Bye Bye Daz3d

Comments

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

T Jaiman said:
    . . .
    Hey, while you're here, would you like to see a weightmapped cow?
    . . .

:blank: That just sounds painful.

Does PITA know about this?

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited December 1969

Cyn Art said:
    T Jaiman said:
    . . .
    . . .

:lol:

No, no, not at all, I saw them weightmap one, it just kept eating its feed. It'd just look at them once in a while.

The weightmap paint is non-toxic, and it wipes right off.

We take the greatest care, to ensure our cows do not experience any discomfort. We cooperate with government regulators. And we invite PITA, and any other recognized animal rights groups, to visit and monitor our practices.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Maybe I have been here too long, but I don't buy anything DAZ tells me about the possible future of any app. If DAZ actually followed through we would have optitex dynamic clothing in carrara and a dynamic clothing creation app. DAZ may want to port genesis and the genesis system over to other apps to broaden it's customer base, but like the pie in the sky dynamic clothing creator, I don't see it happening. DAZ is having issues enough getting genesis to work in it's own apps.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited October 2012

T Jaiman said:
    Cyn Art said:
    T Jaiman said:
    . . .
    . . .

No, no, not at all, I saw them weightmap one, it just kept eating its feed. It'd just look at them once in a while.

We take the greatest care, to ensure our cows do not experience any discomfort. We cooperate with government regulators. And we invite PITA, and any other recognized animal rights groups, to visit and monitor our practices.

PITA ?? Don't you mean PETA?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_for_the_Ethical_Treatment_of_Animals

PITA is just a "Pain In The Axx".

Well..., perhaps you were right!

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    Cyn Art said:
    T Jaiman said:
    . . .
    . . .

No, no, no... PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals. :-)

Kendall

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Kendall

Nice :)

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

T Jaiman said:
    Cyn Art said:
    T Jaiman said:
    . . .
    . . .

Kendall

LoLoL :lol:

And thus another brain fart. :coolgrin:~
    I looked at that last night and thought, "I never noticed how People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals also can translate into a Pain In The Arse." - and hit reply anyway. LOL

:P But in my defense of being a true-born omnivore, I don't devour any one that I know personally. (Or that have weightmapping paint on them. I've heard it's nasty.)

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited October 2012

ManStan said:
    Maybe I have been here too long, but I don't buy anything DAZ tells me about the possible future of any app. If DAZ actually followed through we would have optitex dynamic clothing in carrara and a dynamic clothing creation app. DAZ may want to port genesis and the genesis system over to other apps to broaden it's customer base, but like the pie in the sky dynamic clothing creator, I don't see it happening. DAZ is having issues enough getting genesis to work in it's own apps.

...if Daz ever followed through on their promises, S3A would be a stable application instead of the broken one many of us paid our hard earned zlotys for.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2012

Cyn Art said:
    T Jaiman said:
    Cyn Art said:
    T Jaiman said:
    . . .
    . . .

Kendall

LoLoL :lol:

And thus another brain fart. :coolgrin:~
    I looked at that last night and thought, "I never noticed how People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals also can translate into a Pain In The Arse." - and hit reply anyway. LOL

Well, I'll be...

Huh.

I always thought it was "Ithical", or something. I just tossed the literature.

That cute little bleached snob, they sent out, would always say things like "Don't you want to be ithickaaaaal?"
    "Don't you think ahnimuuuulls should be treated by thah same ithical standards as pepuuuuhl?
    (I told her we weightpaint people too, but she just kept on going).

When I asked her why she was... y'know, what she doing out there, she said she was from "Pepuuuuhl for the Ithical Treatment of Ahnimuuuulls".
    Looking back, I did figure out that last one was about our animals, and the first one was people.
    But it never occurred to me that she was talking about ethics.

Well, if she comes back again, maybe I'll be able to figure out what the hell she's talking about.

:P But in my defense of being a true-born omnivore, I don't devour any one that I know personally.
    Well, no. I don't think anyone...

Wait, what?

(Or that have weightmapping paint on them. I've heard it's nasty.)

Well, no, yeah, I don't know about the taste.

I can't say about other weightmapping places, but we never sell our cattle to slaughterhouses. A rancher takes them.

But the paint is water soluble, so there shouldn't be any traces left, anyway.

I don't know about the taste. It hasn't been approved for human consumption, so we can't do taste tests.

But one of the human models might've tasted it by accident, so maybe that's what you heard about.

I'd ask this one model, who's there, right now. But she just quit talking to me, after I accident*cough*accidentally walked in on a painting session.

Most people are surprised, you know, it takes a few days to finish a weightmapping job, it has to dry before they apply the next layer.

But no, wait, oh, you know what? You don't have to worry about the taste anyway. The paint is on the outside...

Post edited by T Jaiman on
    edited October 2012

As human being become more civilized they tend to develop ethics. First they believe that it's not right to mistreat the privileged class. Then that expands to the middle class, then all sorts of social organizations and government support arises to make sure the poor are not abused. That eventually overflows into the animal world through the intelligent critters then down the line through pet critters, draft and meat critters, then lower mammals, to birds, reptiles and amphibians, I think we're about at the stage where lobsters and other arachnids are due for protection (don't touch that spider web!!). I'm waiting for the day that insects (biting or otherwise) have a "bill of rights". Of course it won't stop there. Plants themselves being living creatures too, will eventually be deemed worthy of protection and declared off-limits for salads.

Somewhere in there, someone better wake up and realize what's wrong with this picture or we'll be munching granite cookies! 8-o

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited October 2012

Somewhere in there, someone better wake up and realize what’s wrong with this picture or we’ll be munching granite cookies! 8-o

And respecting all life is bad how exactly? I'm not saying we should go out of our way to protect malaria-carrying mosquitoes, but what you're saying comes across (at least to me) like the words of someone who doesn't exactly consider the environment and animal rights to be important priorities.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
    edited October 2012

I said nothing about it being bad other than the tongue-in-cheek idea of forbidding plants in salad and eating granite cookies.

I do hope you realize that if we don't eat some other form of life we will stop being a form of life? Well, I guess we could eat bacteria burgers. Or we could all eat jello. No, wait..., jello is made from cattle bones. 8-o

Nope, it's down to water and granite cookies.

And for the record I feel very much that the environment is very important and we shouldn't abuse animals but the devil is in the details. Just what is the definition of "abuse".

Here I quit because this could get very political.

edited December 1969

Somewhere in there, someone better wake up and realize what’s wrong with this picture or we’ll be munching granite cookies! 8-o

And respecting all life is bad how exactly? I'm not saying we should go out of our way to protect malaria-carrying mosquitoes, but what you're saying comes across (at least to me) like the words of someone who doesn't exactly consider the environment and animal rights to be important priorities.

Oh, I respect them aminals. The more tasty the more respect they get! :-) It's the height of arrogance for anyone to think that human beings can affect this planet in any long term way. Even if we wipe all "higher lifeforms" from the surface of the planet, in a matter of a few millenia the planet will replace us all and then forget we were ever here.

As far as ethics... us humans get "civilized" then we appoint the most "ethically bankrupt" of our lot to act as our leaders. We're neither ethical nor intelligent.

Kendall

• zyxadtzyxadt Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

Since Daz has moved all hysterically to Genesis I'm afraid the site have nothing to offer for me. So I will not renew my membership like many others. I have been a member for many years and really love V3-V4 and poser stuff, the platinum club stuff has decreased dramatically and not releasing props like they used to do.And I'm not a DS person. This is so sad, cause I enjoy this store. Good luck!
    Victor

I think if you will stick with us over the next couple of months, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the direction we are going with Genesis. I can't give any details, but you Poser users will be in heaven. Stay tuned to the DAZ 3D Channel.

I was hanging in there anyway, so I'm already very pleasantly surprised!

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
    Man never Is, but always To be blest:
    The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
    Rests and expatiates in a life to come."
    – Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Stan

Actually, I'm pretty surprised we don't have our own Dynamic clothing specifically for Carrara.
    We have our own hair and I have been using it to great effect.

edited December 1969

I said nothing about it being bad other than the tongue-in-cheek idea of forbidding plants in salad and eating granite cookies.

I do hope you realize that if we don't eat some other form of life we will stop being a form of life? Well, I guess we could eat bacteria burgers. Or we could all eat jello. No, wait..., jello is made from cattle bones. 8-o

And for the record I feel very much that the environment is very important and we shouldn't abuse animals but the devil is in the details. Just what is the definition of "abuse".

...I'm still waiting for protozoa, plankton, and amoebic rights. :cheese:
  • ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...if Daz ever followed through on their promises, S3A would be a stable application instead of the broken one many of us paid our hard earned zlotys for.

DAZ Studio 3A was perfectly stable for me and thousands of others. Just because it's unstable on your computer doesn't mean it's broken or unstable for the vast majority.

Coldrake

edited October 2012

Kyoto Kid said:

...I'm still waiting for protozoa, plankton, and amoebic rights. :cheese:

I know I said I'd quit but I can't resist the temptation for another absurdity.

Since plants are the only living things on Earth that can survive without eating other living (or once living) entities. Should we be concerned that some day we animals will need to worry about intelligent plants herding us into concentration camps? Should I start negotiating a treaty with my petunias?

edited October 2012

Coldrake said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

DAZ Studio 3A was perfectly stable for me and thousands of others. Just because it's unstable on your computer doesn't mean it's broken or unstable for the vast majority.

Coldrake
    ...stable in 64 bit when one can throw a lot more RAM at rendering, using the Figure Mixer, or Shader Mixer/Baker.

If the memory management, memory leak, and resulting file bloat issues were dealt with as they were supposed to be before Daz moved on to 4.x, I wouldn't be experiencing a lot of the issues I do.

Interesting that my old system can handle rendering in Bryce using IBL and volumetrics (yeah, it takes an age and a half to do so), or Poser Pro 2010 using Raytracing and AO without crashing. Even with the ray depth set to "1" in S3A, using ray tracing is very hit and miss not much less trying to render with an IBL lighting setup like UE.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Coldrake said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Coldrake

...stable in 64 bit when one can throw a lot more RAM at rendering, using the Figure Mixer, or Shader Mixer/Baker.

DS3A-32bit was stable for me on a 32-bit laptop with 2GB RAM and an OpenGL 1.4 onboard graphics chip.

edited October 2012

...so then why am I having so much trouble trying to get scenes to render even with just basic shadow mapping as both your old and my system are pretty much similar (save for the fact I have a total of 4GB so that the OS doesn't compete for memory during the render process)?

I remove parts of large sets that don't affect the scene and use the "Clear Undo Stack" script to remove unused shaders. I don't use Raytracing, I don't use any reflectivity, SSS, AO, IBL, or volumetrics. I do my best to limit use of transparency and transmaps as much as possible and rarely render in sizes bigger than 1024 x 768. I switch the viewport to wireframe view before rendering, always render to a file, and never render while online or performing other processes.

I start out fine, with 2G available for the app., yet, scene files still rapidly bloat to the point I run out of avialable memory. To me this says "memory leak".

I have been using 3.1.2.32 which is the last and supposedly most stable version of 3A, yet my render success to crash ratio has been on the order of 25%:75%.

4/4.5 runs like crap as it demands more of system resources than any of the earlier versions, so that isn't a viable option.

• KageRyuKageRyu Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just for the record, Kyoto Kid is not the only person to have stability problems with DS3A in 32 bit environments. Daz3D was aware of them, and there were countless posts in the old forums and promises to fix not just stability issues, but other features in DS3A that never worked properly, as well as to finish a complete manual for the customers. All of these were abandoned when Daz went to version 4, and everyone who complained was jumped on ande accused of Daz-Bashing, and met with constant replies like "I'm not having those problems, so it must be YOUR computer".

Nice to see it's continuing.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2012

KageRyu said:
    Just for the record, Kyoto Kid is not the only person to have stability problems with DS3A in 32 bit environments. Daz3D was aware of them, and there were countless posts in the old forums and promises to fix not just stability issues, but other features in DS3A that never worked properly, as well as to finish a complete manual for the customers. All of these were abandoned when Daz went to version 4, and everyone who complained was jumped on ande accused of Daz-Bashing, and met with constant replies like "I'm not having those problems, so it must be YOUR computer".

So people aren't allowed to say it did work for them? Someone posts a one line reply sharing their experience and you dig up old war stories.

Seems like you're the one who wants it to continue.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited October 2012

KageRyu said:

Ummm... they DID fix those problems. They just called it DS4.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    ManStan said:

Stan

Actually, I'm pretty surprised we don't have our own Dynamic clothing specifically for Carrara.
    We have our own hair and I have been using it to great effect.

Easy enough, DAZ hasn't found anyone to put it in for them. We may have dynamic hair in carrara, but that wasn't DAZ's doing. Like the bullet physics "DAZ didn't build that". ;) More over most of the new features in carrara are for handling DAZ content.

edited October 2012

KageRyu said:
    All of these were abandoned when Daz went to version 4, and everyone who complained was jumped on ande accused of Daz-Bashing, and met with constant replies like "I'm not having those problems, so it must be YOUR computer.

I don't doubt you. If you say they promised, then I believe you.

I can see both points of view. I can understand your frustration. And your feeling that you were being ignored in the stampede. Or that you perceived yourself as being ridiculed.

But it's somewhat understandable that people would jump to conclusions, be skeptical, or react emotionally.

The ones I saw were usually worded as "They shouldn't have put out DS4, until they fixed DS3", those statements were surrounded with Genesis-bashing and "Daz is the apex of Evil". People who were enthusiastic about DS4 would be strongly inclined to lump it all together. Since all 3 seemed to be saying "DS4 shouldn't have been created - period.." (and the other two adamantly were saying that).

Basically, the only time to complain about it, was the worst time to complain about it.

I doubt that many people knew of those promises, or the bugs. (I didn't see promises, myself, but I have a vauge memory of bugs).
    Understand, that once people are generally satisfied, they tend to quit haunting the bug report threads.

In my case, DS3A crashed every few minutes. Changing graphics drivers was futile. There was no promise of a fix - it was quite clear that I could just use something else, and thus not be there to talk about it. I could get a refund for DS3A (which I got for $1.88). Or put it on my next computer (Which I thought was in the immediate future, so...). Or get a different card. This gave me the opposite reason to bypass bug threads. Those bugs were out of my reach.

Also, there have been many bogus claims about promises, for every sort of thing. And a thousand times as many unsubstantiated ones.How many times have I seen "And here's a link"? I'd say maybe 5 times. It's easy to be skeptical.

And there's the sense of "What's done is done" "It's over, buddy".

In truth, every app maker does this, so what else can be said. Because nobody has been able to change the minds of any of them, AFIK.

The app maker makes no distinction between ver. 3 and ver 58 LSMFT, when it comes to "We will fix that.". Contrarily, they will make that distinction when it comes to upgrade options, and level of support. ;-)

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

KageRyu said:

I wasn't claiming that there weren't people who had problems. I was responding to KK's implication that it was only stable for people with powerful computers.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited December 1969

KageRyu said:

Kendall

Yep:)

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited October 2012

Zev0 said:
    KageRyu said:

Kendall

Yep:)

Some of the issues they didn't fix are still present in 4.5 and they even created some new ones to make up for the ones that they did fix just to make sure people are paying attention but would that make people leave daz? I've seen a few post where people have dropped ds due to instability so I suppose that counts as leaving daz too.

Post edited by adzan on
  • KageRyuKageRyu Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

KageRyu said:

So people aren't allowed to say it did work for them? Someone posts a one line reply sharing their experience and you dig up old war stories.

Seems like you're the one who wants it to continue.

Several posts in this thread say quite specificly that no one else is reporting them - that's not me just diggin up old war stories.

And this statement of yours proves my point.

@Kendall - going to a new version is not fixing the bugs in the version that was promised, especially when the newer version was even buggier for many people, and completely unusable by other who were happy with DS3 and just wanted the bug fixes promised.

But whatever...same old storry. Someone has issues and those without are quick to jump on them - and then also quick to complain they are unfairly targeted when the past pattern of said same behavior is brought up. pfft.