Carrara leaves untextured

thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm working on a (fantasy) tree at the moment and a problem I'm having is that the self-made leaf models come in as untextured, regardless of specifying to load the shader when adding them. The leaves that came with Carrara don't exhibit this problem. Any ideas?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited October 2012

I think it has to be added to your leaf folder
    I get this a lot if I use a .car file saved just anywhere
    if I load it from then save it to under my presets for both tree and leaf it will generally work.
    the textures must be in the correct folder too.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

the leaves are in the leaf folder, but the shaders haven't been saved separately. If that is the issue (I'll check) that's gotta be a bug because you can either add them from the leaf folder or load arbitrary files. Thanks for the tip about the shaders.

edited December 1969

The issue is the object's global shader must be set. I haven't gotten testing done to see if it honors per-shading domain shaders, but at this point I expect not. Which would mean you can't do particularly complex objects as leaves.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Thoromyr :)

Carrara's Plant shader, (layers list shader) currently only allows One shading domain per layer, so,.. if you want more complex shaders you need to UV and unfold the leaf / flower / branch model,. and texture it as a single map

As Wendy mentioned, the leaves need to be saved into the leaves folder,.
    If you texture the model, before you save it into the leaves folder, the shader will be saved in the .car file.

I’m working on a (fantasy) tree at the moment and a problem I’m having is that the self-made leaf models come in as untextured, regardless of specifying to load the shader when adding them. The leaves that came with Carrara don’t exhibit this problem. Any ideas?

If your leaf has a single shading domain, and you're saving the textured/shaded model into the leaf folder, then it should save and work as expected.

Hope it helps :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

it seems to prefer a single shading domain with one map too.
    3D paint is good for this.
    it is how I have made my few crappy leaves.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Wendy :)

yeah,. it's got to be a single shading domain, although, you can make a complex model and unwrap that so that you can paint or texture it.

I ran into this as a "problem" when I was making the "Orange street" scene,. since there are fruit's and flowers with short stems on the trees, as well as the leaves.

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Wendy :)

yeah,. it's got to be a single shading domain, although, you can make a complex model and unwrap that so that you can paint or texture it.

I ran into this as a "problem" when I was making the "Orange street" scene,. since there are fruit's and flowers with short stems on the trees, as well as the leaves.

It does not have to be single a shading domain, I've got some "leaf" objects that have multiple. But it must be a single shader. As I noted above it is the global shader (that is the label in the GUI). Maybe it's a minor distinction, but if you want multiple domains you can have, but the global shader for the object is used in all cases.