How do I make my own stones?

tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I am looking into building a stone wall, but the stone materials are too rounded that come with Bryce.

I am looking for stone objects which are more slate like - ragged etc.

How would I go about building a set of different stones which I could use to build a rugged looking slate stone wall.

Or am I making hard work of it?

For those who do not know what a stone slate wall looks like, there is usually about 3 feet height of flat slate rocks laid horizontally interlocking. These are then topped with slanting pieces of slate to form the cap.

I can only think of building a section of wall and then duplicating this and joining it end to end in order to establish the sweeping curves I need.

I'm afraid someone is going to suggest hexagon but I don't think the Hexagon community are ready for the likes of me yet.

Terry

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I have cheated in the past by finding a really good photo of a drystone wall, maniputing it in PS to get a nice grey scale inage, then used that to "build" a wall from either a terrain or a simlat, and then used the photo as a texture.

Make sure you use a photo from somewhere that allows the photo to be used. though.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

http://mayang.com/textures/Stone/html/Stone Walls/index.html

Use:

They are free to use for all uses, whether commercial or non-commercial (you may incorporate them into your derived work with no requirement to pay us any licensing fee etc). Your derived work must involve significant modification to the textures. It would be nice if you could credit us.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

link gives me a 404:(

i think a slate wall is different to a drystone wall - thin strips, seen end-on.

I’m afraid someone is going to suggest hexagon but I don’t think the Hexagon community are ready for the likes of me yet.

We're a pretty tough bunch at the Hex sub-forum - come try us out:)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2012

Well...try the main page.

http://mayang.com/textures/

The space between Stone and Walls in the original link broke it...

The forum software is not playing nice with spaces in links...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

I you wanted to make your own, perhaps creating some with the terrain editor? Create a terrain, go into the editor, then cut and shape some until you're satisfied, exit the editor then stack them as you see fit. That would give you a section to play with. To add variety, they could be rotated, flipped, etc. Curves in stone walls, while they appear smooth, are actually made by minute position changes to the stones. That could also be done in this instance. I've never created a wall before, but it's an interesting idea to try.