- - Spyro's Render Thread and Projects - -

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

love the lighting - great mood

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Lighting and Trees layer test.

Render time: 48min 4sec, Size: 500p x 488p.

From this small render I have identified some issues. Area's that need more foliage to discreetly covered up some sharp edges and joins in the land model. There really wasn't enough polys to work with on the edges of the path way, so it's rather jagged and sharp. Smoothing can really only go so far. Another overlooked but in your face issue is with a section of the path, where the texture has broken into a different texture. I have to say I'm rather pleased with the shadows and lighting. :)

Attached: The low-res render and the notes.

TestRenderJungle_landtrees_Notes.jpg
    500 x 488 - 244K
    TestRenderJungle_landtrees.jpg
    500 x 488 - 186K
    edited December 1969

Test render from earlier. Lighting modifications, fog modified, camera angles set x 2, Set up the Depth of field. Refined character positions and poses. Foreground characters have refined textures, The older guy on the left will be given a shaved hairstyle texture.

TestRenderJungle_DOF_4.jpg
    1000 x 976 - 469K
    edited December 1969

Test Render - Jungle Scene. Camera: 1 of 2

Made some alterations, from the notes of the previous render.

Compiled layers: Trees, Objects, Homes, Lights/Cameras

Render Time: 42min, 52sec (Amazing, this was significantly faster than the previous render, despite having added more plants and trees not to mention all the objects and houses!)

TestRenderJungle_HomesTreesLights.jpg
    500 x 488 - 181K
    edited September 2012

Quick Test render, readying for the full Render (Planning for when I go to bed)

16:9 Widescreen is set up, A lemur and fox have also been placed and posed.

EDIT: Attached a fully loaded and compiled test render (Excluding the lights) The scene is now ready for the fully complete render.

TestRenderJungle_QuickFULL16by9.jpg
    1500 x 843 - 814K
    TestRenderJungle_QuickAnimals16by9.jpg
    1500 x 843 - 784K
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited August 2017

JUNGLE - Tribal Homecoming

SR TribalHomecoming.png
    1076 x 826 - 1M
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And you said you gave up. Bravo for you.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

wow what a great job - good for you

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    And you said you gave up. Bravo for you.

HAHA... Yeah well it did make me grumpy... And really made me adopt the complaint thread... But hey, I cant let soooo much work and frustration simply get deleted. I HAD to finish this, even if my hair went gray, and my puta screen burnt out.

• michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Hi Spyro,
    thanks for letting us watch your trials in bringing your image together, I must say it make the final image is all the more enjoyable knowing the amount of work that went into it. Well done!

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Awesome image! And congratulations for having it featured in the Platinum Club newsletter!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I was wondering how folks knew about the image I checked my mail again and BOOM I have it. I hate my provider, all my mail is SLOW.
    Conga Rats Spyro. Well done.

P.S. Conga Rats are High praise from one well known DAS Artist, I stole it.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I was wondering how folks knew about the image I checked my mail again and BOOM I have it. I hate my provider, all my mail is SLOW.
    Conga Rats Spyro. Well done.

P.S. Conga Rats are High praise from one well known DAS Artist, I stole it.

LMAO! Thats a cool compliment! I'll have to add that to my vocabulary so that I can use it for others lol!

edited December 1969

Hi Spyro,
    thanks for letting us watch your trials in bringing your image together, I must say it make the final image is all the more enjoyable knowing the amount of work that went into it. Well done!

Thanks Heaps! Yeah I was petrified that It would all flop on me and that I'd give up. But I think the whole WIP updates thing is what really kept me going. I refused to work on any other render until I had this one done. And It was worth it... I just wish my computer could have rendered it at least a 1000 pixels bigger, it's sadly much smaller than I hoped for.

@ Thanks Scott, I'm glad you like it :cheese:

edited December 1969

New Long Term Project.

After getting an insight into making props and creating morphs I began looking into clothing... A territory I have totally avoided in the 3D universe as I had the firm belief that it was impossible at my skill level. But times have changed, and as I learned of prop making and UVW mapping the aspiration kicked in.

Most of my life, I have devoted my traditional/digital art to my own fictional characters and costumes, and as my art embraced 3D (and not just to do with figure reference for 2D art and 3ds Max set construction/design) I became interested in working out how purchased items were constructed, how it so fine tuned to work well with the characters like M4, V4 and Genesis. As my runtime expanded, so did my idea's.

Then recently, I began to utilize my membership with Deviant Art and filled my gallery with many artworks and designs (most of which were made in the last five years) The costume designs I submitted, brought back much of my early inspirations. So... I figured what the hell, why not give it a go!

As a long term project, (I say 'long-term' largely because I know It will take a lot of work, learning, research and application) I decided to make a start, and trialled some new skills, most notably 'Plane-modeling' or 'Polly-modeling'. It was a success! So NOW I'm setting myself the project.

I'm going to develop my concept design in 3D! A full costume including: Boots, Belts, Buckles, Trousers, Loincloth, Shirt, Jewelry and possibly Gloves. I will refer to these designs as I hopefully make it 3D reality.

Project Requirements: Daz 3D, Hexagon and 3Ds Max. The outfit is to be created for genesis. The created outfit is to be heavily based on the design.

As I progress, I will update this thread and post WIP screen shots and renders.

Spyro_Early_Concept_S.jpg
    1800 x 1458 - 671K
    edited December 1969

The Boots (WIP)

I'm working on the boot's first... Not the easiest item to begin with, however I MUST have the boots before I can model the trousers, and I need the trousers made before I can make the Top and loincloth. I need the Top and Loincloth made before I can make the belts and so on.

After some research on Polly modeling and Plane modeling as well as some insight into the process of modeling shoes/boots I decided It was best to start with the soul of the boot and work my way up.

Here is the completed boot soul. I will add that I'm quite pleased with this part of the boot :cheese:

Soul3_Wireframe.jpg
    1410 x 594 - 315K
    soul3.jpg
    1385 x 599 - 192K
    edited October 2012

Made the reinforced toes section of the boot. All made using planes.

Boot1Wire.jpg
    1384 x 452 - 410K
    Boot1.jpg
    873 x 516 - 142K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

looks like a plastic clog so far!
    I know you are making a boot but a pair of those cheap as chips clogs would be cool too!

edited December 1969

LMAO Yes that be true, they all be bright colours, I seem to remember the very common fluro pink

edited December 1969

The reinforced heel section. Again using plane modeling.

Boot2_2.jpg
    1442 x 518 - 506K
    Boot2_3.jpg
    1187 x 708 - 211K
    edited December 1969

Working on the foot area. A long process... Soooo many polys, but will be worth it! :P

Boot4_1.jpg
    1203 x 695 - 218K
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

Its nice to see how you do this.. it really inspires m to push on learning 3ds.

edited December 1969

It's really worth it Ivy! And not just for hobbies, there a wide world out there :cheese: Since I not able to study it any higher than my current diploma in my area, I'm furthering my understanding with heaps of tutorials and youtube tuts... I've learned so much recently!

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    It's really worth it Ivy! And not just for hobbies, there a wide world out there :cheese: Since I not able to study it any higher than my current diploma in my area, I'm furthering my understanding with heaps of tutorials and youtube tuts... I've learned so much recently!
    Interesting to see the progress and how shoes go together.

Just out of interest do you plan to weld the bits together or do they stay separate pieces? If they stay separate are they going to work with smoothing?

Also wanted to mention I really like your renders and what you're doing with the landscape.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Spyro said:

Just out of interest do you plan to weld the bits together or do they stay separate pieces? If they stay separate are they going to work with smoothing?

Also wanted to mention I really like your renders and what you're doing with the landscape.

Thank you very much Pandraia!

In regards to the boots... The separate parts of the boots I have two possible ways of doing this... Depending on the UVW Mapping.

1. Wield all the pieces together and apply surface smoothing groups (All in 3ds max) This would mean that there will be only one UV map and only one material zone.

2. Don't wield all the pieces together and all the parts of the boot will have its own individual material zones. This meas in terms of for instance a boot strap could be set to opacity zero and it will look like it has no boot strap. This however does not mean they are separate objects at all. They are still one object. Smoothing again will be using smoothing groups in 3ds max.

I am thinking a mix of the two might be appropriate... I'm thinking I might weld the toe section to the main boot and the heel. The soul will not be wielded and the bootstraps and clips will not be wielded.

edited December 1969

Just a WIP Update… I actually discovered I made it too wide around the ankle… It’s all quite new to me, so many poly’s to manage. But I’m sure once I get the other side of the boot done I’ll be able to fix it. I just hope this will wield together okay.

I have to say it’s very tempting to use an already made boot and edit its mesh, But that would get me no where, it wouldn’t be mine and I will have learned nothing. So I wont. But I cant deny the temptation.

I’ll be so proud when it finally is exported to Daz! I really cant wait… It’ll be my very first clothing for daz figure WOW

Anyways, here the pic..

Boot4_2.jpg
    1099 x 644 - 215K
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Pendraia said:
    Spyro said:

Thank you very much Pandraia!

In regards to the boots... The separate parts of the boots I have two possible ways of doing this... Depending on the UVW Mapping.

1. Wield all the pieces together and apply surface smoothing groups (All in 3ds max) This would mean that there will be only one UV map and only one material zone.

2. Don't wield all the pieces together and all the parts of the boot will have its own individual material zones. This meas in terms of for instance a boot strap could be set to opacity zero and it will look like it has no boot strap. This however does not mean they are separate objects at all. They are still one object. Smoothing again will be using smoothing groups in 3ds max.

I am thinking a mix of the two might be appropriate... I'm thinking I might weld the toe section to the main boot and the heel. The soul will not be wielded and the bootstraps and clips will not be wielded.

Hi Spryo, I don't use 3dsmax so I was wondering if it isn't possible to add material zones after welding? I know that with hexagon I can select faces and create new material zones and that it's possible in programs like uv mapper, uvlayout and probably hexagon also to create separate uv maps if you want for different parts of a model. My concern with items that are non welded is that when I've autofit some older non welded items that there tends to be some separation of the bits which is probably why I asked in the first place. Using autofit has made me more away of how smoothing can impact on a model.

A mix of the two would be interesting...I'm still trying to work out what needs to be welded and what doesn't. That's why I ask so many questions...; )

edited October 2012

Yeah that is a very good point! I didn't think of that :-S This is my first article of clothing for a figure in daz, in the past, Ive only made props and sets, in which requires no auto fit. I actually don't know how to set separate/multiple material zones on one model, I will have to research that! You would be able to.

And yes certainly UV mapping can be as many areas or parts as you want, 3ds max and Maya are pretty much the gods of 3d software they are extremely advanced! I have a lot of trouble trying finding any 'non-existent' features in them, they just have everything ... (if you know what you're looking for and how to use those features of course.)

Thanks very much for that advise, I would have had a lots of complications down the road without it! Thanks :cheese:

I will wield everything at completion now.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Yeah that is a very good point! I didn't think of that :-S This is my first article of clothing for a figure in daz, in the past, Ive only made props and sets, in which requires no auto fit. I actually don't know how to set separate/multiple material zones on one model, I will have to research that! You would be able to.

And yes certainly UV mapping can be as many areas or parts as you want, 3ds max and Maya are pretty much the gods of 3d software they are extremely advanced! I have a lot of trouble trying finding any 'non-existent' features in them, they just have everything ... (if you know what you're looking for and how to use those features of course.)

Thanks very much for that advise, I would have had a lots of complications down the road without it! Thanks :cheese:

I will wield everything at completion now.

Glad if I could help to clarify the process, someone with more experience than me might say differently of course. I've only made two or three outfits and these have been dresses, skirts and tops so I don't have any experience with creating shoes only with autofitting from past generations. I'm not sure how much applies when creating new stuff for Genesis...which is why I asked.

I thought 3DSMax would be able to do it if Hexagon can...: )

I'm starting to think that when creating clothing you need to have a rough plan in mind for how you intend to uv map it and also how you intend to achieve certain of the design features. I was planning on trying to do indentations for princess seams on one of the dresses I created but to do this I would have to have approached the mesh differently. So I decided to try that next time.

I take forever though farting around with stuff...; )

I've probably got about 3-4 things that I should really finish and release as freebies but I get distracted playing Hexagon and UVLayout...

edited December 1969

UV is soooooooooo time consuming! And yeah, I sidetrack my self with the many other projects I'm simultaneously working on.. Lol it's very easy to sidetracked and distracted. But it's good to have a few projects going... That way when your burning yourself out on one, you can have a break from it with another project :)