Shader Mixer Scrolling

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

So I'm learning the Shader Mixer tonight but input windows keep projecting past the points the Shader Mixer's scroll bars will let me get to and I have to keep moving the brick around until I find a place on the screen that will let me get at the variable I need.

Is there some sort of setting that makes the Shader Mixers scrolling infinite or at least much larger than it is? Zooming out doesn't do me any good because by the time I get the workspace big enough to show all the values the text is way too small to see.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

So I'm learning the Shader Mixer tonight but input windows keep projecting past the points the Shader Mixer's scroll bars will let me get to and I have to keep moving the brick around until I find a place on the screen that will let me get at the variable I need.

Is there some sort of setting that makes the Shader Mixers scrolling infinite or at least much larger than it is? Zooming out doesn't do me any good because by the time I get the workspace big enough to show all the values the text is way too small to see.

Yeah...a 32" wide screen monitor...

Basically, I haven't found one...and I've played around in SM long enough that I started dreaming in shader bricks.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

LOL. 32" Monitor. I'm going to have the biggest laptop in the world.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2012

I've had networks that scroll on forever...I'm constantly moving things around to get them onscreen.

And yes, I've moved one or two over to the computer in the living room...just so I could see them on the TV (that's how I know a 32" wide screen DOES work...:lol:)

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

Ah! I just discovered the shader mixer is far more easily managed if you make the window undockable.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

You could in DS3 as you got a huge "workspace" with a scroll bar along the bottom and another down the side, but "they" changed the SM for DS4, and for me those changes make it far worse to work with, to the extent that I still use DS3 to make my shaders.

edited December 1969

What I did was zoom out to maximum distance then at each bottom corner of the shader mixer window I put an unused binary math brick. Then I just kept pushing those math bricks out to give me more elbow room on the screen. Think of it as a rolled up document and the math bricks were paper weights keeping the corners flat. I just moved them out until I had more than enough room to work in and then saved it as a default setting.

I just with Daz would remember that I want the shader mixer window undockable.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

If you are having trouble reaching the bottom of the long list of options for Variable bricks, pick one as low as you can go then click again to recall the list - it will now be centred about the option you chose, making those lower down accessible.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

I just with Daz would remember that I want the shader mixer window undockable.

Minimize it when your not using it, and leave it like that when you close DS, when you restart DS it will still be undocked, you just have to minimize it after it's open as it starts in full screen.