DAZ server problems

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    RonS said:
    I just wanted to say THANKS to Taozen for his work in this area. I greatly appreciate what he has done to help compensate for DAZ's horrible decision to change their shopping cart system. I cannot believe DAZ actually thinks that THIS is an improvement.

Of course it is! It's more stable! :coolgrin:

Dana

I'm not sure DAZ has the right definition of "stable". Sometimes a "stable" is full of s**t.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited September 2012

I can only hope this is a VERY temporary problem. I bought 4 items yesterday-I went through all 4 download attempts. I got one product yesterday- and a second today-after reset, And I did clear my cache. Unfortunately, the third and 4th still give me errors. Of course-only after spending minutes downloading junk!
    I saw Taozen posted something that is supposed to help- does this work on Macs?

No, it's Windows. There don't seem to be many Mac programmers around, who write these utilities and such.

You've got my sympathies. I hope you don't have an urgent need, and if you do, then more sympathy.

I suspect that much of the problem is pretty short-term. But I can't guess any less vaguely than that.

DDOS attacks appear to figure into it.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited September 2012

RonS said:
    I just wanted to say THANKS to Taozen for his work in this area. .

Ditto on that one. Mod's are always appreciated :-) Thankless job, been there, done that. Add to that a thank you for the utilities.

Happy, happy, joy, joy ! Everything is working fine now and the pages are loading fast. Somebody fixed something somewhere and thanks so much for that. I have not seen the pages load that fast here in a while.

Now stop fooling with it ;-)

Post edited by Blaine91555 on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    Taozen said:

Umm, not sure what you mean by "Do that now"?

I didn't notice it's easy to misread, in type. And I forgot the comma, and the emphasis. "Do what, now?" is a comedic phrase a friend coined. (Unless it's an "ism" I haven't heard for decades). I forgot it's obscurity. It means "What unheard-of thing did you tell me to do?" .

Ah, OK. Don't think there is an equivalent to that phrase in the server code though... :)

I'm a bit sleep-deprived, I think I follow that. In any case, I was blaming the server. (But guessed the wrong detail, I guess... must sleep...)
    Me too actually, probably why I mistook "that" for "what"...

I hope your brain doesn't respond with a "Do what, now?" (mine does sometimes when I'm overtired and try to sleep) LOL

edited December 1969

RonS said:
    I just wanted to say THANKS to Taozen for his work in this area. I greatly appreciate what he has done to help compensate for DAZ's horrible decision to change their shopping cart system. I cannot believe DAZ actually thinks that THIS is an improvement.

You're welcome!

edited December 1969

I can only hope this is a VERY temporary problem. I bought 4 items yesterday-I went through all 4 download attempts. I got one product yesterday- and a second today-after reset, And I did clear my cache. Unfortunately, the third and 4th still give me errors. Of course-only after spending minutes downloading junk!
    I saw Taozen posted something that is supposed to help- does this work on Macs?

Unfortunately only Windows. It might work on a Mac running MONO though with some minor modifications. But DAZ is relasing their own download manager (dare I say soon?) which should work for Macs also.

edited December 1969

RonS said:
    I just wanted to say THANKS to Taozen for his work in this area. .

Ditto on that one. Mod's are always appreciated :-) Thankless job, been there, done that. Add to that a thank you for the utilities.

You're welcome - though I'm not a mod, actually. :)

Now stop fooling with it ;-)
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Problem is that most software is always more or less broke (just like most DAZ customers LOL).

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

After trying to download a product I purchased from Daz a countless number of times, all unsuccessfully, I just tried Taozen's 3D Content Downloader temporary fix, and it worked like a charm - the very first time! Thanks so much for a wonderful tool, Taozen!!

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    After trying to download a product I purchased from Daz a countless number of times, all unsuccessfully, I just tried Taozen's 3D Content Downloader temporary fix, and it worked like a charm - the very first time! Thanks so much for a wonderful tool, Taozen!!

You're welcome. Sorry that some of the features have been disabled, but that was necessary to make the fix work. Hope they fix things so they can be enabled again.

• launoklaunok Posts: 778
    edited October 2012

@ Taozen,

I have tried to download via your tool but it's not working and I do have the Microsoft network file needed on my system in order for this to work. I am on Win XP sp3.

I have made a print screen of what is happening while downloading. I eventually had to stop the download process as almost all my files for DS4.5 free version had the same problems as in this print screen.

I am not computer literate and does not know anything about technical stuff and would not know how to fix this either. I am a lady pensioner try doing art and that is all I know about computers, lol!

Do you have an idea why this is happening as in the print screen attached? Or should I download only 1 file per time maybe? Could this be too much trying downloading 11 files altogether?

Since you are making this tool available for other sites too, such as RDNA and Renderosity, could you try making a tool for ShareCG too. For months I am experiencing download problems where the same happens as now at Daz3D where the downloads don't want to complete fully, specially files more than 10 mb. I have written an email to Dave Heller from that site but he can't explain it really. ShareCG needs Flash to work and I do have the latest Flash also. This is so frustrating and some uploaders are willing to give me temporary links as 4shared to get the items from ShareCG. But I can't expect all to do this favours. :down: Rendo and RDNA and other sites I have no problems with so far.

Kind regards,

Laura

Daz_download_problem_still_existing.jpg
    628 x 456 - 121K
    Post edited by launok on
    edited December 1969

launok said:
    @ Taozen,

I have tried to download via your tool but it's not working and I do have the Microsoft network file needed on my system in order for this to work. I am on Win XP sp3.

I have made a print screen of what is happening while downloading. I eventually had to stop the download process as almost all my files for DS4.5 free version had the same problems as in this print screen.

I assume you're having problems with downloading from DAZ with other programs and browsers as well?

Have you always had problems with downloading from DAZ or did it first start after the problems with the DAZ site a few days ago?

As for making a downloader for ShareCG it won't make much sense the way that site works, and I doubt it would solve your problems anyway since everything seems to indicate that they're caused by either your system (e.g. network settings, firewall setup), your network connection, or your ISP.

You could try to run some of the tests at dslreports and see if they report anything unusual.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

edited December 1969

Laura,

Are you using the Browser tab or the Download tab to select the files for download? I found you need to select your files using the Download tab.

edited October 2012

Taozen said:
    launok said:
    @ Taozen,

I assume you're having problems with downloading from DAZ with other programs and browsers as well?

Have you always had problems with downloading from DAZ or did it first start after the problems with the DAZ site a few days ago?

As for making a downloader for ShareCG it won't make much sense the way that site works, and I doubt it would solve your problems anyway since everything seems to indicate that they're caused by either your system (e.g. network settings, firewall setup), your network connection, or your ISP.

You could try to run some of the tests at dslreports and see if they report anything unusual.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Taozen, thanks for reply. Normally I can download from DAZ quite successfully. I can remember though during the 1st time I have downloaded the free Hexagon 2, Daz Studio 4.0 and Bryce 7.1 when it was released free earlier this year, all the files downloaded successfully except the Bryce 7.1 content I tried several times, even after resetting, with no luck! If I remember correctly, the size was about 600+ mb (nowadays one can't see sizes) and it would go up to say about 350 mb and stops there, sometimes more than that, other times less. I am now still using Bryce 7.0 contents with 7.1 version. The larger files seems to be problematic, although DS4.0 downloaded fully which was about 430 mb.

To answer Mari-Anne's question, I am using the download tab next to the files listed in the download section at DAZ.

I am not sure if this could be the problem but since my computer was formatted and my brother installed Win XP with SP3, I am having problems especially at ShareCG. Prior to the format I used Win XP SP2 for a long time and downloads went actually great at ShareCG and Daz3D as well as other sites. Both Firefox and IE7 do same thing at DAZ & ShareCG but normally Firefox works and download greatly. I had tried IE8 but most of the time my pc crashes, even IE7 has given me problems and I actually prefer Firefox which doesn't crash at all! IE is really a pain! I will give that "dslreports" a try and see what it will show.

I am on ADSL but MWEB in South Africa (my ISP) numerous times has problems with Seacom international cable, not sure how stable it is lately. For instance, last night (midnight) the speed was all of a sudden only 4-8 kb/second (and very unstable) whereas normally I can download between 25-30 kb/s or more at that hour as traffic is less then. Today better though but not quite what it should be. I have the smallest speed modem for adsl as I can't afford as pensioner higher speed modem monthly costs. But even with this modem I get good download speeds for my needs, only now in some incidents having problems. I will try DAZ downloads again after resetting later in the week and see what will happen then.

Regards,

Laura

Post edited by launok on
    edited December 1969

O dear, I see what Mari-Anne meant by browser or download button. She referred to your program! When I had a look at the screen shot I saw I was in fact on browse and not download. Will try that then again later.

Laura

• mdlark1966mdlark1966 Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

I'm experiencing major problems with the entire site. Windows XP and FF 14.0.1. IE seems to work just fine, but I'd rather not use IE unless I have no other choice in the world. And even then I'd still rather not. :) I would love to say that my problems are related to downloads, but I can't even shop the site in order to purchase anything. I hope they get this fixed soon - clearly something is seriously broken, somewhere, and DAZ is losing business because of it.

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

I'm experiencing major problems with the entire site. Windows XP and FF 14.0.1. IE seems to work just fine, but I'd rather not use IE unless I have no other choice in the world. And even then I'd still rather not. :) I would love to say that my problems are related to downloads, but I can't even shop the site in order to purchase anything. I hope they get this fixed soon - clearly something is seriously broken, somewhere, and DAZ is losing business because of it.

Yeah, I'll add my voice as well. Firefox and even tried IE which gave the same results. I was lucky enough to log in but actually shopping...nope.

edited December 1969

I tested the site. Seemed a little slow for a bit, but I was able to checkout with the latest freebie.

As usual, it affects some and not others. Therefore, if it's a bug (often), it'll be a pain to track down.

edited December 1969

launok said:

Taozen, thanks for reply. Normally I can download from DAZ quite successfully. I can remember though during the 1st time I have downloaded the free Hexagon 2, Daz Studio 4.0 and Bryce 7.1 when it was released free earlier this year, all the files downloaded successfully except the Bryce 7.1 content I tried several times, even after resetting, with no luck! If I remember correctly, the size was about 600+ mb (nowadays one can't see sizes) and it would go up to say about 350 mb and stops there, sometimes more than that, other times less. I am now still using Bryce 7.0 contents with 7.1 version. The larger files seems to be problematic, although DS4.0 downloaded fully which was about 430 mb.

OK, not that unusual with broken downloads, it's often caused by unstable connections.

So basically this seems to be a problem with the DAZ server (or rather CloudFlare which the DAZ files are being redirected through right now). Which is no surprise since there are problems right now. The type of error is unusual though, never seen it before with the downloader. How much does it download of a file before you get the error and does it vary from file to file?

Could also be it was just a temporary problem, currently DAZ is working on the problems and probably trying out different solutione so it is possible that the server may respond in unusual ways in periods, because of this.

I am not sure if this could be the problem but since my computer was formatted and my brother installed Win XP with SP3, I am having problems especially at ShareCG. Prior to the format I used Win XP SP2 for a long time and downloads went actually great at ShareCG and Daz3D as well as other sites. Both Firefox and IE7 do same thing at DAZ & ShareCG but normally Firefox works and download greatly. I had tried IE8 but most of the time my pc crashes, even IE7 has given me problems and I actually prefer Firefox which doesn't crash at all! IE is really a pain! I will give that "dslreports" a try and see what it will show.

Well it does indeed sound as if your PC has some problems. I use XP SP3 myself on this machine and use IE 8 all the time, with no problems at all.

Sometimes Windows simply doesn't install correctly, I have experienced this myself a few times. Doesn't take much to break something in an OS. The only cure seems to be to reinstall again. and see if that helps. and then when you got a well functioning system, make an image of it so you can quickly recover it if something goes wrong. In general., Windows should be reinstalled every 6 months for there is constantly something that breaks, especially if the system crashes often. Having an image of a freshly made and well functioning system makes this very easy. I restore my systems this way every 3-4 months, and it's rare that I have any problems at all.

I am on ADSL but MWEB in South Africa (my ISP) numerous times has problems with Seacom international cable, not sure how stable it is lately. For instance, last night (midnight) the speed was all of a sudden only 4-8 kb/second (and very unstable) whereas normally I can download between 25-30 kb/s or more at that hour as traffic is less then. Today better though but not quite what it should be. I have the smallest speed modem for adsl as I can't afford as pensioner higher speed modem monthly costs. But even with this modem I get good download speeds for my needs, only now in some incidents having problems. I will try DAZ downloads again after resetting later in the week and see what will happen then.

OK. Yes, poor connections is still a problem in many places. I hope things work out for you one way or the other. I've just checked and I can see that DAZ has directed download back to their own servers again instead of going through CloudFlare, maybe things are back to normal again now.

edited December 1969

launok said:
    O dear, I see what Mari-Anne meant by browser or download button. She referred to your program! When I had a look at the screen shot I saw I was in fact on browse and not download. Will try that then again later.

Laura

No you did it right, otherwise you wouldn't see the log file in the Browser tab. :)

It is possible to log in and download via the browser in the program but there's no point in doing this as it's simply a copy of IE. You can just as well use IE instead then.

edited October 2012

Well looks like DAZ has directed downloads back to their own servers again, instead of letting them pass through CloudFlare. Let's hope that fixes the download problems...

Post edited by Taoz on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Well looks like DAZ has directed downloads back to their own servers again, instead of letting them pass through CloudFlare. Let's hope that fixes the download problems...

--------
    Cache-Control; Pragma: public
    Cache-Control: must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
    Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 05:01:34 GMT
    Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
    Set-Cookie: frontend=ok8jujtfaepo2m2gbnq1i2pko4; expires=Wed, 03-Oct-2012 08:21:34 GMT; path=/; domain=.daz3d.com; httponly,CUSTOMER=ddf6802a15a117e2e58a9cb48ae32af0; expires=Wed, 03-Oct-2012 08:21:34 GMT; path=/; domain=.daz3d.com; httponly,CUSTOMER_INFO=a8d1c6d28e0be092b0d8ad401ebbe58a; expires=Wed, 03-Oct-2012 08:21:34 GMT; path=/; domain=.daz3d.com; httponly,CUSTOMER_AUTH=15823e992a89a55a6bdba9c201495781; expires=Wed, 03-Oct-2012 08:21:34 GMT; path=/; domain=.daz3d.com; httponly
    Server: {deleted}
    X-Powered-By: {deleted}

P3p: CP="CAO PSA OUR"
    Content-Length: 14539429
    Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=IM00004958_daz-sheep.zip
    Vary: Accept-Encoding
    Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Content-Type: application/zip
    --------

You really should remove these lines from publicly posted forum articles. Knowing the server version can reveal much about vulnerabilities of a system without adding much to the discussion. Yes, anyone who's likely to be trying can get that info, but there may be those that don't look at a source as a target until they see a specific vulnerability.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Taozen said:

--------
    Server: {deleted}
    X-Powered-By: {deleted}

--------

You really should remove these lines from publicly posted forum articles. Knowing the server version can reveal much about vulnerabilities of a system without adding much to the discussion. Yes, anyone who's likely to be trying can get that info, but there may be those that don't look at a source as a target until they see a specific vulnerability.

Kendall

Aren't we overreacting a bit here? If you're looking for servers with vulnerabilities, you can probably find hundreds of targets in a few minutes, with a script.

But I agree, the information is probably not very useful to anyone here, so I've deleted it anyway, to avoid any further disputes....

• 3D Vitality3D Vitality Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

I can't shop anything at the time & I'm more than angry when I read that the problem is up now for weeks - and NOT solved.

update, 2 hours later:

I need 9! attempts on several computers in different configurations till one attempt worked! (BTW it was a WIN7 with IE9)

A (partly) not working shop is a bad advertisement for such a big company ... and if there's a smell of "we don't care about" the things went soon more bad. :coolmad:

edited October 2012

Taozen said:
    launok said:

Laura

No you did it right, otherwise you wouldn't see the log file in the Browser tab. :)

It is possible to log in and download via the browser in the program but there's no point in doing this as it's simply a copy of IE. You can just as well use IE instead then.

TAOZEN,

Thank you for your reply.

I saw Daz is now using old server again. Today at 11:10 am, I have started downloading the Genesis Essentials 1.4 and so far the process is still going fine (now at 13:55 pm SA time) it stands on 200 mb so far - hold thumbs!!! Speed range from 18-22 kb/s. However, I have no idea when I can expect download to complete as I don't know the actual size of file(s). Daz old site usually showed file sizes, not anymore on product as well as download pages.

How can one establish how big the files are? In the download box of Firefox, it only show the process, bytes done and speed and stating: unknown time remaining! I am not sure if I can now start another file, while this one is still downloading as it could drop the speed drastically. Only Daz3D is now open and no other web pages as I try getting the best possible speed.

Laura

Post edited by launok on
    edited December 1969

launok said:

How can one establish how big the files are? In the download box of Firefox, it only show the process, bytes done and speed and stating: unknown time remaining! I am not sure if I can now start another file, while this one is still downloading as it could drop the speed drastically. Only Daz3D is now open and no other web pages as I try getting the best possible speed.

Now that DAZ has switched downloads back to their own servers, the downloader has been updated so it's fully functional again. This includes the option for getting the file sizes only, without downloading the files.

Check the checkboxes for the files you want to know the size of, check the "Get file sizes only" checkbox, and click the Start button. It will now list the size of the individual files. Note that this will use up one download per file.

http://taosoft.dk/software/3dcondo/

Hope this helps.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Ummm, hey, Taozen -- I got the latest version of your downloader (and I got the fix too), and neither of them download anything. :( I wonder if the problem is at my end, in cache, or possibly servers still hiccuping final burps? Does your latest version work OK for you?

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

The latest version of downloader will log in but won't download anything at all.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550
    edited December 1969

My Cache clears every time I close. It worked for a couple of hours last night, but pages loaded really slowly. I can open the home page by clicking on the link in the newsletter and the forums open fine from the links in the dropdown.

I click on "Shop" and the main page opens, but I click on a link (in this case animals) I get the attached image and links do not work.

It did work fine for a few hours yesterday as I said but then today it's back to not working right again.

I have the fastest speed cable broadband that I can buy and no issues. All other sites work perfectly and pages load almost instantly, but not here.

I get the same thing and the store pages look the same as what you posted. I haven't tried to d/l anything, guess that should be next.

edited December 1969

launok said:

I saw Daz is now using old server again. Today at 11:10 am, I have started downloading the Genesis Essentials 1.4 and so far the process is still going fine (now at 13:55 pm SA time) it stands on 200 mb so far - hold thumbs!!! Speed range from 18-22 kb/s. However, I have no idea when I can expect download to complete as I don't know the actual size of file(s). Daz old site usually showed file sizes, not anymore on product as well as download pages.

Good for you, Laura! I felt for you and am glad you're finally getting your Genesis Essentials file.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Ummm, hey, Taozen -- I got the latest version of your downloader (and I got the fix too), and neither of them download anything. :( I wonder if the problem is at my end, in cache, or possibly servers still hiccuping final burps? Does your latest version work OK for you?
    The latest version of downloader will log in but won't download anything at all.

Weird. Mine works.

Pretty sure I used the latest, to download, this morning....

So I just tried, with the latest, and it worked. (I picked a Mac file, first to test the file-size, and then to download).

The previous one, the fix, worked for me too.