working, the grid would show up, too. But as you can see, there's the map chosen in the diffuse color, and there is nothing showing on my model.

screenshot1.jpg
    500 x 400 - 32K
    edited December 1969

Have you tried a quick render? Is your viewport set to Texture Shaded? Why not paint the template in a paint program, make it bright green or something. I cannot believe that it wont work.

• edited December 1969

Uggh! That's it! I did not have it in Texture Shaded. It works! Thank you so much, Jimmy for your patience.

edited December 1969

HaHa. It is sooo easy to do that. I have done it myself, that's why I asked.

Glad it's working now anyway.