DAZ 4 and file size of renders

starbuckstarbuck Posts: 0

I am using DAZ 4 Pro and when I render a scene, the resulting file size is generally around 900 + mb. For my own use this is not a problem, but Renderosity has a max file size of 512 mb. The only I can get my renders down to that size is to either render a smaller portion of the scene or use an image editor to crop it down. I'm sure there is a setting for it but I can't find it. Thanks

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,736
    edited December 1969

What format are you saving in? Have you tried using an image editor to squeeze it down more, without dropping pixels, if you are using jpg? (Remember that every time you load and save a jpg you lose quality - I would advise saving your renders in a lossless format, png or tiff, and then open those in an image editor and use the save for web or save jpg options to find a balance between size and quality that you can live with.)

• starbuckstarbuck Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm saving in png format. I have found that images on Renderosity are around 1500x1000 to 1920x1980 and around a file size of 460 to 506 mb.

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

Renderosity limit is 512 Kb not Mb. Are you aware of difference between Kb and Mb?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

A file saved as .png doesn't have just one compression setting — do you have image manipulation programs, whether a full painting program like Photoshop or a freebie file converter like IrfanView? Any of these programs allow you to load a .png image and re-save it with a different compression setting.

edited December 1969

Your right Medzin, it is kb not mb. I sometimes swap the two. Yes, I know I could use a third party program. I was just hoping I could do it through DAZ alone. I don't always have time to run my images through several programs. Thanks for the responses.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Yes, I know I could use a third party program. I was just hoping I could do it through DAZ alone.

It's all a matter of what a program's intended to do. File conversion and tweaking compression are among the things Photoshop and IrfanView are designed for, so they do a better job of it than DAZ|Studio or Poser.
    edited December 1969

Thank you for all the responses. I tried IrfanView and it worked well.