WIP THREAD for October NEW USERS CONTEST

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited October 2012

I agree you really need some shadowing. He does look like he's walking on air, but your doing a really good job. You just have a few detail that need worked out.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    I think Mr Demon is looking in disgust at his birthday present. Oh no, another pink dagger from grandma.

I would say if you want the dagger to be a focal point then set up a separate light for it and assuming the blade is silver, make the light fairly bright with a short focal length and a cone that just covers the blade. The rest of the lighting looks great. Dark and brooding.

Thanks for the feedback. At the moment I am not sure what I want the focal point of the render to be, I was just seeing if I could create a nice lighting effect using only one light in the scene.
    Lighting is one of the things I'm trying to get to grips with because I used to fail massively with it. What I've learned is that sometimes you can create more atmosphere by using less lights, so yes, you've achieved a great deal with that pic.

I'm hoping it was obvious that my first comment about grandma's dagger was in good humour, but I realised after I posted it that a comment made in good humour could actually be quite painful, and that posting a WIP in here is a little like baring your soul.

edited December 1969

Well, I finally decided to get something done! My original idea was overwritten though while I was listening to the Queen II album! I was in my car singing along to March of the Black Queen very loudly and thinking I love that title, and the song, and that I'd like to base my image on that.

So far I've just done the main parts of the environment. I know there's no sky, but I can solve that.

Lighting is achieved so far using three very soft blue-grey distance lights and one brighter light to simulate the moon. Still needs work but I wanted to post something so that I'm then committed to finishing!

Next step is to populate the scene, and I'm REALLY looking forward to that, I've got some ideas.

Oct2012nc1.png
    1365 x 1024 - 2M
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Good stuff folks, I'm on pins and needles waiting to see more of these.

edited December 1969

Night lighting is one of those that is hard to accomplish properly. I see a future contest idea stirring.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

I want to show this one.

wolf1_bew.jpg
    911 x 1178 - 211K
    edited December 1969

Very nice sasje. I really like that

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

Ooh, very nice stuff so far. :)

edited October 2012

Frank0314 said:
    Night lighting is one of those that is hard to accomplish properly. I see a future contest idea stirring.

Yeah, because of the lighting I've switched to full raytracing now and high shadow softness apart from the moon which has a lower softness. I have plans to make the lights make more sense to the viewer but I don;t want to go into detail in case I cock it up and end up giving someone ideas that will ultimately fail. Am enjoying this though.

{edit} - Killed the render with the new lighting before it finished. It was clear that the scene had transformed itself from a dusk setting to a middle of the afternoon setting, so once again I've played with my lighting, both position and strength, and am re-rendering. Was hoping to put a new WIP up here but it's midnight, my computer will turn into a pumpkin any second and I'm about to lose one of my slippers again. Hate when that happens.

G'night guys, I'm loving what I'm seeing here and glad to finally be a part of it.

And Sasje, that image is beautiful.

Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
  • bartman23bartman23 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    I want to show this one.

Looks good Sasje! Funny stuff

• bartman23bartman23 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Changed my mind and brought the kid inside

west_park.jpg
    1832 x 1021 - 1019K
    edited December 1969

I like that one Bartman.

Ok, so, I put my Black Queen into my pic, still unhappy with the night-time lights but I do have ideas for solving that. Here's my latest addition to the entry, but still a long, long way to go.

Incidentally, this is without a doubt the longest I've spent on one picture. Normally I have to get everything done at once or I lose interest, and I've lost count of how many times that's happened, so I'm very pleased about that.

Oct2012Newbie2.png
    1024 x 768 - 1M
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

For once, I've started a proper render already for this, rather than just saying it looks exciting and not bothering.

Hallowe'en is very much in my bag because I love doing Pagan styled images

Is it true I have found a fellow pagan..please tell me it's true. :)
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

if it is make that 2. And not one of these so called "Neo-Pagans" either.

Back on topic, We are getting some really good starts here, fun to watch them progress. :coolsmirk:

• edited December 1969

Have a lot to do with this one, not happy with those really dark shadows and would like to make the background darker.

It has just gone midnight here and I think I should get some sleep and have another look tomorrow. I want to post the first one in a different thread (when I finish it) so I started this one for this thread.

Also I would like to make the vampires body to glow a bit, tried it with the ambient channel but it didn't look convincing.

H02.jpg
    800 x 550 - 147K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Back on topic, :coolsmirk:
    :P

Bluemoon you are seriously coming along nicely.

It is interesting what BlumBlumShub said about lighting, less is more and all that. I agree with spookey type of images. I find it hard to do these types of images so they have the intended impact so I will be learning along side you all.

edited December 1969

Great job bartman and bluemoon. Those are some great renders.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    For once, I've started a proper render already for this, rather than just saying it looks exciting and not bothering.

Hallowe'en is very much in my bag because I love doing Pagan styled images

Is it true I have found a fellow pagan..please tell me it's true. :)
    Aye, I believe it's true.

And I am not a neo anything, though I used to play Neocron, and I quite like The Matrix.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This is not really an entry (not sure if I posted this on the old forums or not); but it fits the theme.

And one I did for a freebie challenge a couple of years ago.

rusalka.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 856K
    restless.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    edited December 1969

jerriecan said:
    Ooh, very nice stuff so far. :)
    Okay mister new Handle, I noticed, lets see some WIP's. I'm wondering about that trick or treating image. Just were will it go?
    edited December 1969

I like that one Bartman.

Ok, so, I put my Black Queen into my pic, still unhappy with the night-time lights but I do have ideas for solving that. Here's my latest addition to the entry, but still a long, long way to go.

Incidentally, this is without a doubt the longest I've spent on one picture. Normally I have to get everything done at once or I lose interest, and I've lost count of how many times that's happened, so I'm very pleased about that.

Oh boy, I'm liking this so far. I can not wait to see what you do here. (Ren & Stimpy) JOY! :-P
    edited December 1969

bartman23 said:
    Nice, and creepy. Question, did the render size change in the rules this month?
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Have a lot to do with this one, not happy with those really dark shadows and would like to make the background darker.

It has just gone midnight here and I think I should get some sleep and have another look tomorrow. I want to post the first one in a different thread (when I finish it) so I started this one for this thread.

Also I would like to make the vampires body to glow a bit, tried it with the ambient channel but it didn't look convincing.

Yet another nice one, looking forward to the end product.
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    I want to show this one.
    One of my FAV figures. You did this very well. I'm impressed with it.
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    This is not really an entry (not sure if I posted this on the old forums or not); but it fits the theme.

And one I did for a freebie challenge a couple of years ago.

Get them juices flowing, do us a new one for this month.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I like that one Bartman.

Oh boy, I'm liking this so far. I can not wait to see what you do here. (Ren & Stimpy) JOY! :-P
    Well I'm enjoying working on it, but done nothing today except some rough sketches.
    edited October 2012

Jaderail said:
    bartman23 said:
    Nice, and creepy. Question, did the render size change in the rules this month?

No render sizes are as usual, but it's not an entry

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks Szark, Frank0314 and Jaderail.

After a few hours sleep the answer to my lighting problem was simple - delete all of them and start again. I like this one much better, still have to do a bit of work on the background.

H03.jpg
    800 x 550 - 133K
    edited December 1969

Yeah I agree that is a great start. I'm liking it alot

• edited December 1969

Thank-you Frank