Transition from one shader to another?

Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Is there a way to apply two shaders to a figure and tween the transition form the first one to the second one? I loaded M4 and saved his base "texture" as a shader in "My Shaders", then applied a wolf mat pose to M4 and saved that as another shader. I'd like to transform M4 to a wolf...

Any ideas?

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited October 2012

In the shader room at the top of the hierachy of your shader choose Multi shader Mixer.
    For source 1 choose one of your shaders, ditto for the second source, then for mixer chooise the 0-100 slider,
    You should be able to animate/transition the shader by sliding this slider

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

Thanks! Should I need to do this for each of the shading domains, or can it be done once?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    Thanks! Should I need to do this for each of the shading domains, or can it be done once?

Yes. Each of the domains that are to change must be set up as Head Wax (bless his heart for the great, and concise explanation) - but anything that doesn't need to change can be left alone.

However, you will save yourself lots of time by doing the following:
    Set up the first appearance. Example, your base M4 texture.
    Go to 'Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders

Now, in the texture room, you'll notice that you'll only have three or so master shaders to change for the skin appearances. Just change those and you'll be good to go.

YouTube vid I did for Genesis using the exact same method:
    http://youtu.be/3mVohVzS1ok

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I think I have it working, now!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221
    edited December 1969

Awesome Sauce!

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:

Yes. Each of the domains that are to change must be set up as Head Wax (bless his heart for the great, and concise explanation) - but anything that doesn't need to change can be left alone.

However, you will save yourself lots of time by doing the following:
    Set up the first appearance. Example, your base M4 texture.
    Go to 'Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders

Now, in the texture room, you'll notice that you'll only have three or so master shaders to change for the skin appearances. Just change those and you'll be good to go.

YouTube vid I did for Genesis using the exact same method:
    http://youtu.be/3mVohVzS1ok

Dartanbeck - thanks for that excellent tip! I've experimented with this myself and was always frustrated by the vast number of shaders to sift through - removing dups and consolidating should make that a great deal more efficient.