Using Rons .asl files in photoshop elements 10 [solved]

RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899

I can't seem to get this to work. I've put them in several different places. Presets->Layer Styles. The layer styles folder buried in programdata and the layer styles folder in my roaming appdata folder under my user name. Each time I have it rebuild the database but while my brushes show up fine the new layers never do. What am I doing wrong?

Post edited by fixmypcmike on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited October 2012

I have Elements 9, and the only place I have ASL files is in Presets > Styles.

I haven't tried to insatll any of Ron's stuff in PE9 yet. I don't have a 'Layer Styles' folder in Presets.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

In my version of PS I alwasys load styles by clicking on the styles pallette within PS and then clicking on the Arrow simple beside layer styles, and loading the styles form my HD using the drop down box., Then when I have finished using that set of styles I can rest the styles pallette to default, and thus remove the styles back to where I stored them on my HD. I find PS loads much quicker if it is uncluttered.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

When it comes to Styles PS and PSE are tow different animals Cho.

This might help http://forums.adobe.com/message/4025169

edited December 1969

OK, sorry. I didn't realise they were that different.

edited December 1969

No need to be sorry, that is why I mentioned it cho. Some of us are not lucky enough to have Photoshop CS. :P

edited December 1969

I use PS7 How lucky is that. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

I am on PSE6. LOL

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Thanks for that Pete, I really thought it was going to work, it took forever to redo the database, but no luck. As you say, they are two different animals. The brushes work fine, just not the ASL layers. A pity, but I can live with it

edited December 1969

As I have PSE6 I know ASL's don't work, t I thought they had sorted that out for 10. I keep promising myself an upgarde.

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Unfortunately I've done that and the styles either aren't showing or I simply don't know where to look for them. I see all the built in styles but not Ron's stuff.

edited December 1969

Sorry with not having the lastest version I have no idea how to do it myself. When I searched google there were loads of posts in other sites about this issue. But it could be a simple case of some CS ASL's just won't work in PSE I really can't say for sure.

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

That could be it. I bought his stuff mainly for the brushes so I'm happy with that. The .asl's would have been a nice 'bonus'.

edited December 1969

Interesting thanks for sharing. I have saved the link for later when I upgrade. Nice find