Unassigned Scene Glitch

RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
edited September 2012 in The Commons

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out before, but I appear to be having program glitches with my finding all of my saved scenes in Smart Content and Content Library. As you can see in the attachment below, I am running the full 4.5 Pro version of DS and my File open is showing more scenes than the actual content manager. As you can see in my taskbar, I run a Windows 7, 64-bit.

In the past, this glitch was the result of me redirecting my scenes in sub-folders nested in my Runtime > Scenes folder. Accessing the scenes and resaving them would usually correct this. However, this isn't the case anymore...

Any ideas what this is and how I may correct it?

Post edited by RCDeschene on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure why this worked for you before -- DS shouldn't be showing you DS scene files saved into the Runtime structure unless there are identically-named Poser files in the same folder.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited September 2012

I'm not sure why this worked for you before -- DS shouldn't be showing you DS scene files saved into the Runtime structure unless there are identically-named Poser files in the same folder.

Oh! My apologies! You're right. I made a mistake... :red:

I should have said "Runtime > Libraries > Scenes"...

Unnasingned_Glitch_2.png
    1600 x 900 - 236K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

They still won't show in the Content Library - at least, not without a matching Poser file, and I don't think they will load correctly even then (DS, when I tried, seemed to treat the files as presets even if they were scenes and so failed to add new elements to the scene - I use a loader script to get around this). I've had no success in getting the CMS to acknowledge DS-format files saved to a Runtime structure, though Rob tells me it should work (well, I think that's what he told me - if my question was clear).

edited December 1969

Well then, how do I correct this? I mean, just the fact that I still see SOME of my scene files there tells me it's still achievable.

edited December 1969

Are you sure the ones you're seeing aren't actually saved elsewhere? I would move them outside of the Runtime hierarchy.

edited December 1969

Actually, most of the ones you see in the original screen are in a sub folder called "Characters". This folder can be seen in the second screen. However, as you'll also see, files like "David 5", "She-Freak 5", and "Stephanie 5" are actually saved in the Scenes folder outside of that.

And as I said before in my original post, moving scenes into sub-folders would cause this glitch. However, simply reopening and resaving the files absent from the Smart Content/Content Library would correct this. Since files from both departments are present in my current Unassigned list, I don't see how the problem could be missing poser files...

edited December 1969

Can you go into the Characters subfolder in Windows Explorer, sort by name, and post a screenshot?

Is it possible that the files that aren't showing in Unassigned have been assigned? If you go to Content Library > Categories > Default > Unassigned, do you see the exact same set of files?

edited September 2012

Exactly as in the Smart Content list, yes.

Characters_Folder.png
    1600 x 900 - 236K
    edited December 1969

Can you go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the DS-formats and Poser formats, and post a screenshot?

edited September 2012

Can do.

Untitled.png
    1600 x 900 - 273K
    edited December 1969

Puzzling, I don't know why DS should display them -- it shouldn't for any of them. Were the ones that are in the Characters subfolder done at a different time to the ones in the folder above it? If you try saving a scene to the Characters subfolder now, does it work? If you move one of the scenes that isn't showing up into Characters, does it work?

edited December 1969

Okay, it appears you're on to something regarding scenes created at a different time. It seems as though that only ones being effected by this are one's I created before the finalized release of DS4.5.

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

In the screen grab below you'll notice that I saved a test Studio .duf scene to the Poser runtime Scene folder. It does not appear in the Content Library pane but is located in the Runtime\librarys\scene folder.

If you Import Mapped Directories then it will show up in the Smart Content pane in the Unassigned category and you can see in the info section below that the path is to the runtime scene folder.

I think what may have happened to you is that when you saved your scene files you didn't notice that you where in the Poser formats directory and at some point you had imported the mapped directories.

Hope this helps... :)

scenetest.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 249K
    edited December 1969

Sorry I've been gone for a while! I've had to take care of a few things... :)

Anywho...

niccipb said:
    Hi...

In the screen grab below you'll notice that I saved a test Studio .duf scene to the Poser runtime Scene folder. It does not appear in the Content Library pane but is located in the Runtime\librarys\scene folder.

If you Import Mapped Directories then it will show up in the Smart Content pane in the Unassigned category and you can see in the info section below that the path is to the runtime scene folder.

I think what may have happened to you is that when you saved your scene files you didn't notice that you where in the Poser formats directory and at some point you had imported the mapped directories.

Well, it does show me how I can continue to make Scenes appear in my Content Library, but the odd thing is I have nothing like that existing in my Poser Formats already.

If I do as you suggested, will this, in turn recreate the scene thumbnails in my Smart Content?

edited December 1969

Hi...

Sorry I've been gone for a while! I've had to take care of a few things... :)

Anywho...

niccipb said:
    Hi...

Well, it does show me how I can continue to make Scenes appear in my Content Library, but the odd thing is I have nothing like that existing in my Poser Formats already.

If I do as you suggested, will this, in turn recreate the scene thumbnails in my Smart Content?

Sorry... I'm a little confused...

Looking at your screen grabs, your scene files are in your Poser Formats runtime already. The Content Library will not show DS formats in the runtime unless there is a same-named poser file there as well.

What I was showing is that it is possible for the Smart Content pane to show those DS files if you import the mapped directories, as I thought that is what your original question was. Sorry if I misunderstood what your question was...

Unfortunately no, this will not recreate any missing thumbnails. You would need to re-save the scenes to do that.

nicci... :)

edited December 1969

Oh crap! I forgot the new screenshot!

This is what I was referring to... (See Screenshot)

As you can see, there's not even a tab for them, so how can they be in there? I know they're not saved anywhere else outside of what I've shown you all up until now.

Should I try the risk of creating one?

Untitled.png
    1600 x 900 - 274K
    edited December 1969

You could, but I think you'd be better off creating it in My Library rather than under Runtime. Nested content folders are not a good idea.

edited December 1969

Hi...

Ok, now I understand... As you can see in my previous post of the screen shot of my content library, there is a Scene folder showing in Poser Formats. I don't know why your's does not, other than maybe because our layouts are different.

I agree with fixmypcmike, it's better just to move your Daz format scene files to the Daz Formats>My Library>Scenes folder.

edited December 1969

DS only shows the Poser libraries that are present in the runtime -- if you haven't installed any products that use the Scene folder, it won't show up.

edited December 1969

Hi...

That's very odd then, as that folder was always empty until I put that test scene there, but has been displayed ever since one of the DS 4.0 versions.

Could a product that was Poser content that included an empty Scenes folder in the runtime have put it there? If so, then I understand...

edited December 1969

Well, I decided to take Mike's advice and created my own Scene folder in My Library. Everything is showing up as it should now! :-)

Untitled.png
    1600 x 900 - 344K