Genesis Towel Set

Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Is anyone else having problems with the new Genesis Towel Set?

First problem was that the installer couldn't find the readme file on the Daz server. I tried searching but just got the Aiko 3 and Vick 4 Towel Sets.

I found out where the towels were installed. In the Shader Mixer category there is something called "Fluffy White Your Difuse". There is an icon that says Do not combine with any other shader so I have tried applying it to the towel without adding any other textures but every time I try this, Daz Studio locks up. I get the busy mouse pointer and it won't respond to anything. At first I though it was just taking some time to set up so I applied it and went off to watch some TV, but an hour and a half later Daz Studio was still not responding.

My computer is not the latest technology but its fairly powerful (Intel i7 6 cores at 3 point something GHz with 12G RAM). I'm running Daz Studio 4.5 pro 64 bit on Windows 7 Pro and I think this should cope with most things Daz Studio can throw at it.

With no documentation on this product I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if this is a bug in Daz Studio/The Towel Set/My PC.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited October 2012

I bought this, but I haven't used it yet. I am using an i7 64 bit as well, and I'll give it a try for you.

EDIT:

I just tried this, and I got an error message when I tried to apply the shader. It is looking for a file called MHFSwtmatted.jpg and it cannot be found in my DAZ 3D folder at all. I clicked on Skip, and the viewport changed slightly as if a shader had been applied anyway.

Here is what the render produced, very quickly, a few seconds is all it took.

FTowel.jpg
    772 x 766 - 121K
    Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    edited December 1969

Thanks for trying that.

There is something odd going on here. I have got the file MHFSwtmatted.jpg, it is in My Library\Runtime\textures\Marieah\DazShaders

I tried renaming the file and tried again. I got the message saying Daz Studio couldn't find the file, I told it stop looking and Daz Studio didn't lock up. I could render the towel and it looks nice and fluffy.

So it seems that Daz Studio locks up if it can find that file but it works fine without it. I've no idea what's going on here but it's working now.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Glad it's working now at least, yes, very strange.

The donload file I got was called 14731_TowelSetGenesis_1.1_trx.exe, and that JPG is not installed, perhaps your file was version 1.0?

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    edited December 1969

I've got the same filename as you have but I do have some other clothes from the same creator, maybe its a shared file?

I've been playing around a bit. If you go into the surfaces tab you can change the towel's colour or add a texture by either setting a colour or a jpeg to something called "Image (9)". You have to adjust the horizontal and vertical tile values if you are using the fabric textures provided with the towels, a value of 10 seems to match the non-fuzzy material settings.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

It seems to have disappeared from the store ...

• IVSMAIVSMA Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Had this on my wishlist...

What happened to it?
    Is it comming back?

Does anyone know?
    :)

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Suspicion that it was a time limited Platinum Anniversary item.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

anikad said:

Not just a suspicion - though there was a hint that it will resurface at some point, though no indication as to whether that would be permanent or temporary.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited December 1969

anikad said:

Not just a suspicion - though there was a hint that it will resurface at some point, though no indication as to whether that would be permanent or temporary.

Is there any way for the consumer to find out which ones are time-limited Platinum Anniversary items? (Before they vanish?).

I've spent a while searching manually, since Google finds all sorts of ways to trip itself up, and it also overlooks many posts.

edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    anikad said:

Is there any way for the consumer to find out which ones are time-limited Platinum Anniversary items? (Before they vanish?).

I've spent a while searching manually, since Google finds all sorts of ways to trip itself up, and it also overlooks many posts.

The DAZ items released with big discounts at the end of the week have, so far, been weekend specials that vanish on Monday.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2012

I never saw any of the items advertised as limited time only. The sale pricing was but no one said the items would not be available again.

No one should have to assume that just because an Item came out on friday at a discount it would be gone monday.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

T Jaiman said:

The DAZ items released with big discounts at the end of the week have, so far, been weekend specials that vanish on Monday.

Thanks, that helps.

I'll have to pay better attention to new releases, now. I don't spot what's new, easily, because my memory isn't that sharp.
    Sort-by-release-date's irregularities work against me. (And big discounts blend together, this month).

I wish they'd have said explicitly. So far, I've shrugged these off at first sight, but I might've taken the time to research them, if I known they'd be vaulted.

Turns out, too late, that the poses would've been the biggest selling point, for the towel set, for me.

Those are some fun and useful poses, but most seem to depend on morphs in the towels set.

I hope the poses don't get pulled too, or that they go back on a good sale. I might try deformers on towels, and play with dynamic towels.

Huh, the wishlist is sorted by date. That'll help me find Genesis stuff in there.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

I never saw any of the items advertised as limited time only. The sale pricing was but no one said the items would not be available again.

No one should have to assume that just because an Item came out on friday at a discount it would be gone monday.

This item was released at the same time as the Guardsman outfit. I remember because it was supposed to be 50% off but it was showing up at full price. I commented because the full cost was more than a real world set of towels at Walmart.

Usually there is a sticky or some other announcement indicating that something is one the time limited items. Guess this is another thing that got lost.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

The towels were a limited time offer but I too am having trouble using them to get the fluffy look. It throws errors. I'm going to have to try documenting this issue and submitting a bug report. I spent too much money on the towels to have them behave funky. IT is a nice product, but part of my concern with these limited time offers is that if there is a bug, it won't get fixed because its no longer being sold.

I will try again tonigh and see if I get the error....

edited December 1969

What version of DS are you using?

edited December 1969

I'm using 4.5.0.137 I will take screenshots and notes of issues I have with the set.

edited October 2012

okay, yep, verified the error on the towel situation. when you click 'fluffy white you diffuse' daz throws an error (see screenshot). Clicking through the error, lets the texture apply, but it is saying texture is missing.

error.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 397K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

OK, so it's just a missing or misplaced texture. Could you make a report to the Content bug tracker please.

edited October 2012

I went to submit a ticket, and found one had already been done. The note in the completed bug report says to re-download this file in a few days. I did try the file now, but it is the same one that I already have which is bugged. Will reset my download again in a few days.

PS: Those who want the towel set- it is in the store today 70% off.

Post edited by Serene Night on