Spyro and Jaderail Collaborative Projects

SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
edited October 2012 in Art Studio

This Thread has been created to serve as our communication terminal for the various 3D projects we are collaborating on.

Current freebies available at Share CG:

Tribal Bow
Bow prop with draw back morph and base textures.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/64858/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Tribal-Bow-(UPDATED)

Tribal Bow (Expansion Pack 1)
V4 and Gn supported Smart props for Tribal Bow.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/64872/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Tribal-Bow-Expansion-1-V4-Gn

Fiberglass Bow Set
Hunger Games (film) inspired bow set. Including the Bow, Quiver and Arrow

http://www.sharecg.com/v/64932/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/FG-Bow-Set

Post edited by SpyroRue on

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2012

Here is WIP spear head. I think I mentioned something about high poly earlier…

Well I meant it lol

Basically I made a primitive box. I scaled it into a rectangle and made it thin. Then I shaped it into the leaf shape, editing the mesh and using the scale tool, one row of verts at a time.

Then I used soft selection, a feature in 3ds Max that I love and use all the time… It makes life so easy I tell ya! SS was used to refine the leaf shape then add the carving details on the surface.

I’ve attached a perspective view with smooth&highlights; and a wire frame screenie.

I haven’t touched the surfaces or material parameters, this is all the mesh. FYI - I’m gonna duplicate this, and weld it to it’s other side… Because it’s such high poly I had to work on one separate face of the object, else, I’d go insane just trying to select a single vert.

Let me know what you think, and I’ll continue to work on it, making any adjustments you may want.

Spyro
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is awesome, much better than anything I was ever able to do. you really have some skill there Mark. Thank you for doing this.

Jaderail
    TestWIP_1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 27K
    TestWIP_2_WireF.jpg
    503 x 620 - 164K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited October 2012

Ok, I continued working on the spear.

Here is various Wire Frame screen shots of what I've done so far. The pack will consist of 6x props.

4x flint spear heads, various scales for use as carving props for your characters.

1x Straight Spear

1x Spear with slightly bent shaft

All are exceptionally high poly. all separate colours on the spears will be individual material zones, and can be set invisible to allow you to use unique variations between characters.

The spears have chord wrappings or Grip you could call it. They are high enough poly count so that I could shape it with slightly indented rows of verts making it appear as if it is actually chord. There fore, displacement maps only need to be light and only to help the bump mats.

If your liking it so far, I will commence UVW mapping and will export them to daz to await texturing.

FYI - The character for scale reference is default Genesis.

WIP2_P4.jpg
    1468 x 746 - 236K
    WIP2_P3.jpg
    1468 x 746 - 358K
    WIP2_P2.jpg
    1468 x 746 - 777K
    WIP2_P1.jpg
    1468 x 746 - 240K
    edited December 1969

Just to add onto my previous post... Here is a reference photo in which was my inspiration for the spears.

il_fullxfull_325865848.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 392K
    59f1624ffaf081e4359af9e4ecb74ac5e342e3b1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 162K
    edited December 1969

Some close up wire frame.

WIP3_P3.jpg
    1479 x 741 - 526K
    WIP3_P2.jpg
    1479 x 741 - 472K
    WIP3_P1.jpg
    1479 x 741 - 434K
    edited October 2012

Jaderail said:
    Spyro said:
    tjohn said:

Thanks! Yoink!
    Stupid question: I don't guess the smart propping for the tribal will work with this one? (he asks while looking the gift horse squarely in the mouth) :)

Nar, the Tribal bow has its own smart propping, It would have to be re-made for FGBow and Jaderail did it with the Tribal SP. I'm sure a SP expansion will come soon... I'm working on making some renders atm :cheese:

All I need is permission and I could get this set smart propped by the end of the day. I do have questions because I have never seen the movie. Where does the quiver go on the body?

Of course you do Jaderail! :cheese:

Quiver is on back, Katniss (The character) is right handed, so she holds the bow in her left.

These are the reference pics I had

tumblr_m162l77UDG1r2ae1jo6_500.jpg
    500 x 500 - 308K
    jennifer-lawrence-bow-arrow-article-image.jpg
    400 x 300 - 10K
    hunger-games-katniss-everdeen_458.jpg
    458 x 610 - 44K
    hunger-games-world-will-be-watching-closeupSMALL.jpg
    1082 x 1500 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Spyro said:
    Of course you do Jaderail! :cheese:

Quiver is on back, Katniss (The character) is right handed, so she holds the bow in her left.

These are the reference pics I had

Okay, I spent the afternoon with my brother so I got no work done. I had my clinic thing so I put it off because I did not feel great as well. I'm much better now and will get this done later, I'll try to do some better positions so the users will not need to do as much tweaking when they pose the characters. The TBow was a pretty quick test that worked, so I never fine tuned them. I'll take more time on this set. I'm thinking of including Hand poses as well and maybe a upper body pose pack with all the props Smart propped. All that might take a day or so (I'm thinking Saturday) but I think it would really help make the set(s) more popular.

That do you think? Poser format so all users can use them.

P.S. I'm working on the Poser/DS mat thing so the sets will be 100% poser and DS right out of the box.

All good. I look forward to seeing what you come up with :cheese:

And the poser mat would be AWESOME thanks heaps... I'd do it but I don't got poser.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay, so I'm thinking we are forming a team? I'm 100% in (heck, I was in any way). As for the spear work I'm loving it. One question? Can I get a knife handle for the blades? Shish, I hate to ask but one wood and one bone maybe? I'll do the joining of the parts if need be.

I'm glad you like the Poser format idea, It's about time I used the stuff I've learned from all the great people on the last two Daz3D Forums. I really feel like I will be able to give back to the 3D community now that you wish to work with me.

Thank you.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    As for the spear work I'm loving it. One question? Can I get a knife handle for the blades? Shish, I hate to ask but one wood and one bone maybe? I'll do the joining of the parts if need be.

Sure thing :cheese: I have already done some research on that...

Here are some good ones I liked... Are these perhaps what your thinking of?

il_fullxfull.315229514_.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 410K
    flint_knife_advanced.jpg
    450 x 217 - 27K
    59968.jpg
    599 x 443 - 72K
    AntiqueWoodBoxPrimitiveHauntedDollBlackLeatherMagicHexArrowheadHorseboneCopperStagHair(6).jpg
    1000 x 750 - 127K
    2u76gpk.jpg
    400 x 400 - 27K
    edited December 1969

and some more references...

il_fullxfull.263021126_.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 503K
    iGinelli07.jpg
    425 x 170 - 16K
    edited October 2012

The bottom four (last two from first post then the next post). Those are exactly what I'm thinking. If I can not find this stuff I'm real sure it just is not to be had. Maybe others wanting this kind of props as well.

I'll do some pz2 pose files and test them for your props. When I do, What rez should I do Image files for promo's or would you like to do those?

EDIT: can you get a sharper point on the Leaf Blade? Looks a little blunt.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

can you get a sharper point on the Leaf Blade? Looks a little blunt.

Yep. shall do.

I’ll do some pz2 pose files and test them for your props. When I do, What rez should I do Image files for promo’s or would you like to do those?

Sounds good! If you would like to do the promos then sure, no probs. Just grab the promo jpg found in the RAR files for either the tribal bow or the FGBow... Share CG degrades the quality of them anyway, but that was the size I rendered them, I just added the BKG and text in Photoshop.

After your done, which would be after I'm done of course just email it And I'll submit it with the rest. :cheese: Be sure to put your name on it as well I wouldn't have made it had you not of suggested it. And you are helping assist in the ongoing design requirements, not to mention the Pz2's!

I'll email you the PP2 and OBJ files when I've exported for continued work as a RAR/ZIP folder.

For now I'll continue working on the model, and update you as I go :)

edited October 2012

Update 4

Here I did some sharpening... My little tribal guys will be most pleased LOL Maybe even Chief worthy!

Two perspective views. One gives you a better Idea of the thickness, which is hard to see in wire frame.

UD4_3.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 81K
    UD4_2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 46K
    UD4_1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 48K
    edited October 2012

Okay I think you got ahead of me. I did mix this together a bit. I'm asking if you want Hand Pose and body poses done for the Tribal Bow and the new Bow prop set as well? I can also go back and do Poser and DS auto load Mat files once I get it 100% (very soon by the way) for both sets as well. It will mean yet one more Update for TribalBow but I can get it all done at one time for the new prop set. Does that sound good to you?

P.S. NO Hurry on this Primitive stuff. Take your time.

EDIT: You posted as I did, great work! That looks so darn good.

edited December 1969

First of Hand Poses! WOW that's awesome... Totally yes! I'm sure people would love that. Because the community is split in 50% Genesis and 50% M4/V4 (likewise 50-50 Daz and Poser) It might be worthwhile keeping support for both figures in terms of hand poses, like you did with supporting both GN and V4 for the smart propping.

Well in regards to the tribal bow, I'm thinking it would be annoying for people to have to re-install Tribal bow for another update... So perhaps hand poses should be a separate 'expansion', instead of updating to 3.0

As with the FG bow set, again, I'm thinking a separate 'expansion' instead of an update. In future, I'll send props to you for the testing, added features and poses before submitting them on share CG, that way it's all in one the best we can before release.

When I say expansion, I mean it will be a separate installer, that requires the actual prop, so the contents of the expansion will only include the add on content (So when it's installed it will merge with the already installed item/prop.) This is pretty much how Daz and RO operate with expansions... so it is practical and people don't have to keep updating the original file and get confused as to weather or not they have the up to date one.

Also, If your into texturing, it would be cool to make expansions for the props we make that offer additional textures. I'm sure there's heaps of possible textures that would work well with the props.

edited October 2012

I fully understand the need to do expansion sets for items that are already released. I also thank you for including me in future releases before they go live. I just want to point out that with my health issues I might hold you back, I do have days that I'm confined to bed all day for my own good. I've been around the 3D world long enough to see the need for updates to install to the same folders and I also see the need for the cross platform useability and the V4, M4 and Genesis ease of use for items. That is one reason I'm working on the DS and Poser mat auto load thing. So all 3D artist can use them without doing extra work. Just a good practice as far as I'm concerned.

I can also send all my work to you in rar form with all the folders set up if you like. That way all you would need to do is install to the Runtime folder and the files would be right where they belong for testing. I wrote install tutorials for users that never used a Zip format before, I know the proper way to do all that (I'm more a nut's & bolts person than a big render person).

When it comes to texturing, I'm a big shader user. I don't have the skill or hand control (arthur) to do textures on UV maps any longer. I can set them (soon, I say this week) so that they will work properly in DS and Poser once a set of textures are made.

I hope you find my skills useful (you could do it all in just a few days I'm sure), I like being useful.

edited December 1969

One more thing, I just thought about what I said. I'll include M4 Smart Propping for the FGbow expansion as well. And add it for the Tribal when I do the poses.

edited December 1969

Yeah I understand about the health stuff... That's all fine :) I was already aware of that. There are lots of nurses/carers in my family and as it would happen I completed my aged care certificate a few months ago (An alternative for me should I need more work or decide I've had enough of Security Industry... So far security work has been stable, though there are sometimes some quiet periods.) So I have had experience working with people with similar problems.

As for the M4 support, I think the gen 4 users will love you for it :cheese:

In regards to textures/shaders, I've got some idea's for some new texture expansions, so, when I get time, I'll create them and sent them to you :) I know nothing of creating additional materials presets for props so I imagine your expertise can making it happen :cheese:

The RAR format would be great, it's speed up things considerably.

And Jader, you ARE "useful" LOL You've taught me so much, I mean a couple of days ago I didn't even know how to make a basic prop! Now I'm makeing High-poly models complete with morphs, textures and shaders lol I'd still be using the rare items found in the stores, and a lot of people wouldn't have downloaded new freebies recently. You're a great instructor, and I owe it to you :)

edited December 1969

Flattery will get you everywhere. I'm off to do lots of stuff today, keep an eye on your in box. I'll send as I finish each part of a set so you can test. As for the promo image thing I mean the Extra images you can put up on ShareCG, ones that would show the Poses in use kind of thing not the Main splash image. Those are for you to do.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Flattery will get you everywhere. I'm off to do lots of stuff today, keep an eye on your in box. I'll send as I finish each part of a set so you can test. As for the promo image thing I mean the Extra images you can put up on ShareCG, ones that would show the Poses in use kind of thing not the Main splash image. Those are for you to do.

Yeah Ok that sounds good :) No-worries with the promos and I'll be looking. :cheese:

edited December 1969

Update 5 - Knife 1 of 3

Here is the first knife. Will consist of two props... One with a bent hilt the other being straight.

Also attached the ref pic that I made this one based on.

il_fullxfull.315229514_.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 410K
    WIP5_P2.jpg
    1112 x 787 - 174K
    WIP5_P1.jpg
    1112 x 787 - 482K
    edited December 1969

WIP Update 6.

4x knives.

I'm going to work on a bone knife now I think. Jader, If you're happy with these so far, I'll begin UVW mapping. (Once I've done the bone)

WIP6_P2.jpg
    1062 x 782 - 178K
    WIP6_P1.jpg
    1062 x 782 - 455K
    edited December 1969

These were the ref pics I used that inspired the design...

And here is the bone ref image, I'm considering making (It will have a pelt wrapping, not brass rings.)... If you have any Idea's on a bone weapon just post pics or ideas or whatever.

AntiqueWoodBoxPrimitiveHauntedDollBlackLeatherMagicHexArrowheadHorseboneCopperStagHair(6).jpg
    1000 x 750 - 127K
    iGinelli07.jpg
    425 x 170 - 16K
    flint_knife_advanced.jpg
    450 x 217 - 27K
    edited December 1969

Dude you are Awesome. Those look GREAT! I so envy your skill, and with Mech4D's new model in the store I bet items like this will be in demand very soon. I got very little work done today, I found myself in charge of my brother and all his monthly shopping today. It should have been two hours but turned into a all day thing. I should have the V4 set ready tomorrow night for the FGbow set. I have the clinic in the morning so I should have all day to work tomorrow. Converting from V4 to Genesis is Fast, the M4 set might be just as easy but I will not know until I get to him. Note to self: do M4 next because we know Gene is easy.

I'll be back with some shots and stuff tomorrow. I only have a hour left today and then I must turn in. Just enough time for shower, last meal (5th in day, snack thing really) a bit of reading then sleep. 5am comes to darn fast on clinic day.

edited December 1969

Hmm.. I've hit a small wall. I'll get to that in a min, First off V4 and Gene Smart Props are done, M4 is forcing me to go back to step one again. Not long and it will be done as well. I'm switching between projects just to stop burn out, so I'm back to the Wall part now. I have played with the poses part (hands and archer) thinking that one Pose for V4 used on Genesis and then translated to M4 would be quick and easy. I was wrong, I'll need to do different pose files for each figure, (V4 to Gen is close but still LOTS of tweaking). I've looked at the Auto load texture thing (load and it picks the proper texture for the program) but I'm still learning that part. It would help if one of us used Poser, I can get a copy cheap but I'm sure it would take longer to learn Poser than to ask another user to just test the files.

Any way I just wanted to let you know I'm still working and ask about the Quiver before I finished the File(s) and moved them to a Runtime. Does these look okay or should I edit them and if I should I need to know how.

Capture4.jpg
    253 x 426 - 18K
    Capture3.jpg
    255 x 417 - 15K
    Capture2.jpg
    290 x 419 - 20K
    Capture1.jpg
    268 x 420 - 17K
    edited December 1969

They look great! It's a nice angle well done. Take your time, this isn't something that has a deadline. 1, it's free, 2, It's largely a learning experience and is for fun.

I thought you were a poser user :s wonder who is then? I imagine Cho is a bit busy being a MOD. Bigh is Bryce, Skiriki is Daz/Hexagon, Wendy is Carrara/iclone... Wonder what Ps1Borg uses? I haven't got it, though I once have used it, and I couldn't work it out at all! It's rather different to Daz, and more so like Bryce. 3Ds Max is extremely advanced but it's seems to have inspired a lot of features on Daz and Hexagon down to even shortcut keys.

Don't burn yourself out, the community has the default props, so they've got it all to play with :) We can just do what we can, as we can :cheese:

edited December 1969

I'm not gonna burn out, I just have a touch of AADD. The fact I added stuff was my idea so I could swap from project to project as I got bored. :-P Doing that helps loads.

Okay, as for the 1, it's free. The better the work (You model like a pro) the bigger the user base that will follow you from a Freebie artist into a Published Artist (make money as a content creator) when you do it (I can see that happening as you move forward). 2 a learning thing, for you yes, I'm just dusting off stuff I learned (mostly) when 90% of the items came in Poser format and we did it this way just because. I'm really surprised it has worked because I never really tried any of this before :cheese: . Yes it is fun, (I was a programmer way before I was a 3D render type person). My real joy is making things do what I want them to do (on a PC), so I'm happy doing this stuff. It does what I want!

With all that said I still say you can (and will) be doing this stuff in your sleep before long. You pick up stuff fast.

edited December 1969

Recently I've been doing heaps of research for 3ds Max. I think my skill in that software has greatly improved in the last few weeks since several years ago when I studied it as part of my Digital media diploma. It was an interesting course, most of them were more Adobe, 2D people, and they dropped out mid way through 3d modeling and Animation. Where as for me, I flourished and worked strongly through it with high determination. (FYI) Out of about 15 people, only two of us actually completed it) I'm proud I did! 3D is like a painting a giant canvas, anything goes and we're only limited by the paint, brushes and skills... Determination overcomes all of these limits. :cheese:

My view on 3D: "Anything that exists in the real world, can exist in the 3D world."

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

keep it up guys - looking good

edited December 1969

O'lord, First thanks bigh that means lot's to me. But I feel so darn old now. When I was in School hand held calculators cost so much that only well off families had them and the kids sure as help did not carry them to class, and the school offices were still run with electric type writers and lots of filing cabinets. I studied Commercial Art Graphics for six years (pen, ink and paper) and they teach folks Digital Media in class now. I bet my $30 emergency cell phone has more brains than the Vic 20 I stated with. Man it's a new world, thank the great one I'm still in the game at all.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited October 2012

Jaderail said:
    O'lord, First thanks bigh that means lot's to me. But I feel so darn old now. When I was in School hand held calculators cost so much that only well off families had them and the kids sure as help did not carry them to class, and the school offices were still run with electric type writers and lots of filing cabinets. I studied Commercial Art Graphics for six years (pen, ink and paper) and they teach folks Digital Media in class now. I bet my $30 emergency cell phone has more brains than the Vic 20 I stated with. Man it's a new world, thank the great one I'm still in the game at all.

you bet - well if we are going back that far - we didn't have calculators in my time :roll:
    we were lucky to get art at all and it was pencil ( might have 3 diff. types ) - only used a number 2
    keep on trucking my friend

http://youtu.be/od8cUvPyvsg

Post edited by bigh on