Download page isn’t working on the web site

Henry_938786Henry_938786 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

When you try to download any of the programs, it stops and does nothing at all or it only downloads a brief part which doesn't not at all.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The site has been a bit slow for a day or two. Are you downloading these items from your 'Available Downloads', or another part of the site. Did you 'buy' the items from the store and go through the checkout?

The best thing to do, is to clear your browser cache, and try again. If that doesn't work, you could try a different browser.

• LilwolffLilwolff Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

Several people have had problems downloading recently. I personally have several files since friday that either give me an error message or I get incomplete files that will not install. Changing browsers or clearing cache has not worked for me. I suggest you add your trouble ticket.

Sorry I could not help more but at least you know it is not just you. ETA on when it will be fixed is anybodies guess but this has been going on for days.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I should think it will be fixed today. DAZ don't normally work weekends. There was probably a lot of heavy traffic with the 50% PA sale, and it is still going on.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I just downloaded a LARGE File in IE9 just fine. Installed 100% okay.

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

DAZ did have some site problems over the last few days. Even some hardware problems, These appear to be fixed and working well.

• RainRain Posts: 335
    edited December 1969

I'm still having problems, I just did a ticket to DAZ. I keep getting the message ` File could not be saved, because the source of the file could not be read`. I also got the incomplete files.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OK I shall flag this up again, as I can confirm that there are problems for some people .

• LilwolffLilwolff Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

It is still not working as of a couple of seconds ago. 3:25 pm Eastern US I get the same error about source files not be read that I already did a ticket on to sale the other day.

Honestly I don't care how busy the site is, what is on sale, or what day of the week it is. If you sell it you should have adequate means for people to get their downloads that you have already taken their money for. Getting sick of trying and if it is not fix soon I will just request a refund and send my apologies to the vendors involved.

edited October 2012

Lilwolff I said I would flag it up, and I have. The web team are investigating as we speak.

Thread moved to the Commons as it is not a New User issue Per Se.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Please note Daz_BFurner has just posted this in another thread

We "DAZ 3D" has verified that many download issues exist. There was some system issues late last week, we are looking into the cause of all the download errors. I was able to reproduce one of the errors on my computer. The web team has been diving into this issue for several hours. We hope to have a resolution quickly.

My experience was trying to download a large file, and after about 2 minutes it error-ed out. There are many issues this is just one. We will keep you informed as this gets resolved.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,722
    edited December 1969

DAZ did have some site problems over the last few days. Even some hardware problems, These appear to be fixed and working well.

I believe it's the CloudFlare service that's causing some of the problems. Currently it's the CloudFlare servers that delivers the DAZ files, the problem with this is that the file headers are missing some parameters like Content-Length (file size) which causes problems for some programs.

I filed a bug report with CloudFlare yesterday, asking them to fix their file headers, but the only response I got was this:

----
    "f you are having issues with downloading files through CloudFlare, the simplest would be to have your users download from a subdomain not passing through CloudFlare. (grey cloud).

This type of file type is not supported as far as caching.
    http://support.cloudflare.com/kb/top-frequently-asked-questions/which-kind-of-file-extensions-does-cloudflare-cache"
    ----

If you check the list on the page the link leads to, you'll see that EXE and ZIP files are not supported by CloudFlare caching, which may be the reason why the file headers for these files are missing some parameters.

Also see this thread:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8672/

• SoskSosk Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

my issue is connected i think but not quite a download. I bought and downloaded Worldbase Lushlands. it seemed to download without issue but wont respond when i try and install. doubleclick on the exe file - up pops the "do you wish to install" box then nothing. ive installed other daz/poser exe files since and they have been fine. anyone else having this problem.?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,058
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:

I believe it's the CloudFlare service that's causing some of the problems. Currently it's the CloudFlare servers that delivers the DAZ files, the problem with this is that the file headers are missing some parameters like Content-Length (file size) which causes problems for some programs.

I filed a bug report with CloudFlare yesterday, asking them to fix their file headers, but the only response I got was this:

----
    "f you are having issues with downloading files through CloudFlare, the simplest would be to have your users download from a subdomain not passing through CloudFlare. (grey cloud).

This type of file type is not supported as far as caching.
    http://support.cloudflare.com/kb/top-frequently-asked-questions/which-kind-of-file-extensions-does-cloudflare-cache"
    ----

If you check the list on the page the link leads to, you'll see that EXE and ZIP files are not supported by CloudFlare caching, which may be the reason why the file headers for these files are missing some parameters.

Also see this thread:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8672/

If CloudFlare does not support zips and exes they should not be interrupting download streams when they do a cache refresh -- but that is what seems to be happening.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

my issue is connected i think but not quite a download. I bought and downloaded Worldbase Lushlands. it seemed to download without issue but wont respond when i try and install. doubleclick on the exe file - up pops the "do you wish to install" box then nothing. ive installed other daz/poser exe files since and they have been fine. anyone else having this problem.?

Quite a few of my problems were identical to your situation - I got the "do you wish to install" question, but then nothing happened. Check your file size - it may be that you didn't get the entire file downloaded. Again, this situation is remedied by Taozen's fix.

edited October 2012

namffuak said:

If CloudFlare does not support zips and exes they should not be interrupting download streams when they do a cache refresh -- but that is what seems to be happening.

Technically I interpret "do not support" as "do not handle correctly". The ZIP and EXE files from DAZ are passing through CloudFlare but CloudFlare has no Content-Type parameter in the HTTP header for these files which may be part of the problem.

But I can see now that DAZ has directed downloads back to their own servers again so maybe things are back to normal now.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    namffuak said:

Technically I interpret "do not support" as "do not handle correctly". The ZIP and EXE files from DAZ are passing through CloudFlare but CloudFlare has no Content-Type parameter in the HTTP header for these files which may be part of the problem.

But I can see now that DAZ has directed downloads back to their own servers again so maybe things are back to normal now.

If one could manage to get the whole file down before the cache went for a refresh then there were no problems. Using a ultra high speed connection I was able to bring down several hundred megabytes of content. I timed it like this: Start a download (any file), as soon as it fails start the download of the file I wanted. Using this method I was able to bring down files >200MB.

From my research, it was definitely CouldFlare. Also, CloudFlare has been having issues of their own the last week. So unsupported content+cache refresh intervals set too close together+internal network problems = poor user experience.

BTW, services like CloudFlare are supposed to keep users from seeing "page not found" errors from bad connections. If one is using a caching service and users are getting pages like those reported, the failure is on the part of the cache provider.

Kendall

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,058
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    namffuak said:

I admit to being a bit of a fossil :-) - old-school mainframe sysprog retooled to a unix (Aix) sysadmin, so I've no clue on how you're doing the html diagnosis. Could you point me to a viable tutorial? (And apologies to the rest for the off-topic here!)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    Taozen said:
    namffuak said:

I admit to being a bit of a fossil :-) - old-school mainframe sysprog retooled to a unix (Aix) sysadmin, so I've no clue on how you're doing the html diagnosis. Could you point me to a viable tutorial? (And apologies to the rest for the off-topic here!)

This is more HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol) than HTML. http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html

There is some forensic bleedover, mostly in URL/URI encoding, Forms variables, or JavaScript that can tell you some important information. Those rfc's are scattered across many files.

In truth, your Unix TCP knowledge will probably get you 80% of the way there.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    namffuak said:

If one could manage to get the whole file down before the cache went for a refresh then there were no problems. Using a ultra high speed connection I was able to bring down several hundred megabytes of content. I timed it like this: Start a download (any file), as soon as it fails start the download of the file I wanted. Using this method I was able to bring down files >200MB.
    Kendall

Sounds plausible. I tried a 417 MB file, 3 times it failed, the 4th time I got it. Must have hit the right time when getting the last one. That's on a 17 mBit connection btw.

In general I have had very few problems downloading anything except for tiles over 100 MB. Had one single error when I downloaded 130 ZIP files of varying size 1-80 MB, the rest tested OK in WinRAR. But of course, things may have been worse in some periods than in others.